Saturday, November 19, 2022

bonfire, rain, and bodily explosions


Correction on my previous post...Murdoch does not own the Washington Post, I meant the New York Post.

It's Saturday and it was raining when I woke up, not hard but a steady light rain. The weather prognosticators say it's going to rain all day and so far, yes, and that's fine as long as it's this same steady light rain. Of course I'm pretty sure that means no Farmers Market this morning and last week, while it wasn't raining it was cold and windy and wet. I did not venture out so I don't know if anyone bothered to set up or not. I wouldn't have.

Yesterday I torched the burn pile, had quite the bonfire going there for a few minutes while it consumed all the dry monster rose bush prunings and the mass of vines that I've cleared so far and whatever else had accrued before I piled those thing on top. Then I worked on the vines for about 40 minutes before I went in for lunch.



Moving further backward in time, Thursday at SHARE was busy, the most people ever since I've been volunteering there. We filled 42 food requests, mostly medium to large families. The little waiting to be interviewed area up front was packed when I got there at 9, which is when we open, and stayed packed until about 12:30 (we close at 1 PM). We were short one of the volunteers that do the interviewing so one of the guys that work in the back got pressed into service, I've been demoted, he told me. (We like our little niches in the back.)

Speaking of SHARE, it has become my first go to if I'm looking for a specific article of clothing as they have better quality than the thrift stores and...free. This summer I got two pairs of capris, one jeans and the other a lightweight cotton with lots of pockets and this fall a really nice blue long sleeve cotton shirt from L. L. Bean and when I told Jan I was looking for a lightweight jacket of sorts (she was still bringing the winter clothes out and putting away the summer clothes) she brought over five or six items...no, no, no, oh hell no, yes, no, no. The 'yes' is a buttery soft tailored suede like (but washable!) jacket. I love it.



And Thursday night is yoga at Hesed House here. One of the things about yoga is that some of the asanas and movements put pressure on your intestines that cause you to do something we try not to do in public. Like fart. And so, much to my chagrin, during one of the core strengthening exercises, I did. Now, it's not the first time I have farted during a yoga class but they've been barely audible little things. Not this time, no no, it was a sudden loud explosion and fortunately it was quick. I knew I had a fart building up but how do you stand up and excuse yourself for a minute in the middle of class while you go outside to release it. I was trying to have the proper muscles clamped down so it would release slowly, quietly but no such luck.

Ah well, no one laughed. Out loud anyway.



12 comments:

  1. Well, I have to admit right here that I laughed out loud when I read your yoga farting experience. Not something we ever want to do it pubic, but now I'm wondering why. Mmmm?
    There is a second hand clothing store here in town that I haven't ventured into in all the years we've lived here. They always have such nice stuff in the window. I think you may have inspired me to walk in. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- why DO we get so embarrassed when we fart in public? I mean, everyone farts. EVERYONE. Even my grandsons who think that farts are the funniest things in the world will deny that it was they who farted. "It wasn't me, it was you!" "Ha!" I say. Yesterday Levon did say, after farting, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fart in your face."
    That jacket is amazing. I know you must love it.
    I've got a burn pile getting ready to be torched too but we've had too much rain for that I think. Not too much rain in general, just enough not to let the burn pile dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farts and burps are not to be out loud or in public. I wonder when this sensibility crystallized in our culture. I figure the Puritans are to blame for that as well as the weird christian attitude about sex.

      Delete
  3. That jacket reminds me of one that I have which I could have sent you. But it's probably way too big for you and actually isn't as lightweight as I always think it is (which is why I need to donate it - I try to wear it in the fall, but it's too hot, and then I don't think of it in winter) .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lot of fire wasted- where are the marshmallows? Where is the trump effigy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jacket is a great bonus from working at the food pantry. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jacket looks wonderful. What a find! I wasn't aware that yoga held the promise of an explosive experience. I am just glad the whole class didn't decide to enjoy the moment together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several church's have volunteered at our community food pantry. We donate food, but since I do not belong to a church, I have felt I could not volunteer. Maybe I should look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While SHARE was started by church people and most everyone goes to church or is a believer and they will occasionally have a prayer circle if someone asks for one (when that happens I just stand there respectfully even though I'm not a believer and I don't do religion), it's not a requirement. I had to fill out a form and one of the questions was what church or other institution do you represent. I wrote 'humanity'. No one said anything, no one proselytizes. They're just glad that people want to volunteer there.

      Delete
  8. A year or two ago someone was wandering around London spraying graffiti that said, "I farted in yoga."

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sreed99342/51844585628/

    That's a nice jacket! And yes, the NY Post -- you're right about that one. (I don't even think of the NY Post because I never read it when I lived there.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when I was a young my Mom once told me, "Even Jacqueline Kennedy poops." Which was so surprising to me but made me realize how much we all have in common!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that fart management would be part of yoga.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.