Sunday, September 15, 2019

the wheel slowly turns


More rain on Friday, almost 1/2”! and we're supposed to get even more Monday through Wednesday. The rain lilies responded.


I should get out there and pull weeds now that the ground is soft from all the rain. I did work on cutting out a lot of the dead canes from the climbing roses that go up into the crepe myrtle and the oak on Friday before that fierce furious little storm passed through. I got as much as I could reach with the long handled nippers. There is still a lot of dead wood up there but I'll need a ladder to reach it.

this isn't even all of it, there's another smaller pile

The oaks are starting to drop a few acorns 


and a friend that lives down the highway in Boling told my sister Thursday that he is already getting ripe pecans falling. Seems a little early to me but what do I know. My trees aren't there yet.

I've been working on snowflake ornaments with the modeling glass for the December open house. I've rolled out and cut and dried 23 of various sizes so far. 

these will shrink about 15% during firing

I still have to sift and sprinkle the powder and frit on the base shapes. This first batch will be testing different combinations, then I'll settle on three or four and just go with those since these are supposed to be easy mindless quickies. And then I have some feathers I want to do. Which I was going to start on yesterday but I needed to print out some stuff first and my printer rudely informed me that if I wanted to print anything I needed to replace the ink cartridge. Crap.

I haven't left the property except for going to yoga or over to the shop for weeks. I can't remember the last time I went out. To the feed store maybe or the library. So, grumble grumble, I got in the car and went to the Evil Empire (though I may have to rethink my opinion since after the mass murder at the Walmart in El Paso they have barred open carry at all their stores and apparently are enforcing it) to get ink and of course they didn't have what my printer uses. So back home and log on to the other Evil Empire to have it delivered to me. It's that or drive the half hour through the gauntlet to the shopping mecca in Rosenberg.

I can tell the wheel is turning even though it's still in the 90s here...the pampas grass is sending up it's plumes, the rain trees are putting on buds, the oxblood lilies popped up literally overnight no doubt triggered by the rain we've finally been getting, 


and it's cotton harvest time.

our version of snow




13 comments:

  1. Such beauty, Ellen- from the flowers to the snowflakes. I am so glad you're getting rain. We're dry, dry, dry and none in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers of the rain are just lovely. I remember being in Texas at cotton time. I asked a woman if I could go across the street and pick a couple of bolls. She said Sure, they warn't her fields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Photos For Sure - Stay Dry & Be Well

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been a long dry hot summer so we are glad for the rain.

      Delete
  4. I always love those oxblood lilies. I wonder if we could grow those here? I've never looked into it. The snowflakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the oxblood lilies too - but then I love most red flowers. And blue ones. And purple ones. Flowers, I love flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little rain can produce much beauty. I am glad to read that you finally got some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More lilies. I am in love with lilies. And welcome to rain, any rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh! You have some of those yellow rain lilies! I've seen them a couple of times, but I'd love to see them more often. I just came home to discover we have TS Imelda. Funny that the first thing I thought of was shoes. The path looks east of you, but you'll probably still get more rain from it, and the winds don't look bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dug those out of a ditch in Houston, probably in my old Heights neighborhood, as I recall, brought a few with me when I moved out here and they've been multiplying nicely. next post shows many more blooms. I also have the small white ones but they are almost impossible to get a picture of as the camera doesn't want to focus on them but they're popping up all over the shop yard though they don't grow in clusters like the big white and the yellow. I thought I had some pink but if so they never bloom.

      Delete
  9. Walmart banning open carry is a good move. I too have stretches of days when I don’t leave home. The world presses in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you sustain any damage from Imelda? It was pretty amazing how quickly it went from a depression to a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope and very little rain, maybe 1/2" over 24 hours. it went east of us, pounded Houston and points east.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.