Thursday, July 19, 2018

we were so close!


Monday little things got done...some painting, thresholds put in between the floor surfaces, closet bar hung, sealer put on the tile and grout, stuff like that. Tuesday the plumber showed up and the water lines got switched and Gunnar cleaned up the garage emptying it of all the leftover building materials and scrap and trash and in general tidying it up. Yesterday Marc took the hot water handle on the sink apart to replace the washer since it dripped (we were using an old sink set that had sat out in the garage or barn for the last 6 years because let's save a little money and we like this one) to discover that it wasn't an ordinary washer thingy and so we decided to just keep the hot water valve shut off unless needed and then shut if off after use. I happened to look down and there was a puddle of water on the floor next to the wall. Curious. Wiped it up, turned on the water in the sink and water started flowing out from under the bead board.

I called Rocky. I hate to tell you this but water is flowing out from under the wall. He tells me later that he thought I was kidding and he was waiting for a little laughter and when it didn't come, oh man, she's serious. He was here in 5 minutes. He and Gunnar pulled out the mirrored cabinet and located the leak near the floor so out came the sink, off came the base board and chair rail, off came the panel of bead board so they could re-do the drain part of the plumbing for the sink. This is how they left it yesterday 6ish.


So I'm off this morning to get a new sink faucet set since as long as the sink is down, we might as well. What's another $70 when we've already spent $30,000. It's a good thing we made a killing when we sold the city property since FEMA only shelled out $11,000.





11 comments:

  1. Aw Jeez. It never effing ends, does it? Same thing happened in my bathroom and Glen had to tear off all the bead board and and fix the crappy plumbing but that's when he put in my Talavara sink so that turned out well.
    I'm still betting your bathroom is completed before Mr. Moon's is but then again, he's doing all the work on weekends and after his regular job at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd be putting bourbon in my morning tea, at this point. At least Rocky responded quickly and no more damage was done. Here's hoping that this next go-around is the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope there aren't any hurricanes for several years. Crossed fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, as long as it's this close to perfect, pay attention to those details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh hells bells, if it isn't one thing it's a million others. My appliances have each decided that they are brat children and need to be cared for. Holey hell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yuk. Deep breath and on you go. It will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10,000, 20,000, 30,000...now you are talking real money. Glad you have kept your sense of humor as has your builder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I am so sorry, Ellen. This has been such a hard year for you with the hurricane, the damage and trying to get back to almost normal. I hope this problem can be fixed quickly.,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear. This, too, will be completed, in time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, dammit! Our bathroom took four years to almost finish,at least it is functional, but still cosmetics to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two steps forward, three back. We will have to remove the lower 2 feet of sheetrock as soon as it slows down a bit here. When the water main burst, it wicked up into the sheetrock. Never ends, does it?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.