The morning glory bush is coming into full bloom. It’s a good thing it’s drought tolerant.
Even the rangoon creeper was being affected by the drought, dropping leaves until I started watering it but now it’s putting out some new flowers.
We were getting a much wanted and needed rain shower yesterday morning. I was afraid to take my eyes off it, afraid that if I did it will stop. I didn’t think it would last because I could see clearing sky to the south. Aaaaand, it stopped. I don’t think it rained even 10 minutes. We’re supposed to get more rain today. We’re finally getting a break from the brutal heat, our highs for the next 10 days predicted to be in the low 90s. The calendar ticked over from August to September, days are noticeably shorter, and there is a subtle difference in the air. Still plenty humid though. I made it down to the other end of the street to photograph the pampas grass and its new plumes, one of my harbingers of fall.
I went out right after I got up this morning, grabbed the shovel and set out to do some weeding. Did a little bit in the bed that had the zinnias last year and then headed back to the far flower bed that I have ignored all summer except for watering the two clumps of crinum lilies now and then. This was as far as I got before I started sweating and the sun started creeping in. That dirt is so dry, not a lick of moisture in it.
SHARE is getting new flooring on the 14th so it will be closed for two Thursdays. What we have now is linoleum tile and while it is old it is still perfectly serviceable. I’m of the opinion, and I’m not the only one, that that grant money should be spent on food, especially with all the cuts to food assistance by this administration. We’re getting vinyl in the back where we sort food donations and fill food orders, carpet in the clothing and interview/waiting area which I think is a particularly bad choice, much harder to keep clean. So next Wednesday it will be all hands on deck to move everything that isn’t nailed down. All the shelving units and everything on them, all the tables and chairs, all the freezers and refrigerators, all has to be moved from the back either further up front or in a moving van rented for the purpose so that the new vinyl can be laid down in the food area and then all that stuff has to be move back. Then all the clothing racks, shelving units, tables and desks and chairs and everything on them has to be moved for the carpet to be laid in the interview and clothing area, and then all that has to be moved back. Since the volunteers are all retirees, four men have been hired to help.
A while back my grandson got a zero turn mower. Next thing I knew my daughter sent me a little video of 4 year old (5 in October) Paisleigh driving it. She was amazing, figured out the steering, the start and stop, right away. She drove that thing all around their yard never hitting anything. So Wednesday, Mikey brought the mower over to the shop to replace a wheel and while it was here he went ahead and mowed the yard but not before Paisleigh had a turn at it.
I’ve been working on my shadow box project. I think I’m done with the paintings of the cattails. I’ll do the water background next, leaving the heron head for last. I may go ahead and cut out the cattail elements first and work on the spacing. I have an inch and a quarter depth on this one.
Not much else going on this Labor Day weekend.






No comments:
Post a Comment
I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.