Thursday, September 12, 2019

trying to catch the wind


It rained again yesterday, an additional inch+ so almost 2” total over two days. Such a relief. It didn't start til late afternoon, had stopped by the time I was ready to drive to El Campo for yoga, got all the way there with just a few sprinkles until I exited into a gray curtain of rain. The deeper I got into town the harder it rained, wipers on high, 30 miles an hour and I could not see past about 20 feet or so. It rained that hard all the way to class, at class, during class finally letting up in time for us to get to our cars and then I drove into it again on the way home but not all the way and it rained more at home after I arrived where I was met with a panicked trembling panting little dog.

Sections of the new gutters are not functioning very well so I need to get Rocky back here to figure out what the problem is.


So I did nothing yesterday in response to the disaster on Tuesday which took the wind out of my sails. Got some feedback from fellow casters, probably cooled down too fast in the kiln and letting it soak in the medium hot water was a bad idea. The peeps think it's fixable though. Just reinvest and recast with a longer anneal and a slower cool down.

I think maybe I'll start on snowflake ornaments today. Something easy and mindless while I decide what I want to do next but first I'm boiling up some new hummingbird syrup. Marc saw five around one of the feeders yesterday so they are definitely starting to migrate through.

Some random photos though it's been so miserable out there and I've been so single minded the last two months that there's nothing much of interest. The yard is pretty tired. Still have zinnias though after this rain they're all laying down, altheas still putting on a few flowers, plumerias are winding down, flowering senna has more developing seed pods than blooms, the yellow bells and ruellia are holding their own, the orange cosmos that usually bloom all summer have not been blooming, and most disappointing of all is the porterweed that I had to order online this year because I couldn't find it locally has not put on a single bloom stalk.

saw this little lady several weeks ago on my poor struggling peach tree





12 comments:

  1. I got 2" yesterday. Yay since I didn't get any measurable amount from the previous rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain!!! Lovely to get, hard to drive through.
    So glad that you think your hard work can be salvaged and saved.
    Don't the butterflies love the zinnias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do, or they would if we had any butterflies. I've seen maybe half a dozen so far this year.

      Delete
  3. We need rain too! I'm mowing today even though it's HOT and dry - can't wait much longer for rain, or it'll be more of a pain to mow. Pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found the reasons for your art problem. That will always help, I think. You still have many beauties out in the garden. My Zinnias are too talk and now collapsing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaves are turning yellow and leaving the vines naked. There was a hard rain overnight, and pots full of yellow leaves this morning.
    I missed on day and I missed your catastrophe. I will read back and find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the damn thing cracked because I was stupid enough to let it sit in too warm water while I had lunch. leaves don't turn yellow, they jus fall off. at least at this point in time.

      Delete
  6. Our gutters overflow like that when the rain is very heavy. Like a curtain.
    It's been a strange summer here too with some surprise flowerings and pretty disastrous apple and nut harvest. Never saw so few butterflies but peaches and plums are abundant and I didn't waste any water on them.
    I am looking forward to the next step with the heron box. Something good will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's possible that the gutter is already full of leaves but only half of it was doing that. I have to get up there and look. no butterflies here either.

      Delete
  7. There you are, now you know what it’s like so often in the UK. Pouring rain we have plenty of. Your garden is not too bad looking. I like the colours and flowers you have, wish I could grow tender perennials outdoors all year. I have already brought in some of my succulents and the little olive tree. There’s a chance of a mild ground frost apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a huge downpour a couple of days ago and our gutters did the same thing...right on to the hydrangeas, which thankfully did manage to survive. (they were chock full of pine needles)
    I didn't know that peach trees had flowers like that, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure what you mean by flowers on the peach tree. it won't bloom til spring.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.