Tuesday, June 1, 2021

some yard work, some cooking, and now they're saying it out loud and in public


Oh joy, woke up to rain this morning cause you know we haven't had much of that around here lately. Just about every fucking day for weeks. And for the next 6 days counting today, rain is predicted for 5 of them. By the time it's finally dry enough to mow...



Sunday would have been a good day to work in the yard, overcast, not hot, a little breeze, and I still have 3 bags of mulch to spread out but after Saturday's efforts I just couldn't get motivated. I took it easy and read mostly so Monday I did get out there. The plan was to spread the mulch but first I decided to gather up the yellow coneflowers I had pulled out and tossed on the full garden cart and passed the rangoon creeper on the way to the burn pile and noticed how vigorously it had grown and if I was going to cut all the dead branches off the fence I better do it now because otherwise the new growth would overcome it, so two more trips to the burn pile. Then I decided to look over the fence between the shop and the neighbor I spent so much time and energy clearing and keeping clear all last year but have not this year at all and the ironweed/briar has taken advantage of my lack of attention, some virginia creeper too which I pulled off and out but left the ironweed as it is too labor intensive and I was already hot and sweating buckets. And of course the wild grape has made a comeback. No, no, fuck no! I pulled it all off. Now I'm going to have to go back along the fence line with an herbicide and convince the wild grape, once again, that it's dead. Hopefully it will kill off the ironweed too. Finally dragged my tired butt in about 1:45. Never did get the mulch spread out.

Then I decided to make the yellow squash croquettes that I had a recipe for 


which I had read over several times previously which turned out not to be what I started it out to be. Looked good, seemed simple...finely chop squash and onion, add amount of flour, an egg, salt and pepper, mix well, spoon into 1/2” of hot oil, cook about 3 minutes each side, drain on paper towels. So I'm chopping away thinking, raw squash and onions cooking in 5 or 6 minutes? Then I realized I didn't have any eggs. Fortunately my sister now lives across the street
the real reason I moved her over there and got an egg. So now I've decided I was going to just make this into a casserole and added some milk and bread crumbs to the other ingredients and stuck it in the oven. The 20 minutes start to finish of the original recipe had now taken almost an hour and it wasn't even cooked yet. It baked for 25 minutes and would have been better if it was completely cooked. Maybe I should have used a higher temperature. Anyway, it will get another chance to finish cooking tonight. In retrospect, the recipe must have meant 'minced', not 'finely chopped'. Btw, the recipe went into the paper recycling box.

----------

So now we have a retired general and an active congressman advocating the armed takeover of the US government. The former, Mike Flynn, telling a group that a military coup like in Myanmar should happen here and the latter, Matt Gaetz, telling another group that the Second Amendment was added to make sure the population had the weapons needed to engage in an insurrection against our own government. It wasn't, of course, as it was meant to mollify the slave states so they could keep their private militias for hunting down runaway slaves and also because there was no standing army at the time and the new country needed to be able to call up the citizens for it's defense, to protect the new government, not attack it. And new details coming out about the Oath Keepers and their part in the attempted coup on 1/6 with caches of weapons stashed, communication amongst the members and others during, a larger group stationed outside DC waiting to be called in, that they considered themselves Trump's private army just waiting for his word to attack. And of course the spineless Republicans who voted against a 1/6 commission choosing to protect their members who aided and abetted rather than our democracy. On a slightly humorous note, the lawyers for those arrested and indicted for their ebullient participation in the insurrection, giving cover for the objective of the Oath Keepers and other militia members decked out in their military gear, are trying the 'he's just a gullible dumb fuck and believed what Trump and Fox told him' defense. 

And this from the Aren't We Lucky Department, a headline in the Houston Chronicle today: “Texas is home to the highest number of accused insurrectionists”.

At least our Democratic state congresspeople flexed their muscles and prevented the most restrictive voter suppression bill in the country from being passed. It included things like no voting before 1 PM on Sunday, making it illegal to transport more than two non-family members to the polls, and allowing the state to overturn the results of an election and appoint the winner if someone, anyone, claims there was voter fraud, no evidence needed, just an accusation.

I'll leave you with this...sweet peas.



 

17 comments:

  1. It's a shame the croquettes didn't work out -- those look really good! Squash cooks pretty fast, so I could see five or six minutes in hot oil doing the trick. But then again, I don't cook much.

    The people running the Republican party these days are John Birch Society style nutters. I don't know where the moderate Republicans have gone. I guess they're just willing to sell their souls to get their court appointees, as well as their misogynistic and profiteering legislation, approved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so appalled by what goes in Texas that, if I lived there, I would be embarrassed to drive out of the state and have people see my car tag. I can but hope that you have supportive people in your life, people with too much intelligence and fairness to conflate treason and patriotism. I know, of course, that Texas has god knows how many millions of people who are utterly appalled by their pathetic government, but what can they do other than try to vote the idiots and hope that the replacements won't be murdered in the name of God and the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Texas and Florida, their own bubbles of crazy. I admire you for living there though out in the boonies like Mary. Takes a strong willed person to withstand the , shall we call it "ambience" of absurdity. You are a better cowgirl than I!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a bit scary to watch what is going on in Texas. WTF? I keep trying to figure out what is underlying all the insanity. What do you think? Why has it all gotten so bad like this?
    I have tried a few grated squash recipes. Some of have worked very well and some have utterly turned into mushy failures. I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweet peas are mighty pretty but we could do with some sweet peace around here.
    All the squash croquettes I've ever made started out with steaming the squash and onions and then mashing them up. I've never heard of using raw squash.
    Have you heard about Florida's new law restricting voting? How about our new law saying that trans girls can't play in competitive sports in school. You have to show up with a birth certificate saying that you were a girl at birth to qualify. There's so much wrong with that I can't even begin. At least Biden has made a proclamation in favor of trans rights AND is commemorating the Tulsa race massacre and speaking about systemic racism in this country. And I'm pretty sure he hasn't played golf once.
    Anyway, don't kill yourself working, Ellen. It's not worth it. Take care of yourself. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im beginning to think the thing to do is refuse to pay State taxes to one that Stops a persons right to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, consider the Sources, Flynn and Gaetz... the former would still be in Prison for Treasonous behavior had he not been Pardoned by the smarmy ex-Prez and the latter will likely end up in Prison for Child Prostitution involvement. Texas having the most insurrectionist, who couldda guessed, bwahahahahaha. Sorry, I been to Texas numerous time, this just doesn't Surprise me at all... they want to secede from the Nation anyway, perhaps we should let them, then when it all goes tits in Texas, go back in and start over because they'll have a fresh revelation of how much they need the rest of the Country. Of coarse here in Arizona we have the Fraudit and our own band of Lunatics, which is equally embarrassing and pisses the rest of us off, gives a bad rep to a State that overall isn't ALL Lunatics and ReTrumplican Cultists. We did go Blue this Election and it scared the shit out of the Extremist Groups here... they're being 'replaced' you know. *LMAOROTF*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how all this voting stupidity will end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sitting here shaking my head in complete disbelief that we have people THAT crazy in positions of power. Oh! Wait! I forgot our ex-prez... I stand corrected! ROFL here... Oh my word but people can be sooo hilariously dangerous. Where did all of the sane people go??? They're for sure not in politics these days! Thanks for the chuckle, Ellen. I am totally amazed... and I agree with Ms. Moon--Don't kill yourself dealing with those weeds--you know they'll only grow right back just to tweak your mind! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was all excited about the croquettes because we have a drawer FULL of yellow squash (and I don't much like squash casserole). Too bad they didn't work out.

    And yes, it's alarming how the crazy people are just right out there in the open being BELIEVED by their flock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the Republicans are digging their own grave with all of the voter suppression and insurrection talk. People will rise up to vote them out no matter how difficult they make the voting process. Remember what happened in Georgia? Long lines and suppression tricks did not stop the people from electing 2 Democrats, thank goodness! Working for all the people has given Biden a high approval rating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sweet peas a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet peas are such wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sweet peas flower photo looks delicate in the way that your ceramic artwork does, as if it's waiting for you to craft it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I truly despair for the survival of this country. If the pubtards take the senate in 2022, we're doomed. Justice Breyer refuses to step down, he'll probably die after 2022, and then the dems will never have another chance to appoint judges.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ellen and Friends, in my area (then i found out throughout Pennsylvania) the polling places ran out of republican ballots. In the, very republican area i live in, the polling place ran out three times throughout the day. i'm one of those mail-in (republican) voters, because come November, going to the polls means driving after dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue. voter suppression doesn't harm just democrats but suppresses the vote of republicans too, though most the suppression efforts target areas and parts of the population that generally vote democrat. people should not have to stand in line for 8 - 10 hours to vote. our own Attorney General just admitted in public that if he hadn't put the kibosh on mail in voting in our state, it would have gone blue. the current republican party is not aligned with the will of the people. they admit that if they do not suppress the vote they won't get elected. so they suppress the vote instead of having policies that people will vote for. this is just not right. especially these new laws being pushed that will allow the states to overturn the results of an election they don't like. it doesn't matter if it is republicans or democrats suppressing the vote, voter suppression is an attack on our democracy.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.