Tuesday, February 21, 2023

more early spring wildflowers


Our son and daughter came out to visit Sunday to see their dad. They both brought food already cooked, Sarah brought lasagna and Aaron brought tortilla soup. Since Aaron lives in the city we don't see him very often and it's even rarer that we see the two of them at the same time. I did more weeding and turning of the earth Sunday. The wind had died down and it was sunny and had warmed up some, really a perfect day to dig. This is the same area I started on before. I didn't get it all done but I'm getting there. Next throw in some fertilizer and compost and turn that in and it will be ready to plant for a small spring garden. Also I have two shepherd's crooks I'm going to experiment with planting squash maybe in hanging baskets. Don't know how it will work, or maybe green beans. Anyway it will be my first food garden in years.

The yard still looks pretty bleak even though it is covered in 10 petal anemone flowers. I've tried to get a picture but they just don't show up well, can't see in the picture what the eye sees. This is a small section but the whole yard is like this. 

And the purple woodland violets are starting to fill in where the anemones aren't.


The long bed on the east side is completely dormant, well, some of the love-in-a-mist are sprouting. I don't think I'm going to get many rocket larkspur this year or poppies for that matter. Not seeing any sprouts for them but, as I keep reminding myself, it's still just February. On the other hand some of the bluebonnets in the front are already sending up first blooms.

Besides working in the flower bed I went around the yard digging up the sow thistle, some of which were already three or four feet tall. Back to being overcast and windy Monday. I finally started cutting down the dead confederate rose stalks after breakfast. Got all of one done and half the other when it started to sprinkle and since there was an 80% chance of rain I came in and read for a while and then took a nap. I could have taken another one while I was writing this yesterday but it was almost time to get changed for yoga. It never did rain and now the howling wind is back.

The other thing is that our new phones came yesterday. We're moving up from an iPhone 6 to a 13! Marc got everything switched over on his while I was at yoga last night and he helped me with mine this morning.


 

15 comments:

  1. Yay for new phones! I love mine - although it is heavier & I think my excessive use of it has caused some tendonitis in my thumb (the answer to that is to put the phone down ya dummy). Put that Bluebonnet with Shoreacres's Indian Paintbrush & you'll have Texas in a nutshell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the flowers blooming there. It gives me hope for spring. But first we have to get through freezing cold 26 degree temps here and a forecast of SNOW! Yikes. Wonderful that the kids came for a visit. Hope all is going well for Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have even more flowers than the last time you checked in, That's good. I think you moved Aunt Laura's iris to a sunnier location, I'll be happy to know how it doesl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the Texas bluebonnets. And I approve of adult children bringing food when they visit, very nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing says spring like bluebonnets! Squash in a hanging basket sounds interesting, look forward to seeing your garden planted.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. the weather peeps are saying that Texas will be spared the coming storm, so your flowers are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the same phone jump I did about a year ago! From a 6 to a 13. I still haven't learned much about the cameras. I am so dreading summer here in TX. What with the highs in the 80's in February, just imagine July and August!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your garden. I haven't had a vegetable garden in years, but I know how much work is involved. The results justify the effort, however. My daughter wouldn't even look at a tomato until we grew our own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be so interested to see what you coax out of your garden for the table. I think we are overdo for some mushroom compost on our garden.
    Enjoy your new phone! I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely little blossoms everywhere. I am looking forward to your food growing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice to see your pretty flowers starting to bloom. I saw some flowers blooming along the Riverwalk up here in Illinois which was surprising. They are lovely yellow blooms but I don't know their names. We are supposed to have freezing rain today, tho, so no more blooms today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I envy the photo quality that the iPhones have. I think I have too much muscle memory from Androids to make the switch. I'm still hard wired for Reverse Polish Notation on a calculator, which you can't buy anymore. The flowers are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bluebonnets! I swear, your yard is one of the best producers of spring wildflowers I know. I do love those ten-petal anemones. Do you ever get the colored ones? I found some pinkish ones down this way -- usually I only seen the occasional colored one around Palacios, or in the hill country. I wonder if it's a soil thing, like with hydrangeas. I have a vision in my mind of your squash hanging from a shepherd's crook. That sounds interesting as can be.

    Good that the kids came by, and that they came bearing food. Food is good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clearly, I don't have myself trained yet, but I'm trying. That's me up above.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to order a new phone. You've inspired me to take that on, perhaps tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.