Sunday, June 2, 2019

another week in review


Another week of accomplishing nothing but living. Picked my sister up from the airport Tuesday, brought her back here to fetch her car and her kittens which basically took up the whole day because I lazily didn't do anything before it was time to leave to get her but I did see as I passed the Peach Creek Market on the highway that they finally had some Fredericksburg peaches and so Wednesday I headed there for a big bag which we've been eating all week. I also got the hanger glued onto the piece my friend purchased and got that boxed up and mailed out to her. 

Thursday and Friday were estate sale days, the one on Thursday we got there late since it opened at 8 AM and was not local and I'm not an early riser especially for something like that though my sister said it looked like a lot was gone by the time we got there around 11 AM from the pictures that had been posted but I find it hard to believe (though I hadn't looked at the pictures myself) because the prices they had on the stuff that remained were outrageous. Like $8 for a collapsible vegetable steamer which is about what a brand new one costs and $10 for an old (and not as in 'antique' old) plastic 4 cup measuring cup with a pouring spout. My sister bought a good quality glass one for a lot less than that at a previous sale. They did have a nice set of aluminum clad bottom stainless steel cookware for $6 a piece but omg, those pots were so heavy empty that you would need to be a bodybuilder just to cook with them. The sale on Friday was basically a bust as well as the house across the highway from the pom pom factory had been empty for a couple of years someone said and it was empty and smelled like mildew, just a few pieces of furniture with everything to be had on tables outside the garage. Mostly what they had was boxes and boxes of pom poms and plastic mugs in all colors and some odds and ends. But it did have a pine spindle double bed frame with wood side rails that I picked up for $20 so I can replace the futon couch frame in the back bedroom with an actual bed frame though what I'll do with the futon frame I have no idea since I'll still be using the mattress that goes with it until I buy a new one, just needs a good cleaning.


Also Friday was the day the last grandchild graduated from high school. The plan was to leave here and head into the city by 4:30 with a stop at the liquor warehouse on the way in to stock up and pick up our son and then meet the daughter and son-in-law and the other in-laws in front about 6:30 with the ceremony starting at 7 PM. We didn't actually get off til 4:40 and drove into blinding rain before we even got out of Wharton County, 


hit slow traffic after the rain stopped, hit stopped traffic because of rain and construction, tried to get around that and hit more slow to stopped traffic (and this is just one of many reasons I'm glad I no longer live in the city and avoid going there as much as possible) and finally pulled up to our son's apartment around 6:30, managed to hook up with the daughter at the NRG Arena and we all got seated in the nosebleed section near the far end, and by nosebleed section I mean the absolute highest row. The place was packed for this graduating class of 500+ students 


and so we sat through 2 hours of speeches and hooting and hollering as each student's name was called out. But she did it, our Robin graduated from high school.


And what did I do yesterday? Hmmm, nothing, sat on the couch and read most the day but I did make a peach dewberry pie and it was/is good.


And I picked the first of the tomatoes (they looked riper in the shade hidden at the bottom of the plants).


Now it's Sunday, it's already well after noon, too hot and humid to be outside for long even though I have a few tasks to take care of out there. I declared several days ago that I was going to get back in the studio and start some new work on Monday though I've said that more than once in the last several months, so I guess we'll see, but right now, after I post this catch-up, I'm headed to the couch with my book. This is a new thing for me, being able to waste a day or several in a row sitting around doing nothing in particular. I've always been a doer, always doing something, never been able to sit easily or for long. But here at 69 years on this planet and especially since we retired from doing the etched glass I find myself doing nothing more often but I've made at least one promise to the gallery that I must make good on so perhaps I'll get my butt in gear.





15 comments:

  1. Well, that was quite a week. Do you miss the kittens?
    Congratulations to Robin! And to her parents for getting the last one out of high school. Phew!
    I love peach and dewberry or blackberry pie. Or cobbler. I've made a few of those in my life.
    I'm actually not having a bad time working in the yard. I think I am a simple person and if I have a task set before me that is somewhat doable, I go to it. Mostly. But in this heat I can only work for a few hours and then I have to stop. That's just all there is to it. And it has to be shade-work. Trust me, there's plenty of that.
    Enjoy your Sunday, Ellen and if you feel like working tomorrow do it and if you don't- just don't.
    And your roses are blooming again. They love chicken shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun having them here for those two weeks, cuddling the little babies but they had just gotten to the point where they were big enough, old enough, brave enough, and confident enough that they were getting into and onto everything so, no, I don't miss them. besides I can see them whenever I want over at her house where they are getting into and onto everything.

      that rose will bloom pretty much all the time with short rests between bursts.

      Delete
  2. Well, now that I know we're the same age, I'll be monitoring your activities more closely to make sure you don't show me up.
    Go read a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the grandchild and may she have a wonderful future. I am sure you'll be a steady support.
    I try to keep the procrastrination periods in check but there are days . . . and I am not even retired yet. Enjoy your reading. As the saying goes: a book is a gift you can open again and again.

    We are currently inundated with apricots (from the farmers market) and I made what we call a galette today, basic sweet pastry folded over the edges, butter on the apricots etc. and it was gone before dinner, which was then cancelled. Four people were involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds good. I've had pie for dinner more than once this time of year.

      Delete
  4. Congrats to Robin! That was a lotta graduates! We had around 100 in my graduating class in my high school out in the boonies.

    I've made a promise to myself to QUIT PLAYING this STUPID GAME on my iPad & catch up on my reading. I'm in two book clubs now & keep getting further & further behind. And my crocheting. Basically, I need to switch out one mind-numbing activity for another one. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy Ms, Ellen, sorry the sales were dumb, always a disappointment to see plastic shit with high price tags. Trying so hard to avoid all plastic but if some one had a 1950's plastic thing for sale I would buy it! I do not know how you and Mary work in the heat, It is 70 here today and the air conditioner is on full blast! Still wearing jackets. Headed for a summer full of smoke, the forests are tinder.
    Good timing on the kittens, you got the best part of their little lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, you're right, I got the best part of the kittens. now they are mischievous little devils. as for the heat we grew up in it though I went out early to get my hour's worth of work done out there. and always in the shade. I'd die of the cold up where you live and no sun!

      Delete
  6. I did some peach picking last week, and wondered if you had gotten any yet. The orchard where I pick has both yellow and white. This year, I stuck with the white, and they were the best I've ever had. They're nearly gone now, but the tomatoes and other veggies are coming in.

    I love that bedstead. I might have been tempted to pick that up, too -- if I had needed one, and had a truck, and etc. and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the small peach orchard out here closed down, cut down most their trees. after two years of small to no harvest they threw in the towel. probably kept enough trees for themselves. they had white peaches too that were to die for. so good. now I have to wait for the little market to get in peaches. I think they were late getting them this year.

      I've been on the lookout for a bed frame and have seen several I liked but they want $60 (I considered this one but didn't want to pay that much) and up. The one I bought has one place that's been repaired, it's kind of a crucial spot so we'll see. I'll only be out $20 if it won't go together well.

      Delete
    2. I meant to say after two years in a row, 2016 and 2017.

      Delete
  7. Nice deal on the bed frame! The trend around here is to have yard sales with huge heaps of untidy, wrinkled clothing. It is off-putting, to say the least. Reminds me of sales bins at Filene's, but quite few notches lower. I believe you have earned the right to do whatever and how little you want. I find myself thinking wistfully of sitting on my ass all morning, knitting and drinking iced coffee. Even two years ago, I would have been horrified to even think about it. Not so much now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hubby finds it impossible to sit and do nothing. Right now he is reading proposals from some scientists that requested he assist. I can sit and read, watch TV, wander with my camera and feel perfectly fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you miss the kittens. Having little babies of any kind make you feel good inside. Congratulations to Robin! Yes it's Peaches time again. We get those FREDERICKSBURG PEACHES signs all along the roads and highways around here in Seguin and New Braunfels this time of year too. David and I will be going to get a bag or two of peaches this next weekend because I want to can up some peach, blueberry, and pecan chutney and make a peach crumble. You have your place all back to normal so now is the time to get your rumpus in gear and work before the gallery disowns you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't really miss the kittens though it was fun to have them, they were just hitting the troublemaker getting into and on everything stage and I can see them whenever I want at my sister's house. home is back to normal and the cat and dog are relieved.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.