Sunday, June 16, 2019

one more and then on to other topics


I'm trying to keep up with everyone's blogs but I'm rather preoccupied as I'm sure everyone can imagine, still spending hours researching, sent off another barrage of questions via the patient portal. I've had a comment from one twin granddaughter on FB and a face time call from the other and been chastened by my daughter for not telling her/them about the results of my doctor's visit before I published it on my blog. That's not the way for her to find out, she tells me. Oops. My only excuse is that writing about it helps me assimilate what's going on. But, yes, I should have called her first.

Here's some other things I learned...atrial flutter is a right atrial disease, afib is a left atrial disease. In typical cases of flutter, the atrial (the upper chambers of the heart) are contracting at a rate of 150-300 bpm (beats per minute). The atrial rate of bpm is not the same as the pulse rate (ah, so this is why). The pulse rate originates in the ventricles (the lower chambers of the heart) which beat at some ratio of the atrial bpm.

So, the ablation is scheduled for the 25th with a TEE scheduled on the 24th. The TEE or Trans-Esophageal Echo is an echocardiogram from the inside where they can get pictures of my heart without having to look through the rib cage and lungs like a regular ultrasound echocardiogram from the outside, which is what I thought I was going to have after I told him btw, the cardiologist 2 years ago told me I had a leaky valve. I'll have an IV and they will sedate me but not put me under then numb my throat and ask me to swallow a tube with a camera on the end! Not sure I can do that especially with my throat issues. And how do you swallow a tube!? 


This whole thing just gets better and better and by that I mean worse and worse.

I had resigned myself to the outpatient ablation which turned into an inpatient procedure and drug administration and now this! This is way more than I'm prepared for. One of the questions I previously asked through the patient portal was if the sotalol manages flutter as well as afib why not just try the sotalol first to which they replied that it doesn't manage the flutter as effectively as it does the afib and flutter can induce afib so eliminating the flutter first makes it easier to control the afib. Basically. That and that as I age the condition will worsen and possibly become constant. Treating it now is more desirable than treating it once it becomes worse. Well, I have a whole week to decide whether or not I'm going to go through with it or get a second opinion (or rather third if you count the RNP as the first) or decide on trying just the medication first.

I'm in total overload. No more thinking about it til Monday. I have a mold to finish filling, I have a dog to walk, and a yard to water. Eleven inches of rain week before last and the ground is already so dry it's cracking.




11 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your research and clarity of presentation. You will be in good hands, and will feel so much better afterwards. Having a clear picture of the procedure will satisfy your left brain as your right brain continues to create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They told me I would have to do the TEE if the Echo with dye didn't show the doctor what she wanted to see. Glad things worked out for me. Don't worry though. You will swallow without a problem they spray your throat good and you really may not remember much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, your sense of humor will get you through this. I think the procedure has been perfected over time, and you will find that the anticipation is worse than the reality. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you are doing, I gather information from all sources possible with the knowledge that the decisions are ultimately mine and that not everyone will agree with my decisions. I do my best thinking with the part of my heart that knows best. My perception is that you are doing that. There is something mysteriously powerful in writing down what is going on. Sending love and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swallowing is really easy because a) it's a very smooth tiny tube and b) you'll be sedated to the point where you couldn't give a fuck. Seriously. I remember moaning a bit and a slightly sore throat for about half a day afterwards.

    Practice your/any relaxation techniques between now and the day, so you can handle it better. Also, I have no idea what hospitals are like in Texas, but pack some of your own (snack) food and some fruit and don't forget the charger for your phone (as I always do). And ear plugs. Don't forget the ear plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good that veterans of this can offer insights.
    Not fun making medical decisions. When I had my gall bladder out last summer, I kept wishing for at least one doctor to give me a straight answer: "Yes, you need this done and this is why."
    Good thing there are dogs to walk and yards to water to keep you busy in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly done your due diligence. As I would expect you to do because that is the sort of person you are.
    Please don't apologize for being distracted by this situation. It's of extreme importance, purely and simply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google can be a best friend - looking up everything when it comes to health concerns and a bloody tube down your throat to look at where you live, Fucks sake, Of course it all sounds overwhelming, but I will bet you a nickle that they do this procedure every thirty minutes for days on end- the "fuggetabouit" drug is swell! Promise you that! Glad you are doing this , nice to stick around for awhile longer I reckon. If for no other reason to see the Orange turd tossed in the slammer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left a really long comment this morning, and then blogger wouldn't let me comment without putting in my Google password, since I was out of town and on my ipad. Of course I couldn't remember my password, and now I can't remember what I said in the comment. So -- I'll just say I'd be going nuts, too, but I also am sure that it will be one of those things that, when it's all over, you'll be healthier and happier. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can certainly understand your preoccupation (your word) with understanding all of this. I'd feel the same way! Keep us posted, but keep your family posted first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Google has answers but sometimes no bedside manner AT ALL. I'm sure it feels like a lot right now, but if you decide to go forward you will soon be on the other side of all of it, one breath at a time. I'm thinking of you through this, and sending love.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.