Thursday, September 17, 2009

working on paper






We finally received a deposit from the art consultant for the panels for the Oklahoma heart hospital chapel.  We also have a small residential job; a wine room door and two cabinet doors in the same room.  This is the first time all year we have had more than one job at a time.  Only one job at a time and then have waited up to 6 weeks before the next one came along.  


The glass for the residential job is being delivered tomorrow which is why we are still in the city.  I’ve got the full size art for the door done but there was a misunderstanding on the size of the cabinet glass so I still have to do that one. We’ll start fabrication next week. 











The panels for the heart hospital chapel will be installed in a false wall and be lit from behind.  Right now I’m doing the intermediate size drawings, the ones where I clean it up and add in the detail, somewhere between 1/4th to 1/3rd full size.  I’m having to make all these squiggley lines into clusters and shapes that look more like actual leaves.  This part always makes me restless.  I do a lot of wandering around (or wandering through blogland) between sessions at the drawing table.


I have another project I am working on as well for a lady that I traded some services for.  I have to be careful that I don’t keep putting it aside.

14 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it, Ellen. I wouldn't know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thank you for a peek into the process. The restlessness reminds me very much of when I'm on deadline to write something. What is that, do you suppose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the finished products - really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never known an actual artist ..

    I think it's just fabulous ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What am ambitious project. Now I'm eager to see the finished, lovely product. But I know that's a way down the road!

    I'm thinking about the heart center chapel in particular. When my dad had a massive heart attack years ago, and subsequent open heart surgery, the hospital had carefully placed art which fit the mood of the particular area--whether OR waiting room, intensive care waiting room, recovery room, etc. I notice such things, being a gallery owner and an artist, but I know that the art was healing to all who waited in those rooms, even if they didn't notice it enough to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful. I would love to be able to do what you do. Something about light through glass is so transforming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just incredible what you do. I wish you would take photos along the way during fabrication. Would LOVE to see the process in action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be good to see these when they're done. And it sounds like you'll be kept rather busy. Hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ellen

    How wonderful the glass will be in the hospital chapel..I liked to see how you begin a project...

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone. I'll try to remember to take photos as I progress and post them. These drawings here are 1 inch to 1 foot. This is how I present the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks and sounds fab - Hope we get a chance to see it all finished

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello ellen, i love renderings, project plans. i don't care what they depict i love them so thanks for including them in your post!!! i'll echo the other requests to see the finished product as well. i'm glad you're getting more work - enjoy the process! steven

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like seeing the process, thank you.

    My grandmother designed wallpaper, and my mother remembered her taping up long sheets of paper around the walls to line up patterns. That's what your images remind me of, that image I have in my head of Grandma Olive.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.