Sunday, February 26, 2023

what I did on my...er, last week


This is a long post, here it is Saturday, the first chance I've had to sit down and write. Nearly a week has gone by and I've yet to get back out and work in the garden but that's the plan for this afternoon. Tuesday, like Monday was very windy and grocery shop day and gas up the car day and fix dinner day and always walk the dog day. Wednesday we had to get up really early and get to Victoria for a follow-up X-ray and appointment with the pulmonologist. The most recent x-ray showed his lung nearly clear with the upper right section still densely white. He's feeling better I think than he did before he got sick but he's still on antibiotics and steroids there's that.

Thursday was my SHARE day and then I had an opthomologist appointment in the afternoon to check the progress of my cataracts (still not bad enough for surgery, come back in a year) and she dilated my eyes which made my left eye feel weird and when it got dark, all the lights on buildings, headlights on cars, traffic lights had rays coming out from them to a wonky shaped halo but only with my left eye. 

Never had that happen before and then yoga. And Friday we drove to Shopping Mecca for a series of purchases, some successful, some not, but the main one is that we bought a new washer and dryer. I mean, as long as we're throwing money around for a new water heater and two new iPhones, why the hell not? The ones that came with the house have to be 30 years old if not older and the dryer quit working the week before I took Marc to the ER and the agitator in the washer starts out vigorous but then gets sluggish and we're not at all sure just how clean the clothes were getting and besides that one of the springs that balance the tub is broken and no longer available for replacement, same with the discharge hose that broke in two so we had to glue it back together with Gorilla glue. Suffice to say, a new washer and dryer was not a frivolous expense and besides, I was out of clean underwear. Delivery is imminent.


out with the old


in with the new

After two days in the 80s, really? it's February, this morning was a bit chilly which is more like it though it didn't last long and warmed up. The first EarthLab talk for the year at Hesed House is this morning on creating a successful butterfly habitat and since my sister is the one who organizes this lecture series my presence is de rigueur, not that I mind as she arranges very interesting programs, but it does mean those Saturdays start earlier than usual.

------------

Well yesterday didn't play out at all as planned. I did go to the EarthLab presentation from the Texas Master Naturalists Coastal Prairie Chapter on building a healthy habitat for butterflies, which mostly boiled down to creating a 'pocket prairie' that is consistent with our ecoregion which is coastal prairie, you want to have the proper plants that bloom at the proper time to support our region's butterflies and caterpillars for food and shelter as well as those migrating through, and leaving it all the fuck alone. So if you like a neat lawn of grass with tidy bordered flowerbeds of forced garden center annuals, which she said very often don't even produce nectar, this is not the style for you. Don't rake those fall leaves, don't mow the spring 'weeds', learn to love the look of a natural habitat through all four seasons. Here's their website if you want more information about the Texas coastal prairie which the speaker says, because of all the human intervention, is nearly extinct and is, in actuality, functionally extinct.

When I got home and came in the garage door and crossed the threshold I saw a thick line of fire ants marching along the baseboard. Backing up, Thursday morning as I was getting ready to leave I noticed ants around the baseboard of my workroom and into my bedroom so I spooned out cinnamon along their path which a friend had recommended for getting rid of ants and it had worked for a previous attempted incursion from the door to the little backyard and left for SHARE. When I got back I swept it all up and then discovered they were making a nest under the rubber mat right outside the door into the garage. Swept them out and sprinkled some ant poison under the mat. Problem solved. Ha. Saturday, I followed the thick line of ants to the corner where Cat's litter box is. Picked up the litter box and there were thousands of the fuckers setting up shop. No no no no no! Can't spray poison in the house so out came the vacuum cleaner and then I moved the plants in the opposite corner back outside and vacuumed there and then along the baseboards of all four walls following the trail of ants.

Then I figured as long as I had the vacuum cleaner out I would do the rest of the house which I did and threw that bag into the trash can in the garage. Later I checked and there were still some ants traversing the baseboards in the big room, sucked them up as well. So now, this morning? Yes, still some and I'll get out the vacuum directly. I just wonder if these are stragglers or new ones coming in wondering where the hell the nest went. Surely, eventually, they'll figure out that ants come in but they never come back out. Now I need to take the plants in the garage back out, pull up the mats around the door and along the wall, move a small shelf unit, and sweep and use the leaf blower and clean out all the accumulated dirt and put the mats back down. They probably initially came in with one of the pots that have overwintered in the garage.

So, yeah, still haven't gotten back out in the yard but here's a few pictures...the first amaryllis, the pink rose bush, false freesia (freesia laxa), and more daffodils.





19 comments:

  1. We've had ants in the house too. Mr. Moon was eating his cereal the other day and realized that several were walking the rim of the bowl. He just ate the ones still in the milk. The little fuckers are determined, aren't they?
    Your flowers are looking great.
    And hey! Do you feel all hoity toity now with a new phone, a new hot water heater, and a new washer and dryer? I sure would!
    So glad that Marc is still improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about hoity toity but my pocket is certainly lighter.

      Delete
  2. Amaryllis outside? A Northerner speaks! I don't think the old appliances owed you anything at this point, nice to have new working ones. This is shaping up as an expensive year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, outside and several varieties too. last year we had to replace the AC. been an expensive couple of years but hopefully the ancient refrigerator and dishwasher won't crap out as well.

      Delete
  3. Love your amaryllis! We have some flowering indoors right now. Your ant story reminded me of the time we lived in tropical Africa and one night had to spend hours clearing out an ant invasion somewhere inside and when it was done, had a beer and as I sat on the front steps, leaning onto the door, I saw a tiny ant coming from the door frame and I knocked against it with the beer bottle. Turned out the entire door was filled with ants. I think we did take it apart and put it back together again after killing millions but I also remember we had the giggles badly that night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have to fight off ants every winter here. An invasive species of Argentine ants come and try to get into every nook and cranny. So, I googled around and found that a really good ant deterrent is a mixture of vinegar and water: one part vinegar to four parts water. I spray every evening in the favorite places and voila! they really stay away. Maybe that would work there.
    Love seeing your spring flowers and I hope all goes well there in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops... I just checked the ratio of vinegar and water and realized it's 1:1 not 4:1. I hope you'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowers! We haven't had ants recently (knocking on my head in lieu of wood), but the stink bugs are getting ridiculous. Ugh. Mike wrote a song about it (on FB, but I also put it on my blog just now). Glad Marc is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No ants here .... yet. I am loving this warm spell, though. Glad to hear that your Patient is doing so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ants are the worst. I swell up the worst from ant bites, followed by bees. None of it warrants an epi-pen but they really hurt. Glad Marc is feeling better. Your laundry room looks good now with sparkling new appliances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ants in the house is one thing, fire ants. Quite another. Wouldn't want to wake up and find those suckers promenading on my pillow! Hope you despatched them all to ant hell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, Ellen, I was at the eye doctor on Thursday also and had the same thing with lights looking like spidery stars that evening while I waited for my eyes to un-dilate. Strange coincidence!
    Hope you solve your ant problem. Sounds like you are on the right track there...
    Glad Marc is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are forever battling ants here too. We get the teeny crazy ants and the bigger black ones. That pink rose bush is glorious! I so wish we could daffodils here. Hope Marc is getting better each day.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've gone through that business of discovering fireants in the potted plants, and it's no fun. It's even less fun to find them in the house. On the other hand, those tiny little crazy ants can be just as frustrating: maybe more so. They dont have the sting, but the annoyance factor is the same. It's great that Marc's continuing to improve. Maybe the fact that he's feeling better and better will encourage him to develop even more good health habits. It's never easy to make changes like that. I've been trying it with sugar for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my sweet tooth when I went through menopause, plus diabetes runs in my family and now my blood sugar is starting to trend borderline for pre-diabetes so I have no problem with avoiding sugar. re Marc, he seems determined to make changes but we'll see 6 months down the line. And I wanted to mention that I finally have seen some indian paintbrush, a few small groupings, but no field's worth and fewer bluebonnets in the front yard this year than most.

      Delete
  13. Glad to know that Marc is improving. And no, the new washer-dryer definitely is not a frivolous purchase. Sorry your dealing with such an infestation of fire ants. Can you call someone to help you find and eradicate the nest? Because it doesn't sound like they're getting the message of the vacuum cleaner. This is probably the last thing you need to be dealing with right now. But your garden is thriving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know where the ants came from and found the nest they were trying to establish in the house. they came from one of the pots I had brought in the garage to winter over and I guess they decided to move for whatever reason. I've cleaned them out of the house and the garage though I'm still dealing with a few confused stragglers. Now I'm just smushing them when I see them. Now I just need to move the rest of the pots out.

      Delete
  14. Bring on the cataract op. I've had both eyes done and the world became a more interesting place. Moving me to compose a Shakespearean-format sonnet which I handed over to the eye guy at the next post-op. He was a great personage, full of confidence and sympathy, an unusual combination. I said: You may have had tribute sonnets before but this one's Shakespearean not Miltonian. For all of four seconds he was silent. Later he wrote me a letter saying he'd passed the sonnet on to the nursing team, one of whom had held my hand through the op (it's traditional). Easily my greatest literary triumph,.so bear this in mind

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ants! Ugh! We have a little problem with ants (actually termites, I suspect, but hey it's not my house) around our back door.

    I hope your weird eye halos have gone away. Glad Marc is improving!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.