Friday, March 18, 2022

another busy week


I don't know if I just don't have anything interesting to write about or I'm just too damn busy these days.

Tuesday we started a new landscape in the watercolor class, a sunset reflecting on water which will have a sailboat and a line of vegetation when done. All we did was the sky and water, very loosely done with washes. This is Gay's example to follow. I wasn't happy with my first attempt so I tried it again and now I have two to choose from next week. Sorry, apparently I didn't take a picture of either of mine.



I did take my painting to class Tuesday to show Gay my progress and she was very complimentary, made a few suggestions for the female bird which I attended to. So here's my progress on that. Now to do the male bird and then the background.



Wednesday I moved all the plants back out of the garage and the house and got the small plants set up on the etageres by the back door and finally found the little frog I'd been hearing off and on and it turns out there were two little frogs hiding amongst the plants and they were both still alive. 



Then I moved the truck and swept off the concrete apron and brought Jade's rug over from the shop to roll out to vacuum it. It's a big rug, 8' x 10' or so, and it needs to be seriously cleaned but first it had to be thoroughly vacuumed to get as much of the dirt and dog hair and people hair off as possible.



While I was doing that Rocky came by to let me know he would be here Thursday to see if we could finally find and fix the leak in the roof/wall of the shop/studio and fix it. You might remember several months ago I climbed up the ladder in the studio with a can of FlexSeal paste to plug up the holes we could see and I did a fair job but some water was still getting in when it rained. 



I decided the sheet metal panels of the overhang needed to come off where the leak was so we could get a better look at where the roof of the shop met the wall from the outside and hopefully find where the water was getting in.

I had bought a tube of F/S paste for a caulk gun and after he removed 5 of the overhang panels outside, he climbed up on the inside and used all of that plus 2 cans of F/S spray on top of what I had applied previously and then he climbed back up on the overhang and he called out to me to look. There was a crack where the caulk was oozing out from the inside and so we're pretty sure that was the culprit. Even so, he got a strip of metal flashing which he jammed up under the edge of the shop roof panels and then replaced the overhang panels under the flashing and then screwed the flashing down onto the overhang panels so that rain runs off the roof onto the flashing and then onto and off the overhang. So now we wait for a good rain to see if we (ha, he) was successful. While he and his helper were doing all that, I was cutting back winter damaged plants over there.


Because of all that, I didn't go to SHARE but they weren't open to the public as they had some repair work done on the building on the inside and it was a day to move everything back where it belongs and we'll open to the public next week.

And on top of all this, when I left to get Robin yesterday morning and take her to work, the check engine warning light came on and then the fishtailing car warning light came on. I got my sister to follow me to one of the local mechanics where the woman who runs the place is so abrupt she borders on rude and told me they couldn't work on my car til next week but she would look at it and see what the problem might be. So she plugged her little computer diagnostic device in somewhere under the dash and told me that the engine was running rich and was my gas cap on tight. I shrugged, popped the little door and turned the gas cap another couple of clicks and both lights went out. She may be rude but she didn't charge me anything whereas if we had taken it to a dealer they'd have probably charged me $100 for the same.

Well, I guess I do have plenty to say, though I'm not sure how interesting it is, so it must be I just haven't had the time.


 

25 comments:

  1. I wish I had a Rocky.
    I think your bird painting is going to be very fine. I do love watercolors.
    As to the rude-ish auto repair lady- I'd rather deal with someone who will tell you the truth in an abrupt way than one who will tell you what you want to hear, even if it's not the truth. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you do have a Rocky and his name is Glen. I'm starting on the male bird today. And yeah, so glad there was really nothing wrong with the car.

      Delete
  2. It was all very interesting. I love reading about your art work and watching it progress.
    The frog is very cute, and I hope s/he find a lovely place to sing their froggy songs.
    That gas-cap fix was so easy and great! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the gas cap was only a temporary fix as the lights came back on yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I hope that leak is finally fixed! And what a weird problem with your car. I'm glad it didn't cost anything to fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have resisted the ½" we got that night but waiting for a hard rain to be sure.

      Delete
  4. For me, reading your posts is like watching an interesting video. Your writing is so clear that I can picture what you don't photograph. Love the bird and flowers painting! Love the frog! Thank you for your comment on the anniversary of my father's death. I related to so much of what you wrote in the comment and responded in turn with a comment on my blog. Good to know that the car issue was easily resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks though sometimes I think I get bogged down in unnecessary detail.

      Delete
  5. Love your painting! I need a creative outlet for the days when the temp is too low and keeps me inside. I can handle abrupt people who know what they are doing. I would rather have that than some nice acting person who does half-assed work. That happened a lot in Missouri, so far, we have been pretty lucky here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, she didn't put me off and in fact I'm going to have to take the car back because the lights came on again.

      Delete
  6. Love the little frog. We used to have one that would hang out in the grill in Issaquah. I would pick him up and move him, and he, or someone who looked just like him, would reappear on the grill. We never did cook one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grill must have attracted gnats or flies. Food heaven for little frogs.

      Delete
  7. There is a way to turn off those lights and I can't remember the sequences. I especially hare the "change oil" ding, ding, ding, that the mechanics forget to turn off after they change the oil!
    I like your water color progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That change oil light comes on, in Marc's opinion, way before the oil actually needs to be changed. At least ours doesn't ding.

      Delete
  8. You can always put a hose up there now to see if it leaks. Glad the car lights went out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except there's some rust or something clogging the water line to the hose and I can't get enough pressure to spray it on the roof.

      Delete
  9. What will you do with your lovely watercolor drawings when you are finished? Will you frame them and hang them in your home? You do such a terrific job that you should show them off. Hope the roof leak and car trouble are fixed for good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Maybe frame one or two but I'll probably just put them in a portfolio for now.

      Delete
  10. I like your watercolor paintings! Hats off to rude lady for letting you to know about the gas cap:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately the lights came back on so I'll have to take the car back over to her.

      Delete
  11. Just looking at the guys on the roof gives me the jitters. My man loves heights and mountain climbing and regularly climbs up on our roof (a bit higher up than yours) to clean pipes and shingles and PV panels but also to have a look around. I usually feel like I am about to faint and scream at him.
    That shy watercolour is a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How odd, that a loose gas cap would cause those warning lights? I do not understand modern cars. (I don't understand old cars either.)

    I'm glad your frogs survived the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your painting. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do--watercolor painting, that is. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just as I expected, I like your bird better. It's going to be a really nice painting when finished. For that matter, it's pretty nice now. All the bells and whistles on today's cars drive me crazy. I'm going to hang on to my old one as long as I can. With luck, it'll last until I can't drive any more. I heard this weekend about a new BMW or Mercedes that has a 56" screen across the front. It can be yours for only a cool $100K. I guess I'll pass. Maybe next year. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.