Wednesday, November 9, 2022

results of one kind and another


Well, it wasn't as good as we would like and needed but not as bad as it could have been as democrats had the best showing of any incumbent party that holds the presidency at the mid-terms in 40 years. Gerrymandered Texas, Georgia, and Florida kept their horrible republican governors (what the fuck is wrong with people?) while democrat governors held their own. Control of the Senate and House is still undetermined through some very tight races with votes still being counted and likely run-offs (Warnock and Walker for one, once again, what the fuck is wrong with people that Walker wasn't soundly defeated). It's possible democrats could keep both but likely, so 'they' say, they will lose the House which means no more progress on Biden's agenda. Hopefully, if republicans take the House and they start all those ridiculous investigations they will prove, once again, that they have no intention of actually governing but rather engaging in vindictiveness and it sickens me that McCarthy and Marge Greene (who was unfortunately re-elected but it looks like Boebert, at least, is losing) could be the leading republicans in the House. Not sure what it will mean for the J6 committee especially since both Cheney and Kinzinger are out. If democrats at least keep the Senate, they will continue to approve Biden's appointees/judges and keep whatever horrid bills the House comes up with in check. If democrats lose both, well, Biden still has veto power. In local races, democrats did well, retaining and gaining some seats, though some losses, so, so much for republicans' much ballyhooed red wave, even Trump's chosen candidates did not do well. Hopefully this will be the death knell for his grip on the republican party though I don't expect the GOP to finally find it's integrity even if they do sideline him since they will continue on their MAGAt path.

----------

Here's a reminder of the last progress picture I posted of clearing out the overgrown garden beds taken last Friday.



And Saturday's progress. I got all but one section of the small white raised bed out and worked toward the small sheet metal bed.



I also got the bougainvillea in the ground.



I did not work on that project on Sunday, giving myself a little break, but I did get compost and fertilizer turned into the dirt and got my pansies in. Turns out I didn't have enough, need 1 1/2 more 6-packs.



Also got the little violas in a pot on the deck.



Back on the big project, this is Monday's progress. Got the last section of white raised bed out and one short and one long side of the smaller metal raised bed. I may have to put further work on this on hold til it gets a little cooler as I was overheated by the time I quit after about an hour. Got back to the house, splashed cold water on my face and neck, stripped naked and stood under the fan on high until I dried off enough to put on some clothes but still had to stand under the fan a while longer. Just would not stop sweating.



The sky Monday evening on my way to yoga class in El Campo, taken through my dirty front windshield.



Last week my night blooming cereus bloomed again! I've kind of lost count but this is the 5th or 6th bloom cycle this year. There were just 7 instead of the 20+/- it had been putting out but the flowers were huge! And because it bloomed Friday night when that little front came in they were still mostly open Saturday morning.




18 comments:

  1. Oh I'm imagining a deep breath of the cereus' scent. Good work there on garden areas. What a lucky sunset photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are wonderful! The gardening tasks about at my current level are the little containers. The heavy lifting you do is in my rearview mirror now, not totally sad about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that is some kind of wonderful alien flower! Treasure in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda sue here why am I anonymous all of a sudden? Blogger must be a republican...

      Delete
  4. MSNBC called the election one of the most stunning electoral outcomes in modern American history, and going back 86 years, with no one to blame but the Republicans. Sadly, in Ohio JD Vance won a senate seat, and that is 8 long years. Of course, he may flip again.
    I wonder if Trump is licking his wounds.
    Your hard work is paying off. The grounds and the garden are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch McConnell gave Vance 30 million dollars, the Democratic Nation Convention, or what ever they're called wouldn't give Ryan any money. One wonders what they were thinking.

      Delete
    2. Where are these guys getting that kind of money to just give it away like they're doing? Do they get to write it off on their taxes?? How about sharing the wealth with those you serve? Makes me think of the latest PowerBall lottery--Robert was saying that the winner could give every man, woman and child a million dollars and still be filthy rich. Amazing.

      Delete
  5. Those are the most amazing flowers. It's pretty cool that they continue to bloom. I read that Uvalde, recent scene of the mass shooting, not visited by Abbott even one time, voted for that man. What is wrong with people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the elections are a good indication that most Americans are rejecting the Trump agenda. Even in places that normally lean Republican his toadies are struggling. The Boebert race looks to be on a knife-edge -- she could still pull it off, but Lord I'd love to be done with her.

    It must feel good to get those raised beds out of there. The cereus are beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you say, not quite what one might have wished for, but a whole lot better than it might have been. And it might just signal the unravelling of Trump's grip on the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Warnock and Walker race being this close is unbelievable to me. When I saw that your horrible governor, like ours, had won re-election I thought, "Poor Ellen, Texas, Poor Florida." But overall, things could have been much worse.
    Looks like we're about to get some rain. I'm hoping to do some yard work next week when it will be cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am lucky to live in a Blue state (Illinois) and was glad to see that results weren't as bad as they could have been in the rest of the country.
    That sunset is really glorious! and congrats on all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another month of listening to Walker mumble nonsense on TV ads. He sounds so much like Trump when he answers questiond with words strung together that have no meaning. The world has gone insane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was pleased & disappointed by the election outcome, which I guess is the best that we can have at the moment (or even should have because we do need many different (noncrazy) voices in our government). Your flowers are gorgeous! But I most love the birdbath - so much fun! Oh & the sky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cereus blossoms are simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Bloom is Magnificent! The Election Cycle is exhausting and indeed, so close, even with Lunatic Fringe Nominees, that I do have to wonder WTF is wrong with those Voting for Extremists and Radicalized Lunatics or washed up Celebrities who can barely put a Sentence together with any modicum of intelligence, let alone Govern. Then again, they've infiltrated deeply into our Political System now and its doubtful we'll be a Unified America anytime soon, we're fractured and polarized to a point it is weakening our Nation and Democracy is in peril. Our Adversaries abroad are watching closely, Trust and Believe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ellen--you make me want to get my hands in the dirt again... Just for a bit each day. Hugs and thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a wonderful sky shot! And aren't you glad you've gotten so many of your yard chores done? I don't know how cold it's going to get, but we're sure enough done with heat and humidity for a while. Be careful with that profuse sweating -- it can be a sign of heat exhaustion. It can creep up when it's as humid as it's been. It doesn't look like it's done your Cereaus any harm, though -- those blooms are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.