Thursday, December 10, 2009

fall reading list




The Last Of The Wild West Cowgirls: A True Story by Kay Turnbaugh  - This is the story of Goldie Griffith one of the last cowgirls who performed in Wild Wests, early Rodeos and Circuses.  A historical reconstruction of her life as remembered in print and conversations and the memories of her children and other family.  She led an amazing life.  She boxed. She wrestled. She rode bucking broncos.  She was an actor and stunt rider for the brand-new western movies and much more.  It’s a good read.

Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan - This was a good story about the surviving spirit of a woman who arranges an art tour to China and Burma but dies unexpectedly before the trip departs and the adventures of her tour group that go on the trip anyway.  I really like Amy Tan but I think I enjoyed her other books that I have read more.

Ya Yas In Bloom by Rebecca Wells - more stories of the Ya-Yas as told by their children.

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - This is the story about a girl who meets her husband before he meets her.  Cleverly told and bittersweet.  I really enjoyed this one.

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy - Well, I’ve liked every story of hers I’ve read and this one is no different.  Wonderful characterizations, little vignettes centered around a little town with a shrine in the woods.

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich - The further adventures of Stephanie Plum, Bounty Hunter.  Still making me laugh out loud.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - An interesting story, historical fiction centered on the life of Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob, one of the patriarchs of Judism.  It was a good story and an enjoyable read.

Finger Lickin’ Fifteen by Janet Evanovich - See above, still makin’ me laugh.

Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood - The story of a somewhat neurotic painter who has come back to Toronto, the city she grew up in, for a retrospective of her work and she remembers her life from about 7 or 8 growing up during WWII to the present.  It’s very well written and I enjoyed it but I had no idea really, what to expect, when I checked it out from the library.


14 comments:

  1. I've read Whitethorn Woods - I always love Binchy's books. She also wrote about about her hip replacement surgery - called Aches & Pains. It's really fun too.

    I also love the Evanovich books - she is one writer who will make me howl with laughter. I listened to the last book in my car & I was afraid that people would think I'm a lunatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about 3/4 through The Time Travelers Wife. At first, it didn't really move me, it felt like the plot really wasn't moving with all the back and forth business. Nothing really advanced. But suddenly I found myself really wanting to see where everyone went next, and felt vested in the characters. So the author deftly drew me in without my notice, and I'm always glad to pick it up and continue reading. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked Margaret Atwood, try some of her others. Atwood is a brilliant writer. I'll try some of these. I've been on a dry spell for reading and could use a book bender. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished one of he greatest classics of all time.
    The Count Of Monte Cristo.
    Its a must read novel.
    Will read Atwood someday..
    Cheers.
    Nuts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting list, Ellen. I'm especially intrigued by Goldie Griffith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting post, lots of good books recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I could hug you! The first book especially, but I didn't know a new Stephanie Plum by Ms. Evanovich was released.

    ::running off to put in a holiday request::

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great books to read, I am always searching for the next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My bloggy friend Daryl recommended The Time Traveler's Wife to me and I adored it from page 1. One of the best I've read, and so different!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED Fearless Fourteen, it made me laugh so much. I think I might try The Last Of The Wild West Cowgirls... it sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those of you interested in The Last Of The Wild West Cowgirls, my friend Kay, who researched and wrote this book, has self published it and that is why I provided the link to her web site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must be a weirdo, I couldn't get into The Time Traveler's Wife, The Husband picked it up and he loved it. I guess I should give it another go, sometimes that happens to me with certain books. I love Margaret Atwood, and Binchy. That first book sound so interesting, cowgirls interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet Evanovich...her books are consistently funny. I swear, I have laughed so hard I've cried at some of the antics in those books.

    So, are you team Ranger or team Morelli? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.