Thursday, February 3, 2022

winter, winner, water (color)


Wednesday...It's supposed to get up to 72˚ today before it plunges to 40˚ tonight and tomorrow the temperature will rise only one degree and then three nights in a row below freezing. Of course, the woodland lilies are really coming into bloom.

The weather people have been warning of the coldest longest front for about 10 days now. First it was two nights below freezing, then one night, then three nights, then four nights, and now back to three nights in the mid to high 20˚s. I'm going to cover the porterweed but I don't expect it to survive. It's already frozen almost to the ground. And I'll cover the yellow angel trumpet in the big pot that's already putting out new growth and I think maybe the ponytail palm too. I plan to do that today instead of waiting til tomorrow when it will be mostly in the 30˚s and guaranteed to be windy from the north. (That chore is done. I covered the angel trumpet, the porterweed, the gardenia, the largest patch of the ground orchids, and the ponytail palm.) Other preparations are done as well...more bird seed, a suet feeder, and I walked down the road to a native pecan and filled a small container for the squirrels. My trees gave me not a single pecan for the second year in a row and there's just no food for them. Hopefully this will keep them off the bird feeder. Hahahahahahahahaha. I'm so funny.

Of course our republican government claims that the problem with the energy grid has been fixed and there will be no power outages like during the arctic vortex last year when people lost power for a week or two and many people died during which Texas Senator Rafael 'Ted' Cruz bundled up his family and took off for Cancun while his constituents froze and AOC in New York was sending relief supplies and generators to the people in Texas. Because freezing in the dark wasn't enough hurt, those that survived and had heat were hit with astronomical energy bills. Do I believe the powers that be fixed anything? No, I do not. Not in this anti-regulation state where profit is king. And now of course our governor is hedging his bets telling us that he can't promise there won't be any power outages because that's not really a priority for him. He's too busy taking bodily autonomy away from Texas women, sending our National Guard to the border for a non-existent problem and screwing them over in the process, forcing governmental control over private businesses and schools by prohibiting mask or vaccine mandates, and banning any school curricula and books that tell the truth about our country's history as it pertains to genocide, racism, and segregation because it might make those poor little white children feel bad.

The first of 8 watercolor classes was Tuesday. The sign up for the class suggested a one time donation of $35 to help defray the cost of the supplies but was not required. I got there first and placed my $35 in the donation envelope. I watched as several other people also donated. When it was time to start, one of the volunteers got up and passed around a sign in sheet, she mentioned that the donation would be appreciated but not required. A few minutes later one of the women got up and took her money back.

Instead of starting with making a color wheel and a chart of color combinations like last time she had us start right away with a winter landscape. This is the instructor Joy's (unfinished) example.

All we needed to do yesterday was draw three horizon lines and four lines that loosely delineate the two trees and paint in the sky and snow shadows. It was all loose and free. Aarrrgh! I don't do loose and free. All my artwork, from the etched glass to the pate de verre, is very controlled. I couldn't visualize the hills and mounds of snow we were supposed to be painting the shadows of. It's OK to make a mistake, it's OK to mess up she says. Don't over brush, don't over brush she kept telling us. Too late. I did just finally let go. Anyway here's my sky and snow shadows, yesterday's effort.

During class, Stephanie came over from the new house to tell us all hello and brought me a basket of goodies. At the open house there was a raffle for a chainsaw sculpture of a pelican by a local artist which I did not buy a ticket for and they had a drawing for 10 door prizes which I did put my name in for because, why not, and apparently I was one of the winners.


The basket, 2 large mugs, instant latte mix, and 3 hand embroidered dish towels. The dish towels are huge, 30” x 30” lightweight cotton.

In retrospect, we all would have been better served had I not won. I'm not a basket person and will never use it (it would be perfect for keeping yarn in but I don't knit or crochet), we will never use those large mugs, probably won't drink the instant coffee mocha mix, we're not big candy eaters but the dish towels will get used.



23 comments:

  1. Maybe you could donate those items back for another raffle?

    It's very good to make art outside your comfort zone. And for you, watercolor is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is that but it's also something I've wanted to learn for a long time.

      Delete
  2. I think you're going to enjoy this class if you can "let go". Hard for some of us, right?
    That's so funny that the woman went and took her thirty five dollars back in front of the whole class.
    As to the gift basket- REGIFT!
    I heard an interview with David Arquette on a podcast the other day and he attended a Bob Ross (happy little tree!) instructor training seminar in New Smyrna Beach in Florida! Like, eight days! It sounds so crazy. But he loved it!
    Y'all stay cozy. We're back up into the 70's here today. Florida weather is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, hard to let things happen instead of making them happen. But it's also something I've wanted to learn for a long time.

      Half the class had their backs to where the envelope was and the others were looking at the instructor. I just happened to be sitting where it was in my line of sight. But yeah, how tacky. Another woman who put money in the envelope also got up and walked over and sort of peeked in but I don't think she took her money out. If she did it was a very quick sleight of hand.

      Delete
  3. I don't know why it surprises me so much when you write about cold weather there, but it does. I always expect Texas to be hot and sunny everyday all year long. Why do I think this? I have no idea. I hope the cold weather moves on.
    I think re-gifting that basket would be a lovely idea.
    I love that you are taking a water color class. I'm looking forward to seeing what you paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't get very cold very often or for very long at least down on the coastal plain but Texas is big and a lot of it gets pretty cold with snow.

      Delete
  4. I do love your watercolors! I hope Texas escapes the ice apocalypse this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you can find someone to give all that coffee paraphernalia to. Hope your plants come through the cold spell OK! Funny about the woman taking her money back, but maybe she's in a financial bind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered that but then she obviously thought she could afford it when she thought it was a fee and not a donation.

      Delete
  6. Nice start on the painting. Winter is coming to Texas! Abbot is a liar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have already lost power so he gave a press conference today to say basically if you lost power it's not his fault. What a fucking asshole.

      Delete
  7. I must say, your comments on Abbott are right on point, between what he's doing to women's rights and creating a fake crisis on the border and screwing over the National Guard in the process he's a poor excuse for a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big AMEN to all you said in the first 3 paragraphs. Insanity reigns in much of the country these days.

    The artwork looks great. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are not clobbered by the officials in charge of your state over the thousand mile storm! We are in our second weekend of a 25" load of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course it's Abbott's fault. He had a year to prepare for this, and what has he done? Nada!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool that you have a native pecan tree that delivers nuts for you!!! I know of two black walnut trees here in Tehachapi (actually they're in Bena, but that's only 10 miles away) and I've collected them in the past, but they're a true mess to clean, much less crack and extract the nuts. And congratulations on winning that basket! You can take what you don't want to your next SHARE session and pass them out there. You'll score big points, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your water color! I also want to try it. Well, after I get unpacked. We just got our Dish turned back on. I must say I didn't miss the news every day, it tends to give me angst. Makes me feel like everyone in government has forgotten how to think and are busy doing the work of some ideal they have stuck in their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, we got our cold and some ice, but all's well this morning. The grid's in great shape, and the roads are clearing. I think you may still have more ice than we do -- I only had to break a skim of ice on the bird's water bowl this morning. Granted, my dining area's full of plants, but by this weekend, it's going to be time for them to go out. I love those dish towels. I still have a set my grandmother embroidered -- some have her recipes on them, for biscuits and such. Those old towel (we called them tea towels) are better for drying glassware than anything produced today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, out here at 10 AM this morning it is still in the mid 20˚s and the water in the birdbaths is still frozen solid. And that fucker Abbott giving a press conference yesterday, not his fault if you lose power. We're supposed to have another night in the 20˚s tonight. I won't know what damage out there until everything thaws out.

      Delete
  14. I love your watercolor! It looks exactly like a watercolor should! I always want to win things and then when I DO win I wonder why I wanted this stuff. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The basket could be home to magazines or catalogues or even books, the stuff we keep near the toilets for longer sessions, or sitting by the door with maybe extra socks or mittens. Wait, you don't have mittens in Texas I guess. My cats would have loved it.
    I really like what did with that watercolor prompt.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.