Tuesday, June 26, 2018

little things


I'm guessing the dead critter is a vole as the smell has already started to decrease and this morning I found another dead one laying on the floor in front of the refrigerator. Emma the cat doesn't bother birds but she is hell on those poor little voles and anoles. She must have brought them both in but how the one got in the cabinet and behind that board, obviously mortally wounded, is a mystery.

And speaking of poor little dead things, apparently the last time anyone went in the shop before I left on vacation, a wren got trapped in there because when I went over there the other day I found it's poor little skeleton amid a pile of feathers at the bottom of one of the roll up doors. They can get in and out of our garage when it's closed up but I guess the roll up doors at the shop fit much tighter. I did retrieve it's little skull and added it to my collection. 

from left: seabird in Scotland, seabird in Galveston, blue jay, cardinal, mockingbird, wren, finch, warbler

When I picked it up I noticed an unattached dark ring nestled in the space between it's eye holes. I've never seen this in any other bird skull I have collected.


you can see it better from underneath

And speaking of birds, I don't know if I mentioned that I took down both bird feeders, the one hanging from the shepherd's crook and the teacup, because the squirrels just dominated them keeping the birds away. When I would wait a couple of weeks and put the teacup back out, the squirrels would find it before the birds so in it would come again. Yesterday, a female cardinal was sitting in the shrub outside the window where the teacup used to hang giving me the stink eye so I set it back out. This young male made several attempts to land on the teacup but he didn't quite have the courage and would bail at the last second seeing me sitting so close through the window.


I decided to move the teacup and put up a shelf bracket under the eave on the other side of the door to the little backyard. I can see it through the glass from where I sit but I won't be able to take pictures because from this angle, it's all glare in the camera. It didn't take the young male long to take advantage of it's new location but so far he's the only one I've seen on it. And the best part is, I don't think the squirrels will be able to get to it...no branches close enough to launch from (I hope) and I don't think they can access it from the roof. It's hard to foil a squirrel though so we'll just have to wait and see but so far, so good.


Not a vole or a bird but it is a little thing, this jumping spider was making a complete exploration of my computer the other day.






12 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm completely creeped out by this post. LOL I'm a wuss. First, I would never ever touch a wild animal skeleton, let alone collect them. Then there is the jumping spider. eek! That said, the photo of the cardinal is quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I collect the same things Ellen. I have a little black jumping spider in the house, or had. I named her Charlotte and my daughter had a fit. I think Charlotte knew me as she started coming up next to me. I finally decided she needed to live outside, so I picked her up and left her in the bushes. Nature is a wonder. I have an egret skull with a metal shotgun pellet embedded in its skull. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see different birds skeleton. I am not brave enough to touch and collect them. Bird feeder looks like cup and saucer. Black colored spider:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to collect interesting bones too. And turtle shells! Dried turtle shells! I have one that the children have played with and dropped and cracked many times. I just keep gluing it back again.
    Squirrels are incredibly clever at figuring out how to get to the bird feeders, aren't they? I have to admit that sometimes I just watch, amused, as they think and try and then succeed to get what they want.
    I don't have a jumping spider but I sure do have plenty of golden orb weavers. I try to keep them from building webs right where we walk. Other than that, I let them be.
    The picture of the cardinal is very, very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bird skulls are beautiful! Isn't it amazing how perfectly nature designs things? So fragile. I wonder why there is that dark ring inside the wren skull. Wrens are probably my favorite bird - so tiny and so much song! I also love that teacup feeder although my muscular, corn-fed squirrels could probably launch like missiles and take it down from any distance. Last year, I went to fill the chicken feeder and shrieked like a little girl when a grey squirrel (who had been cramming the feed in with both hands) rocketed up and out! I have it covered with hardware, bloody squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thwarted squirrel. Thank god for that; one bully handled.Like Grant through Georgia; now on to Washington. I no longer collect, I divest. 1000 sq.ft. is an attitude adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like birds, squirrels, raccoons and even spiders (they eat other bugs), but that last picture made me shake a little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good idea, moving the teacup to that location. I feel like a substantial portion of my life is devoted to foiling squirrels!!

    Poor vole, and poor wren. Animals have a hard time with our human habitations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your delicate collection! Utterly cool, they would be great to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried this? I know squirrels also jump (beautifully9 but maybe it works?

    https://youtu.be/cFWdjkN62zc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't tried that but I will. I wonder how often it has to be redone. I did try the slinky before the totem gird feeder got broken but it was on a piece of rebar. it didn't take them long to figure out to just reach through the slinky and climb up.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Ellen. That is one fantastic photo of the cardinal! Keeping our bird feeders filled is one of my husband's hobbies. He likes to watch them, especially while he sips his coffee early in the mornings. Coping with squirrels was a never ending problem. Amazing how, over and over again, they would outsmart us. They could climb the poles. They could fly from the bushes and land atop the feeder. Some of them can use their tails like monkeys to hang, We did some rearranging in our small back yard this spring. The location of the poles did not fit well in the scheme of things. I suggested hanging the feeders from our oak tree. We had it trimmed not long ago, so the lowest branches are fairly high. Old Man has two feeders and two suet cages hanging from them on wires. (He did cover the wires where they hang, so as not to cut into the tree.). He made them hang so far down that no squirrels' tails will reach. And none have been athletic enough to fly and land on them. Sometimes we see squirrels on the ground, but not on the feeders. Maybe this would work for you. My only gripe is the mourning doves. They come in flocks that tend to grow. Can eat a whole bag of food in a hurry.


    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.