Tuesday, June 29, 2021

arranging, cooking, arting

I spent Friday and Saturday setting up the table I moved over to the studio for mold making, rehydrated the clay, washed the glass pieces he uses for dams, washed the buckets, gathered the miscellaneous stuff and put it on a shelf, moved a trash bag lined can in that can be filled with water for plunging the bucket of plaster in if things go south, cleaned and brought the little table in for steaming out the wax. The work sink is just out of sight on the left.


I also worked on a wax model Saturday until it got too hot. I had been over there with the air conditioner on and turned it off when I left and then when I went back the AC wouldn't come back on. That's when I worked on the wax til it got too soft. Went back later in the day after looking at new AC units and it came on again. So yay for that but I imagine it will eventually have to be replaced. It would be nice to have one that wasn't quite so loud.

Sunday was deal with tomatoes day. Two vendors finally had more reasonable prices on their tomatoes. So, another batch of tomato sauce



and the rest I skinned, cut out the lion's share of the stink bug damage, and stewed them for freezing. I only got four cups after I drained off most of the juice which I then froze in ice cube trays for use with soups or stews or bloody marys or whatever.



And then my daughter and grandgirls Jade and Robin came by Sunday evening and set us up with a fire stick and set up our accounts so now we have 5 options (cable and 4 others) for watching TV. First up, The Mandalorian.

I spent about 3 hours in the studio yesterday (and the AC cut off twice but fortunately it was overcast and a little rainy and we didn't even break 80˚ so with a fan it was tolerable), worked on the wax model and then worked with the modeling glass to make the lichens I intend to glue on the piece once the lizard on the log is cast.

I fiddled with those a little bit then covered the model with plastic film and set the lichens in place to dry. I plan to add at least 6 more lichens, 3 at each end. It's going to be tricky to keep them curved while they dry out and then fuse together in the kiln. And they will shrink about 15% so who knows how they will fit once everything is fused and cast
.



This is what I'm going for. The color of the ones I made will darken after they're fired.




Not sure my first attempt will be successful at this point. While I was doing that Marc made a test mold with the old plaster and silica flour to see if it is still viable.

Then it was my half hour or so of quiet time before leaving for yoga class. And then coming back you never know what you're going to see. These two steers came wandering out of the grassy field just as we were passing by.


Today I head back over to the studio to work on the lichens again.


 

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about your creative process today. Lichens! I've not seen pink lichens before. The ones here are grey/pale green. They are everywhere and also under the radar for most people. I'd not thought about lichens until two friends brought them to my attention in engaging ways. Lichens are a fascinating form of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tell us how you make your tomato sauce. Curious minds want to know! I see the basil and garlic.
    That lichen piece is going to be amazing if it turns out the way you want it too. I'm always amazed at the work involved to create your beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lichens. We have many, so many shapes and subtle colors. I've drawn them, yes, an interesting subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lichen art- Drool! That is going to be so fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lichens! What a wonderful art project. I am looking forward to lichen updates.
    Looking at your tomatoes makes me long for ours to grow quickly. Love homemade tomato sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Remember me? LOL My goodness, you've been really busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature's lichens are beautiful. I hope you succeed in emulation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound invigorated to be back to making art! Love your eye for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... I agree, those Lichen are beautiful! Would love to watch you at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you would be bored silly after the first 5 minutes. it's a slow process.

      Delete
  10. Of course it's a little trite to say so, but -- I'm likin' your lichens! They are beautiful. I hope all goes well with the process. I've never thought of freezing the juice from tomatoes in cubes. It's a great idea, but I don't have enough freezer space to do it -- at least, I don't once I've filled it up with peaches and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the first time I've frozen the tomato juice and I have no idea if we will actually use it but there was so much it seemed a shame to throw it out.

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of good work! I'm glad you've gotten back in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nature is amazing and you are doing a great job of showing that in your lichens. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that work, I love the lichens obviously but the tomatoes are looking excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm...I wonder whose cows those are?! The lichen look like they'll turn out well. Fingers crossed! I hope you don't have to replace the a/c right away, but it's weird that it only intermittently works.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.