Saturday, December 17, 2022

monster task, monster, monster bush


Friday I headed over to the shop yard with cart, hoe, and loppers determined to git 'er done. It took me less than two hours I think but man, that section had some monstrous roots; big, thick, long, ropy roots. 

where I left off

finished

The only reason I was able to do it at all is because all that dirt is not the dirt the ground around here consists of. This is bought high quality garden soil, about 8 yards or so, loose sandy loam which made it so easy to hoe it out and pull roots loose. Well, easier. It would have been an impossible task for a person with a hoe and loppers if it was our heavy clingy clayey dirt. I wished many times that I could shovel it up into a wheelbarrow and use it in the low spots at home. But all those roots made that just a pipe dream.

I'm glad I got it all done Friday because the weather did turn colder today and the next four days with overcast or rain, highs in the 50s, lows in the 40s until next Thursday when the low is predicted to plunge to 21˚. This does not make me happy. The banana trees will freeze to the ground, the ginger will too but then it does even with a moderate freeze. The porterweed will have to be cut back and covered and it may still die but that's OK as I've potted up several volunteers, the pink and yellow angel trumpet will have to be cut back drastically so I can cover them though I may be able to get the pink in the house and of course the yellow has started blooming for the first time this year. I'll have to bring in the begonias, cover the ponytail palm but all the foliage will still die off...again. Will have to cover the bird of paradise and the bougainvillea and the gardenia. Fuck! And I hope to all the powers that be that the brand new water pipes in the shop don't explode like they did last year. I'll have to do a better job of draining them. I'm still hoping against hope that as we get closer they'll revise the low upwards.

----------


I'm sure we've all seen by now the Major Announcement by Trump on Thursday for his NFT digital trading cards, for which he has been roundly mocked, showing him as a superhero and other ridiculous comic book depictions of him all tough, buff, and muscular (and if you haven't seen his video announcement, it is hilarious) which could be purchased with cryptocurrency or credit card. I had to google NFTs which are supposed to be connected to blockchain (which I don't really understand) which is supposed to make them secure and uncopyable, like your domain name. Apparently NFTs are becoming very popular for original content by artists of all genres. What I did find out is that first you have to establish a digital wallet, then when you purchase your NFT it is sent to your digital wallet from which you can access the image or game or video or music or writing or whatever. This makes sense to me if what you purchased is a game or video or music or even essays or other writing that you would need a device for to use but not for digital art. At least for me. I tried to find out if you could print out your digital art you purchased to have a hard copy but I haven't been able to determine this yet. I gather not. Personally, if I buy a piece of art, even if it is a ridiculous trading card, I want to be able to hang it on my wall where I can see it ll the time. Instead, I assume, the only way to gaze upon your purchase is through a device when you go to your digital wallet. The other thing about NFTs is that as an investment, you can resell it but 10% of the sale price goes back to the original creator (which for artists is a good thing) and there would probably be a fee from whatever platform you use to sell it on.

According to the site through which these cards could be purchased, they sold out 45,000 for $99 each in less than 24 hours, which I find extremely hard to believe, and the percentage of the purchase price that goes to Trump, however much that is depending on the licensing agreement he signed, goes straight into his personal pocket. At any rate, the site now says sold out. Here's a link to a very good article, Trump's Trading Card Grift Is Worse Than You Think by Kurt Eichenwald, about how it all works, who is behind it, etc. To say that the whole thing is very hinky is putting it mildly. Speculation is that sales were not by individuals who probably didn't understand what they were buying or how to access it (and Allison posted some tweets about that) so much as big money players supporting Trump's divisiveness in American society. They see a divided America as a weak America.

----------

So to end with something a little more uplifting here's a picture of the monster heritage rose bush blooming now. 




14 comments:

  1. I suspect the trading cards are a form of money laundering. Your gardening exploits never fail to amaze. Such strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're right. I wouldn't call that gardening exactly, more like restoration. I find a little bit every day, weather permitting, gets the biggest jobs done but I have to persevere even when I'm weary of the task.

      Delete
  2. You have done a monumental amount of work in that side yard!
    The heritage rose is like those that grew in our ditches along our undedicated road when I was a child. They had a very flat flower. My dad loved them and tried and tried to start one on our yard, with not success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your hard work has paid off and I am sure that now your muscles will be rippling, your body buff and tuned up, so you will be ready for your own set of super hero digital cards. Think of all the money you will make. Imagine all the new admirers. If you are unfamiliar with the fine art of grifting I am sure that Trumpy will be able to help you. Heap praise on him and you can do anything - even have a public forum for antisemitism, with a nice meal thrown in. Only in America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're supposed to get down to 22 here next Saturday, I think. I am freaking about my plants. Some of them are so huge that I'm not sure two men could move them in and I don't know where in hell I'll put them.
    You have done a massive job clearing that space. I KNOW how much work that's been. Glad it's done for now. I think if I were you I might cover it with something like bark cloth to let it sit over the winter without getting weeds.
    Do you prune that rose? It's gorgeous.
    As for Trump- I'd just as soon not talk about him. I thought for sure this latest scam would fall on its face but I guess his followers will buy anything he says, does, or sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at the weather app on my phone and Thursday night has gone from predicted 21 to 15!
      You might remember I pruned about ⅓ off it around the bottom this summer so I could get all the little trees that had sprouted and virginia creeper out but that was the first time. My sister prunes it a little now and then so she can get between it and her house easily. When I planted it there long before we even thought of putting a house there I had no intention of pruning it just to see how big it would/could get. I never imagined it would get this big.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should let mine go to do what they will.

      Delete
  5. Excellent results from your hard work! A clean space of garden is now yours to plan. Love the monster rose bush!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just gets crazier and crazier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I can't believe all those things sold out. Unless people are a lot dumber than I thought. (Or unless Trump himself bought them all to save face.)

    I can't believe we're on our way to Florida just in time for freezing temperatures to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 37paddington:
    I think you’re exactly right, that the Trump grifter cards were bought out by dark money associates who want to keep Trump as a divisive force in our politics and society. I’m pretty sure his followers had no clue how to secure their NFT purchases, if indeed they even grasped with a NFT card was. Somebody bought out the whole thing to shut down the ridicule of it all. What a joke he was. Who convinced him this was a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one tweet today that he's being investigated over these cards because they lifted copyrighted images that still had the watermarks on them. As Bugs Bunny says...what a maroon.

      Delete
    2. ROFL here .... couldn't expect anything less from such a moron! How did he ever get to where he is, even with all of the theft/lying, etc.? Such a buffoon. A world-wide buffoon at that! Well, when he goes to jail, he'll just be another orange-haired, orange dressed nobody up for grabs by any other prisoner he's serving with. What a waste of flesh.

      Delete
  9. That rose bush is as big as South Carolina!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.