Thursday, February 11, 2021

hey North, your weather is down here drunk on my lawn and you need to come get it


I've been watching the birds at the bird feeder all morning. There's some new birds, I think, but they won't stay still long enough for me to get a good look and maybe identify them. Maybe the goldfinches weren't goldfinches after all or maybe they've already migrated on. If they were/are here then it is the non-breeding coloration but then I saw a few that I'm pretty sure that's what they are. And sparrows, many kinds of sparrows. And another little bird that looks like maybe a goldfinch but then it doesn't, perhaps a vireo or a flycatcher, neither of which I don't think I've ever seen and maybe a few of the warblers are still around. They're all very feisty out there today chasing each other away anticipating the approaching cold weather perhaps.

And cold weather is approaching. An arctic blast is arrowing down to us. It's already causing havoc in the northern part of the state with a 100 vehicle pile up outside Dallas and another smaller one around Austin because it's not just cold, it's rain and snow too so the highways are icy. It's currently 35˚ this Thursday evening and this is what they're predicting for the next 7 days...


Eleven degrees Monday night!!! with maybe snow and/or sleet! This doesn't happen here. I've already covered the ponytail palm with help from my sister. Also a poor attempt at protecting the big jasmine that was already putting out buds over in the shop yard. At the house I've covered the porterweed, the hibiscus, and the gardenia and brought in all the pots I had taken outside plus one or two more that I didn't worry about with a light freeze. There are other things I want to cover but I ran out of time and materials today as it started raining. I'm going to lose all the Boston fern that I've spent the last three years trying to get re-established on the west side of the house. And the emerging buds and flowers on the azaleas will get destroyed so no blooms on them this year. The yellow bells and the purple orchid bush will freeze to the ground as will the two yellow and one pink angel trumpets and I don't know if they will come back from a deep freeze. I'd like to cover the plumbagos but it might be easier just to replace them. I hung the big tarp across the back of the garage to help protect the plumerias and night blooming cereus and discovered the nest wrens are making. It's that pile of leaves back there in the plastic box of work gloves. I knew they were working on a nest but I thought they were refurbishing the old one on the top of the motor housing for one of the garage doors.

After it started raining I came in and covered some of the windows. We don't have any curtains, just mini-blinds, and the windows in the lower part of the house don't even have those so I tacked up some old sets of flannel sheets over all but one wall of windows.

We were busy at SHARE today but not because we had a lot of people come in, about 10 I think, but because we had a lot of food delivered. First some private donations, including 200 pounds of chocolate candy, 


then the truck from Walmart, and finally the big truck from the food bank in Victoria. And I got the shelf of soup organized again.

I'm ignoring writing about the impeachment trial because it makes me so angry knowing that the traitorous republicans will not vote to convict. I mean, what does a president have to do, how bad does he have to be, for them to decide it's bad enough to convict? Extortion wasn't bad enough and now an attack on our very democracy, an attempt to overthrow the election and install himself as president for life isn't bad enough? Some won't vote to convict because they are all in on Trump, others won't vote to convict because they are afraid of Trump going after them when it's time for re-election but I have to say, if they won't do their jobs out of fear of losing their jobs, they don't deserve their jobs to begin with and as to that  today, 15 republican senators didn't even bother to show up and Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee were seen meeting with Trump's lawyers today. Well, they're going to lose one way or another because the democrats won't forget their dereliction of duty and we will be reminding the voters of that when the time comes so you'd think they would rather lose their jobs over doing the right thing as opposed to doing the wrong thing. 

And once again I am behind reading your blogs.


 

15 comments:

  1. Like you, I am beyond angry, sad, dismayed _____ (enter your own descriptive adjective here) that our elected representatives (senators and congressional reps. both) are such wimps when it comes to doing the right thing. Such blatant dishonesty is a slap in the face to every person who voted them into office. On a good note, I dearly love all your flowering plants/trees. They are a sharp contrast to my brown hillsides. Many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is a cold week! It is bitter up here but we are used to it pretty much. I drove around in my car to get warm today. Sorry about your ferns and the others who might freeze. Keep the faucet dripping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If 15 republicans don't show up for the vote, instead of 17 republicans yes votes they'll only need 7 to convict. I hope they continue to stay away. Your title post made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, send that weather right back up here--we'd love to have it! Spring in February! Sorry, know it IS tough for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe you're going to get down to eleven degrees. That's nuts! Doesn't look like we're going to be affected except for rain. Spring will be canceled until next year for you when it comes to blooms. I'm so sorry! As for the Republicans- you know exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we are used to the cold so it is easier on us. Hope your damage won't be so bad... Stay cozy and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little bits I've seen on the nightly news and WAPO have sent be into high dudgeon, so I figure that's all of the hate in my heart that I need. Hope the plants survive. We're down to one sensitive plant, all the rest can go down to 20. Yours are way prettier, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ELEVEN DEGREES?! Holy cow! I wonder if it will really happen. Maybe like here the prediction is much lower than what will eventually happen. Fingers crossed! Can you cover the roots of the angel trumpets to give them some added protection? Would that help?

    The Republicans are terrified of their own constituents. I don't know if that says more about them or the voters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about the freeze. Yes, the republicans are afraid. All this fuss and he will now be able to go on the attack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last year, we up north, were gifted with a very mild winter but this year February has been cold and snowy and is getting in the way of people getting their Covid shots. I am counting the days till spring.

    I have been glued to the TV watching the impeachment trial. It is so upsetting, but yet I watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so surprised by how cold it is there. Yikes. I hope this crazy arctic blast lightens up soon.
    I am worried about our country's future. My representative in congress sent an email last night. Here's what he wrote:
    "Fantastic job by House Manager at the trial today. Especially powerful for me was the way they explained the dangers of not convicting - the ongoing domestic terror threats, and the message it sends to our adversaries and allies alike. As Rep. Ted Lieu said, "I'm not afraid of Donald Trump running and winning, I'm afraid of him losing and doing THIS all over again."
    Also, Jamie Raskin was masterful in putting all of this in context, reminding Senators that in the history of the civilized world, democratic republics like ours are really rare. The norm is monarchies and other forms of tyranny, and if you lose your republic, that's what you get. All of us need to appreciate that what we have is indeed very special, and we need to be clear-eyed about what happens if it slips away."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a first, since reading your blog, you may have lower temps than we do. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellen, the world is topsy turvy when Texas is colder than Ohio! What the heck! (OK, I just checked & Xenia is supposed to get down to 7 on Tuesday, but still...) Of course we already know that the world is topsy turvy because of your last paragraph. It's just so frustrating & criminal - and the worst part is that they don't even try to hide how evil they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been in Texas in February. My cousin was preparing his garden.
    I am truly sorry for what you will lose. It's nothing to gloat over, north or south, to lose that much that is growing.
    I don't watch the news, I'd rather read it. The one time I settled in the watch the world was Feb 6th. I tuned in to the president's speech and then the outside storming of the capitol. I'm glad I didn't read that first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just howled at your title. Ain't that just the truth. I'm hoping you've escaped the ice so far, and I hope we escape it completely -- although I'm sure we won't. I finally snapped to and got some windshield washer fluid to put in the car instead of the plain water that was in there. I learned that most of the stuff on the shelves is good only to 32F. That won't do it, this time around. I hunted, and found some good down to zero. Friends in Austin, Kerrville, and Fredericksburg have had significant power outages: multiple, and long. I finally decided to make the effort to get my biggest schefflera into the house, and I managed it. I can feel it in my back, too.

    Stay warm and safe -- this is going to be a bad one.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.