Thursday, December 19, 2019

unexpected cold and a vote for the rule of law



Well, damn. It was only supposed to get down to 30˚ last night so I didn't cover the ponytail palm. At 7:30 this morning it was 27˚ and the bird baths were frozen solid. I also didn't turn on the little heater in my sister's makeshift 'greenhouse' because at 30˚, everything would be fine. So I hope everything is fine. Plenty isn't here that remained outside...the penta, the star of India, the black and blue salvia, the ginger, the hibiscus, and more badly burned by the below freezing temps but not dead.

I had to get up at 5 AM yesterday to pick my sister up at 5:30 to take her to the airport. She usually flies out of Hobby to visit our brother over the holidays but he made the reservations and so she was flying out of Bush Intercontinental, an hour and a half drive with no traffic. Fortunately it was early enough that traffic through Houston was minimal, only one or two slowdowns which resolved quickly, and I used the Beltway on the way home to avoid rush hour coming back. It was exactly 3 hours round trip. I didn't do anything else all day. Except I did make it to yoga last night, the last session til after New Years, and I stopped by my sister's house to check on the Demon Duo. Remember those two cute little kittens I kept for two weeks last summer? Yeah, them.

We did get the car unpacked Monday and the display and associated materials stored in the shop, but I haven't unpacked a single thing and may not for a while. And I may just sit and read today.

So, yeah, Trump is officially impeached right along party lines except for that Republican in Democrat clothing Tulsi Gabbard who didn't have the courage to vote either way, saying only 'present' when her name was called, straddling the fence...didn't want to piss off the Republicans. I wish I could say it was unbelievable the lies that just rolled off Republican tongues yesterday but unfortunately it was not only believable but expected. And Trump reacting in his disgusting selfish pathetic whiny name calling and hateful way, also expected (he tweeted 80 times in 3 hours last Saturday all about how UNFAIR!!! it all is). According to him he has been treated worse than the women in the Salem witch trials (though I fail to see how getting a vote of no confidence is worse than having a big rock tied to your feet and tossed in the lake to see if you float [witch] or drown [innocent]), worse even than Jesus getting crucified on the cross. And then there's McConnell who has been all over the news announcing he has no intention of conducting a fair trial or even trial at all since he is coordinating Trump's defense with Trump and plans to acquit even though he will have to take an oath to be an impartial juror and Lindsey Graham who has already announce that he is not going to be an impartial juror who will also have to take the same oath and you know that the rest of the Republican weasels in the Senate regardless of the many who supposedly secretly support impeachment will do what McConnell tells them for fear of being targeted by Trump's ire and voted out. In fact Republicans are crowing that this impeachment vote by Democrats will assure their defeat in 2020, especially the House members who took over previously Republican seats in 2018. Seems to me what they don't understand is that they lost those seats because the population of those states no longer support Trump and his Republican ass kissers. Seems to me that this vote will assure their reelection. Fortunately Madam Speaker Pelosi is delaying sending the impeachment to the Senate for trial until the House can be assured of a fair trial in the Senate which I don't see ever happening as long as McConnell is majority leader. I'd rather see it continue to hang over Trump's head and further investigation into his contempt of the constitution. And not just the Constitution but our Bill of Rights as well. Trump thinks he should be able to have his political opponents assassinated. This shouldn't be allowed, he said, they do things differently in Guatemala.

Which is exactly why, Mr. Trump, we have a Constitution limiting the power of a President and a Bill of Rights to protect the citizens.




13 comments:

  1. Ugh, politics. I can't even think about it. So sorry about your plants getting nipped (if not worse) by the cold. And a three-hour drive to the airport is quite a schlep. You almost have to fly there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just an hour and a half to get there, the same hour and a half to get back home.

      Delete
  2. I don't think it got that cold here last night. Maybe thirty.
    I listened on and off to the proceedings yesterday and almost puked when that one Republican quoted the Bible, "Lord, they know not what they do."
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Fuck them.
    Wasn't it great how all of the framers were invoked over and over?
    I'm so sick of this shit. Sure, it's great he got impeached and I don't see how the House could not decide to proceed with it but it's not going to do a damn thing as far as I can see. Our country is still made up at least by half of ignorant, racist, sexist people no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Mary, aren't we all sick of this shit. if Pelosi continues to refuse to send the articles of impeachment to the Senate and continue their investigations and likely be able to add even more articles when/if finally goes. I think holding it above Trump's head instead of giving him the easy acquittal McConnell has promised is much better. True, Trump will still be in office but hopefully this will restrain him some and maybe there will finally be so much that even some republicans can no longer hold out. once Trump is gone, however it happens I hope all those people will go back under their rocks.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting tired of all this. I wish sometimes he would just not wake up in the morning but then we would be stuck with something worse in the form of Pence. It's good that the Demonic Duo are at a distance. I hope she has the house insured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are all so weary of Trump and his bullshit but sticking our heads in the sand only allows him more freedom.

      she cleaned off her desk and various shelves and tabletops and stored it all in her bedroom and then put a hook and eye on the door high up because they know how to open the door.

      Delete
  4. We got that cold today (14 degrees) but it will be 50 for the holidays. I can handle that.

    Watching the impeachment made me ill. #3 (formerly 45) has changed our country for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bougainvilleas got nipped this week. None of the forecasts said freezing, but it did. Tonight they're all under sheets trying to curtail any further damage.
    45 is a truly disgusting human being, I could not believe what he said at his last pep rally. Who is paying for those things anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all will need a good vomit when this one is gone. I have a friend who has a childhood friend who has become a born again Trumpster. When questioned about their loyalty, the childhood friend and her husband leaned back and said "Well, our 401K has never done better!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it astounds me that that supersedes all else, all the evil he has perpetrated is fine as long as my 401K is getting fat. meanwhile 44% of Americans make an average of $18,000 a year.

      Delete
  7. That awful frost. Maybe the palm will recover, could happen. Weare forever moving pots in and out, heater on or off in the greenhouse. It's like looking after a gang of unruly kids.

    Read today that the evangelicals are taking a step back from trump. Could be a sign, at xmas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pelosi holding onto the articles of impeachment until the Mitch McConnell agrees to a fair trial is giving me life. I’d hoped for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had frost this morning, but it was expected (if annoying - how quickly I've gotten used to the milder NC winters!).

    I like that Pelosi is delaying sending the impeachment to the Senate - the more time Trump has that hanging over his head the better! And I awoke to the astonishing news that Christianity Today (publication founded by Billy Graham) had an editorial calling for his removal. Of course, they would probably prefer Pence, so they're not necessarily in my corner, but it was refreshing to have an evangelical admit to Trump's moral failings.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.