Monday, December 19, 2022

preparations, white knuckles, J6 referrals



Minnie and Cat getting closer.

I got up Sunday morning and checked the weather app hoping hoping hoping that the low of 21˚ on Thursday night had been revised upward. It had been revised all right but not upward. Now the predicted low for Thursday is 15˚!!! And 19˚ Friday night, 31˚ Saturday night so I spent the day pruning back the pink angel trumpet and the begonia and brought them and my tall cactus/succulent in the house, pruned the tops of the wedding bouquet plumerias so the big tarp would cover them in the garage, took cuttings of the firespike and morning glory bush which will freeze to the ground but I don't know if they'll come back, moved the two potted altheas into the garage, moved the big pot of walking iris in the house, snugged the white orchid tree up against the house protected on the north and west side, cut back the porterweed and bougainvillea in preparation for being covered both of which probably won't survive the teens anyway as well as the bird of paradise and gardenia which I will also cover. I'll have to cut the yellow trumpet flower back hard to cover it and it's just now covered with buds. I'll have to cover the ponytail palm too but I don't expect the foliage to survive the teens and twenties. It will be the third year in a row that its growth gets frozen down to the bulb. We're looking at 36 – 48 continuous hours well below freezing. The ginger, the shrimp plant which just started blooming, the leopard plant, the confederate roses, the crinums, the banana trees, the morning glory bush, the firespike, the yellow bells will all freeze to the ground. Some of those may not come back and I'm afraid this might just kill my azaleas. It took them til this summer to really recover from the arctic blast two winters ago and my sweet little Japanese azalea is so small.

I'll cover it but not the rest of the azaleas because I just don't have the material to cover everything. Hopefully it will finally kill off the white fly on my camellia that has resisted my efforts just so long as my camellia doesn't die as well.

I know my readers up north are probably rolling their eyes since they deal with temperatures like this and worse every winter plus snow and ice but I live on the coastal plain of Texas. It's not supposed to get this cold here. Just looked at the revised forecast...now four nights: 15˚, 19˚, 19˚, 25˚.

I did all that yesterday so that I can start getting things covered Tuesday and Wednesday. Today rain was predicted and I needed to take my sister to the airport this morning, an hour there and an hour back, for her flight to spend the holiday with her daughter in Albuquerque. It sprinkled/drizzled a little bit on the way there but mostly no rain at all and for the first half hour on the way back, but the last half hour was through a near zero visibility hard rain white knuckle drive. Seriously, if the vehicle in front of me was white, I basically couldn't see it unless they tapped their brakes and then I could see the tail lights. Fortunately I made it home without incident.

----------

The last J6 committee hearing was today and they reviewed their previous findings which findings they felt were enough for criminal referrals of Trump and unnamed 'others' (possibly Eastman, Meadows, Giuliani, and Clark) to the DOJ for:

  1. Obstruction of an Official Proceeding - Title 18 Section 1512

  2. Conspiracy to Defraud the United States – Title 18 Section 371

  3. Conspiracy to Make a False Statement – Title 18 Section 1001

  4. Incite”, “Assist” or “Aid or Comfort” an Insurrection – Title 18 Section 2383

Unfortunately a referral doesn't mean the DOJ will follow up with an investigation and indictment but we have high hopes that this DOJ will proceed on the recommendations of the J6 Committee. In addition to these criminal referrals, the J6 Committee recommended 4 House members, including McCarthy, to the House ethics committee for refusing to honor subpoenas. That will likely go nowhere once the new House is sworn in since republicans have a slim majority. And of course the usual House republicans and the MAGAts over at the cesspool Twitter has become are going nuts.

----------

Well, I totally messed up my 'finished with my task' post. I meant to juxtapose the starting picture (which is really first day progress picture because, well, me who always forgets to take a before picture) with the finished picture. So I know we are all tired of seeing these pictures but I'm going to post the two anyway because I want to see them together. You don't have to look at them or comment on them. You can see the hackberry tree in both pictures that I still need to cut down.



----------

Alright, tomorrow is grocery shop day and my night to fix dinner which I think I'm going to make a lentil stew and in between those tasks I'll start covering stuff.



13 comments:


  1. The arctic blast will certainly reach you as well as Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you move those native iris from Aunt Laura to a sunny spot? Perhaps with the sunshine and the four days of frozen ground, they'll think they are up nort again, and bloom next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did move them to a sunnier spot so I have high hopes.

      Delete
  3. You have quite a collection of plants, some of which I do not know. Here is hoping they survive. My azaleas must be a hardier type as they survive our mild be cold winters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope the DOJ follows up with charges. It will be years before there is any final resolution, but it has been cathartic to see the allegations laid out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've revised our temperatures down too but not to the teens. Only to 20. But it does look like we'll warm up in the days at least so perhaps I won't lose everything. It would take Cristo to cover my azaleas.
    I do not know where you get the strength and energy to do all you do in the yard. I swear, woman. You are a force.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you posted your "almost" before picture - it really shows the magnitude of the work you accomplished. Wow!

    We're going to have a really cold Christmas, but that's not quite as rare as what you're experiencing. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is VERY cold for where you are. Kind of like that winter blast you got a year or two ago. Hopefully your porterweed will pull through like it did the last time. It's heartbreaking to see all these plants that are about to get blasted, isn't it? Here's hoping they all pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather think that a low of 15 will have your global warming deniers howling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watered everything in pots today, so they'll have a little time to soak up some water, and drain before coming inside. It makes the pots much heavier, but it still seems to help. I dug around and found my gallon of windshield washer fluid that's good down to zero. Good to thirty-two degrees isn't going to cut it this time. I need to find a couple of good recipes and do a little cooking; a nice white chicken chili with cornbread might be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay warm! I really hope the DOJ does its job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an amazing transformation, and a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's cold everywhere. I'm going to be interested to see if the new boxwoods survive. They're up to their heads in snow, and there's nothing to be done about it, since it's been so cold. That piece of your yard does look good now.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.