Thursday, July 8, 2021

and this is how it goes


Woke up to heavy rain Tuesday morning and a nervous panting dog at 6 AM. Fortunately it didn't last long. And it rained Monday too only just lightly and Wednesday morning. While I didn't get over to the studio Monday I did get two compositions done with the yellow angel trumpet flowers that I'm happy with. But of course, I have to alter them to fit the stands I have or display them differently.



Two and a half years ago I had three stands made for three fairly simple pieces, not high dollar work. The stands he made for me previously, the most expensive one was $75 and larger than the three new ones I ordered, one 5” wide and the other two 6”wide, so I was a little shocked when he charged me $115 each for the new ones. If I was to send these pieces to a gallery, I would have to double the price of the stand adding $230 to the price of the piece so I framed the work for wall hanging instead.



My error with the new sketches was I drew them for the 5” wide stand, forgetting that it was inappropriate for the 8” height of the sketch. Well, fuck. I enlarged them to fit the 6” wide stands but now they are too tall. So now I'm back to square one. So do I want to go with the shorter wider revision for the stands or stick with the original drawings and mount them for wall hanging and design something else for the stands (edit - this is what I've decided to do).

Well, I have plenty of time to think on it as the next thing up is filling the drowned feather mold. I got the mold cleaned up



and then my dilemma was doing the volume measure. Usually I weigh an amount of water in a container in grams, pour that water into the mold to the appropriate level, pour the water out of the mold into a basin and then weigh the water that's left in the container. Subtract figure two from figure one to get the weight of water that filled the mold. Multiply that by the specific gravity of the glass in relation to water, in my case with Bullseye glass that's 2.5, to get the weight of glass, in grams, needed to accurately fill the mold.

I know, right? Math.

But I was concerned about the strength of the plaster/silica mix of the mold and didn't want to do that. Fortunately, there is another method. Fill the mold with sand. Amount of sand equals amount of water, weigh the amount of water and do the math. First thing I did was sift my sharp garden sand to get out the larger pieces and dry it out in the sun.



and then gently spooned it into the mold and smoothing it out level. 3 1/2 cups of sand= 3 1/2 cups water weighed and I have my volume measure converted to weight of glass. The kicker is making sure every grain of sand is out of the mold so fingers crossed on that. I've brushed it out, rinsed it out, examined every square centimeter over and over, rinsed it out again, and I have declared it ready to be filled with the glass powders and frits. May not be able to devote a large enough span of time for that til Friday.

Also I'm experimenting with some wire mesh as a support for the modeling glass lichens during firing which will also involve the fiber paper wedges seen in previous photos but not this one. I think it will work, will probably run it by the lady who formulated the modeling glass and see what she thinks.



In other news, I made french toast Sunday morning with real french bread, well, the HEB's version of french bread. Probably more accurate to call it french style bread.


And then I made the complicated roasted cauliflower with green olive dressing on Monday that Ms Moon sent me the recipe for. I think that's probably all the cooking I'm doing for the rest of the week.


 

24 comments:

  1. Math AND science, woman! I couldn't do it. I wouldn't even be good at getting the sand out. It's going to be lovely, though.
    I've made the roasted cauliflower so much that my husband has suggested that I now put that recipe on the list for things I make when he's out of town. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I doubt that will happen here as I don't mind making involved recipes now and then, only twice so far, and also because I have another roasted cauliflower recipe that is much simpler.

      Delete
  2. You have such a good brain! Your ability to measure and think things through and do maths astonishes me, and , in the end, you have created beauty. I want you to be in charge of this world, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's really not that difficult when somebody tells you what to do and gives you the formula. I didn't come up with this myself.

      Delete
  3. Your many processes, both in regard to gardening and in your art work, show a high level of energy directed in positive directions. It's occurring to me that yoga is one of the places where your energy is directed, too -- along with blogging, reading books, and life in general. All my life, I've been on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to energy and need a lot of sleep at night and naps because I burn out quickly, doing many of the things you do each day but to a far lesser degree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a high metabolism I guess. never been able to just sit for long.have to get up and do. probably why it takes me so long to get through a book.

      Delete
  4. I would hang your mold on my wall, it is art in itself. I might have said that already. I love hearing about your processes, but where's the photo of the french toast from real french bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eaten, I'm afraid. not the picture but the french toast.

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of math combined with art, such an interesting project.
    French toast! Wow, I haven't thought about that in years. Nice reminder. And yum for roasted cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. math is also involved in the mold making but I don't do that part. you have to figure out the volume of the model being cast and then the volume of the necessary investment mix to adequately cover it.

      Delete
  6. That's a very complex process. Hats off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is. complex, time consuming, and frustrating at times.

      Delete
  7. My math days are over. Amazing what a TBI steals.
    I've read about the rain in Texas. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and today too. woke up to light rain and it has rained or sprinkled all day.

      Delete
  8. You influenced me to buy peaches (from Georgia - so good!), and I influenced you (I think) to make French toast. Too bad you can't influence me to be more industrious!

    I'm kind of excited that you've decided to do wall mounts because that means we get to watch ANOTHER project for the stands unfold. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, yes. it sounded so good and I hadn't made it in a long time. I'm glad you are excited because coming up with a design for these stands has not been easy.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a complicated process! I wonder how you learned to do this? It sure looks so beautiful when finished. How creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is. complicated, time consuming, difficult. we are self taught. there was no instruction in the technique like there is now. we learned basic glass casting at a workshop and went from there. the lost wax kiln cast pate de verre technique we use we developed from researching researching the little info that was available on the 19th century french artists who pioneered this technique (which wasn't much as each artist had his own approach and they were very secretive about their processes) and jewelry casting, ceramics, metal work, trial and error. eventually our failure rate diminished and now it's rare to have something fail but it still happens. hope I didn't just jinx myself. the work I do now is pretty simple compared to what we started out doing with two and three part molds.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoy your descriptions of your process, even though I'm math averse and to some degree math incompetent. Now, French toast I understand. I wonder if anyone ever has created a breakfast in glass? I should go look that up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually there are glass artists who have done food ...hamburgers, french fries, popcorn, pizza and I specifically remember someone doing bacon and eggs. it doesn't appeal to me, but it takes all kinds I guess.

      Delete
  11. I never realized how much calculating would be involved in filling the molds. I just assumed you poured the powdered glass in like the sand and fired it up. I should have known there was more to it than that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has basically everything in it, work, dog, food and maths.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.