There’s a cypress tree in the space between my property line on the east and the fence around the backyard of Montreal’s old house. If you know anything about cypress trees their roots send up ‘knees’ and if the area around that tree is mown, whatever growth gets shaved off by the mower and they end up looking like this. This is a big one. Most are considerably smaller in diameter. This one is 14” at its widest.
August is always hot but the last couple of weeks have been brutal, and still no rain. but here we are at the end of the month, days are getting noticeably shorter and the next ten or so the highs have dropped about 5 degrees, so mid-90s. Not much but I’ll take it. And rain is predicted for the next several days. One can only hope. It’s about all I can do to keep the plants in pots and stuff in the ground watered, keep the water freshened in the three birdbaths. I have plants that need to be repotted in bigger pots but I just can’t seem to make myself mix up the dirt and do it knowing that I’ll come in wet with sweat dripping off me, then sit under the fan on high for the next 30 minutes while I cool off.
The clump of pampas grass at the other end of the street is putting out new plumes (I took a picture but the sun was just blasting it and I'm not walking down there again before I post this). That surprised me, it’s one of the signs that the season is heading toward change. It seems early. Snow-on-the-prairie is also a portent of cooler temps but I haven’t seen any of that yet. The tallows are dropping leaves though but I think that has more to do with the drought than changing seasons. Speaking of tallows, there are two small ones on the west property line one of which lost a big limb last year. That limb had been dead for a couple of years before it finally fell. I was walking by that tree yesterday when I noticed a hole had opened up at the base and obviously dead bark above it so I reached down and pulled the bark away and more and more and wood pulp, some of it so dry it basically turned to dust in my hand and pulp that was wet and spongy. That whole tree is rotting from the inside.
First picture above shows all the material I pulled out down on the ground, next picture a close up. Looks like a torso with the hips narrowing at the waist and widening with two arms reaching up. Both those limbs are rotten all the way up all while they are furiously putting out new foliage from the solid outer bark. The last picture is a chunk of the soft spongy stuff that came out of the center.
I filled the bird feeder yesterday morning. The white wing doves had it more than half empty in about an hour. This morning they are already coming to check it out but it will stay empty today even though the little birds keep looking in my window like aren’t you forgetting something? I’ve been seeing a little hummingbird mornings and evenings and more butterflies; fritillaries, swallowtails, long wings, a few sulfurs; migrating through, also signs of season change. The orange cosmos has some open blooms but haven’t started their big display yet. They are a favorite of the migrating butterflies though this one is on the Mexican bird of paradise.
I’ve been working on the new shadow box, started painting the cattails. Because the elements are long and narrow I decided to glue two pieces of watercolor paper together to stiffen them up, give them more body. Experimented with one of the leftover first attempt at leaves on the previous box to see how much more difficult it would be to cut through two layers (and glue) of paper. More effort but doable especially since the cuts are all going to be mostly smooth straight lines (as opposed to serrated edges on leaves).
The neighbors next door that were renting Montreal’s old house moved out. Last weekend I saw a flatbed trailer backed up to the open front door and a few days later I noticed all the curtains were gone and no lights or activity, no car coming and going. Today they came back to finish cleaning up, picked up some trash around the yard and then emptied the house of trash and piled it all up on the side of the street and drove off.
No idea if they are going to come back for the trampoline frame and jumping surface which never got attached (I think not at this point). But that pile of trash? The rural trash pick up that we residents in the county have to subscribe to (and I have no idea if they did since I never saw them put a trash can out, they were burning it for a while and I saw them put a bag in someone else’s can once) will not pick that shit up, not like that. Neither will the county. So it remains to be seen if the owner of the house will take care of it when they come inspect the house and property. Which surely they will do.







So thoughtful of the neighbors to leave that mess. A shame about that beautiful tree, but interesting to see how it progresses. Funny that you and Mary Moon both shared a photo of a swallowtail butterfly today.
ReplyDeleteI should probably go ahead and have the tree taken out but I probably won't Tallows can be fairly short lived but the one in the little backyard is pretty old judging by how big the trunk is.
DeleteI'm not sad to see those neighbors go. They were not very friendly, or rather, not at all.
I have no idea how you live in temperatures like that! We don’t experience anything close to what you get, but already I am longing for the first frost! How people can leave trash like that is behind my level of comprehension. Better hope you don’t get high winds to spread it around the neighbourhood.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about your winters and all that snow and ice.
DeleteThe shadow box is coming along nicely, Ellen. I like the butterfly photo, too!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ellen. The butterfly picture was a moment of chance as they don't sit still.
DeleteI have noticed it's cooler in the mornings which is wonderful. Still too hot to work outside as the day progresses though. It will get cooler. It will. Now, as to rain...
ReplyDeleteYep. That tallow tree is going all dust-to-dust. Any idea how old it is? I have no idea at how long a tallow tree is supposed to live.
Lovely butterfly!
Unlovely neighbors. Former neighbors.
Yes, a little cooler here in the mornings but it doesn't last long. I finally got out there this morning and worked on the far flower bed I've ignored all summer. The tallow is not very old I don't think, not compared to the one in the little backyard whose trunk is easily twice the diameter. I think it must have been struck by lightning at some point. There's another one next to it the same size and it's fine.
DeleteWhen we moved we had SO MUCH TRASH at the end. Our neighbor (who was fabulous) put a good bit in his bin to make sure it would get picked up. That was so chaotic. But even so, we didn't leave THAT much out! And, of course, we had actual bins.
ReplyDeleteWe had a much cooler week last week (mid 80s), but we're back in the furnace this week. Oof.
Love the butterfly!
I hope the owner of the house comes this weekend to check it out and take care of the trash. If not, I'll probably bag it up one bag at a time and set it out with mine.
DeleteOf course my first thought is to wonder if there's anything good in that trash!
ReplyDeleteMs. Moon posted a photo of a very similar butterfly today -- not exactly the same but close.
Do you think the tallow(s) will have to be taken down? It certainly looks like it might not be very strong.
I remember mowing over cypress knees in our yard when I lived in Florida. TERRIBLE for the mower and always a little scary, but the mower managed.
There was a child's three wheeler that appeared in the backyard months ago and never moved so I figure it didn't work. It was on the pile and someone picked it up right away. There was also a pink wood child's chair that someone else got later. The rest is just trash. There was a little girl but I was never sure if she lived there or not as I only saw her three or four times in all the months they lived there. They were not friendly people.
Deleteas always, loving that you are taking time for arting as you do! The end product is always gorgeous! The butterfly on that exceptional flower is stunnig, that would make an excellent shadow box subject! Poor trees getting their kness scraped . Our cherry has the same problem but continues to thrive!
ReplyDeleteI've been considering one with butterflies. We'll see. That picture was pure chance as the butterfly was in constant motion. I took three successive pictures and one came out.
DeleteI really like the way you've captured the texture of the cattails, although I'll confess that, if I allow my mind to wander, they remind me of sweet chipotle breakfast links from the Bellville Meat Market. My place is surrounded by cypress trees, and those mowed-off knees. They're a problem in a way, since it's impossible to get them away from my patio, which floods in heavy rain; the dirt builds up around the knees and doesn't run off properly.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for rain from the tropical system that's developed. No name yet, but a nice depression moving onshore would be delightful; I'm afraid it may stay east of us, though.
And it did unfortunately, farther east than I thought. Yesterday was 100% chance of rain here. We got one maybe 10 minute light shower.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteI'd love to be in your studio with the same project because my approach would be completely different. You tackle it like a glass artist.
That would be fun. But I fail to see how I'm approaching it like a glass artist.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteElbeth is on cbs
Not likely to start watching something after missing the first three seasons and don't have Paramont.
DeleteI can almost touch those cattails! The butterfly is just gorgeously captured.
ReplyDeleteThis summer has been brutal for trees here, not enough rain.
The butterfly was pure chance. It was in constant motion and I took three pictures in quick succession. The third one caught it just right.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteForgot. Coherence might still be on youtube free movies. Highly recommend. Watch before it's gone. It has a twist you don't see coming don't watch trailers.
Yeah, I'm not watching movies on my desktop when there's so much to choose from sitting on the much more comfortable couch.
DeleteCodex
DeleteYou can connect the laptop to the TV with a simple cable.
Except I don't have a laptop.
Delete