Saturday, May 1, 2010

the dance





I like to dance. I love to dance. And I especially love to partner dance. Swing and jitterbug are so much fun and, of course, the waltz is an all time favorite. It was my ill fortune to plight my trough to someone who doesn't, and rightly so, dance. Oh, he'll let me drag him out on the dance floor for what passes for dancing now and then and he even took jitterbug lessons with me/for me, bless his heart, but, alas, it's best left undone.

I feel myself lucky if I can manage a dance with one of the cousins during one of the family get-togethers but one night, I had the waltz of a lifetime.

I was lamenting my fate to a friend of ours and he said he'd take me dancing one night. He liked to dance and he was trying to get better and we could go to this club that had a night where they gave lessons of a sort. So I readily agreed. This particular friend is gay and the club was a gay club, which I knew of course but it made no difference to me.

So, the night arrived and he picked me up and we went to this club. They would run through about 6 pieces in a row of a particular dance so you could practice, change partners or not. My friend and I would take turns leading. Finally they got around to the waltz. We did a turn or two and then paused to rest so we went up to the balcony to watch the dancers below and Oh. My. God. there was a guy down there doing the most exquisite waltz I had ever seen. Movie style waltz. No doubt who was in control.

I had a serious want on for a dance with this guy. I was determined to get his attention so I focused my mind on him until he finally looked up and caught my eye. As soon as he did, I spun my index finger around in the universal gesture of stirring it up, then I pointed to him and then to myself and nodded. I'm sure the guy thought I was some sort of lunatic because I hustled myself down the stairs and as soon as the number was over, I basically elbowed all the other guys aside and said 'dance with me'.

Um, I don't really dance with women”, he said, or something very nearly.

Matters not to me”, I said.

The music started, he took my hands and off we went.

This was the most wonderful dance. He took me through some complicated turns and I didn't miss a step. I'm a fairly good dancer, or was, but that night, that dance, I was excellent. He was excellent. When it was over, I thanked him sincerely and went back to my friend.

And the night has passed into legend.


31 comments:

  1. Exquisite memory. He didn't refuse you, since the legend was meant to be. Thanks for the tingles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful!! I wish I could have seen you waltz! I am also glad you had the night to remember!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful things can happen when you have the courage to put yourself out there and 'stir things up'. Sweet memory. Maybe you will get a little private waltz this weekend just for your birthday ... ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen..is it your birthday? Well if it is have a happy one. My Mom's birthday was the 2nd.
    And as for the dancing...I do not like being this color of green...envy does not even cover it. How fandamtastic was that???!!! Good for you girl. My Sweet Man also has to order special two left shoes, so no dancing for us either. (((hugs))) until next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. wicked good story ellen!! when i was a lot younger i went to the gay bars simply because the soundsystems were better, the music was better, the drinks were better and the company was cool. i should add that like your man, i am not a dancer. steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect post for May Day, when people are dancing around maypoles even as I write this. Very cool.

    I, too, love to dance. Partnering with someone who is a better dancer always helps me rise to the occasion.

    My dentist is a great dancer. He hosts a dance party every year at winter solstice. It is such a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story. I love to dance too but am blessed with a loving partner to tries to dance.

    Your story brings one of mine. Business meeting, all go to a club afterwards. Guy asks me to dance,with a gentlemanly bow, he took my hand as I agreed.

    Polka, rock and roll, waltz...I never sat again. We were strangers, both loved to dance and I remember him twenty years later. I hope he remembers me because his dancing swept me off my feet. We never shared a name, the love of dance was why we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two left feet myself - I always wanted to dance, but it was not meant to be. I wish I could have been there to watch you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this story! I went to gay bars to be left alone- too fem for girls and too fem for boys...I used to dance with my gay boyfriend after work- awesome! wore me out- don't think I could do that ever again,unfortunately. Dance on, sistah! I so admire your chutzpah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband taught me to dance and I swoon each and everytime we do - it is our little world where nothing intrudes and I know for that brief few minutes he is only thinking of us as am I.

    What a lovely story. Thank you for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen you are a character...and I love your feistiness..

    happy days

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who doesn't love a good waltz? Marvelous story, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh lovely memory! Gload to know you took the matter in your own hands and ask him to dance, Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to dance! But, alas, I married a non-dancer. I would have thoroughly enjoyed dancing with someone of this caliber.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post... It sounds fabulous. I could see you running down the stairs throwing people out of the way to get to your man!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a fantastic story, Ellen. I just love your courage and determination. I LOVE to dance, too, but am so rusty now, I would dream of embarrassing myself on the dance floor. it's just not Mr. B's thing. Funny enough, when I lived in Fort Bend County and worked for the Herald-Coaster, I had a dear friend who I suspected was gay and he was my most delightful dance partner. We too went to clubs and disco-danced ourselves silly. He did come out later, but that's another story, which I'll save for a post. Thank you for this delightful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this story.. what a fond memory for you. I wonder how your dance partner remembers it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes a girl has "got to do what she has got to do"! I love to dance and the waltz is my favorite. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Breathtaking. You took authority of your life, and you made it happen.

    I also wonder how he tells the story.

    But no matter. It's your story that I care about. Cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your POTW!! Well deserved!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah... dancing. I think it a pity that children no longer take dancing lessons. I didn't myself, but I was taught some of the basics by my Nana and my Mom. Honestly, I'm not very good, but I am better when there are rules or, at least, shared expectations.

    My wife likes to dance but in the "let's cut loose free for all" style that I can't seem to manage. I don't even try. From the bandstand, I've seen too many men do the "white guy jogging in place looking like he has to pee dance" to risk it.

    Of course, she couldn't seem to manage the basic box step before our wedding. I don't know what that means. Something, I think.

    Great story. Congratulations on the potw.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great story! Well done. :)
    ...congrats on the POTW!
    Hugs/ Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. simply beautiful...
    congrats on the POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. and what a wondrous legend it is!

    congrats on POTW

    ReplyDelete
  25. Came over from Hilary's blog. I can see why you are on her POTW list. Congratulations, this was a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful story. Magical. Sometimes a girl just has to take the lead.
    Congrats on a mention on POTD

    ReplyDelete
  27. It should also be legend about the wonderful things that can happen when we take the risk of going for what we want.

    Congratulations on the post of the week mention, it was a delightful story.

    Good for you, being brave enough to seize the moment, and have a treasured memory, rather than a missed opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  28. congrats on the POTW from Hilary,
    this is dreamy and vivid.

    and it's nice to "meet" you

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so glad he took a chance and danced with you. How wonderful. You wrote this story so beautifully. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.