Sunday, July 4, 2021

distractions


Declaring I'm going to spend three hours a day in the studio (or working regardless of my physical location) is easier said than done. Things get in the way, like my SHARE morning on Thursdays and grocery shopping day which varies and outings with my sister and now 4 new channels for TV. 11 AM to 2 PM is the most productive time slot. It's also when I go to the grocery store or run errands. 2 PM to 3 PM is lunch and after that it's all downhill. Late afternoon is when I tend to household chores, IF I tend to household chores or I might get some work in. Feed and walk the dog falls into early evening and then it's cocktail time. I guess the important thing is that I'm doing something every day, well except for yesterday. Friday I managed over 2 hours.

The little lichen pieces were dry enough to flip over and so Thursday and Friday I have been adding modeling glass to the underneath to add thickness and strength and a more secure connection than just pressing two pieces together. I figure this doesn't look like much to you but this is what the underneath side of the lichens looks like now. Of course there's no before picture to compare, because...me, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it is smoother and a bit more substantial than it was before and I've started cleaning up the drowned feather mold.




A new distraction is The Mandalorian. We watched two episodes after lunch Thursday and two on Friday. We don't actually watch that much TV. Mostly it's just on. But if we want to watch something the best time is after lunch.

Anyway, Pam and I went to Rockport Saturday for their annual art festival. Last year didn't happen of course and there were a lot of new participants among the ones I remember from years past and some that didn't return. I'll do a separate post on it.

Even so, even with the distractions, a part of my mind is still on the work. This is a good sign. Looking at the cloud filled sky on the drive to Rockport I'm thinking how I would reproduce them in glass, what colors, what order, rethinking a sketch for a piece, maybe eliminating the central panel, see the white wild roses on the side of the roadway and thinking I hadn't done a white wild rose with bee so maybe I'm not through with that series, actually looking forward to some hours in the studio today, Sunday.


 

13 comments:

  1. Have an inspired day in the studio- best thing you could do ! Even inside out Your work intrigues me. It is such a cool thing that you do

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I posted anything on my blog and I'm trying to catch up on everyone's blogs too. I would love to see a bumble bee with the white rose. It would be so pretty. I tried to get David to take me to Rockport Saturday but he said nope. He said it was too hot and I would be out in the sun and it would flare up my Lupus. Sometimes I still don't think about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the show comprises four long tents that make a square and the artists have booth space in these long tents and many have fans blowing. also there is a huge air conditioned tent in the middle with musical performers and food vendors that you can escape to when you get too hot. it was hot but the sky was full of clouds. we did two 'sides' then retreated to the air conditioned tent, had some lunch, cooled off, then did the last two sides.

      Delete
  3. Your creativity is so inspiring. I love all that you manage to get done. I'm going to have to work on time management and snap out of my lethargic gray foggy sky moods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like you swung wide the door to art and all is flowing in again. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! I've only ever seen glass in the handblown style, so this is a whole new ballgame for me. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really happy you're working again! It will be fine when you decide to hang the glass up, but you didn't seem happy about that prospect, so I'm glad your muse woke up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds as if you got your groove back. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring. I am expecting great things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to the Rockport festival; all I do is go down to visit the cemeteries in wildflower season! I didn't realize until recently that people buy iphone cases with every sort of decoration, and when I looked, I was astonished to see how many display feathers. Maybe you should find a way to market some of your designs to people who are making iphone cases -- just as a side hustle to your real art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ps. Your email and link worked just fine for me, although I have you in my Feedburner account, too. My next step: training myself to remember to check that thing out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to hear how you see things and want to make them into your art. Such a creative mind you have!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.