Tuesday, June 8, 2021

day trip, food prep, and a dismal failure


It's been a busy few days. Saturday I tagged along with my sister and niece for another trip to Galveston. You might remember we had just gone when our brother was here and the car broke down on the way back. This time the car performed perfectly. I wouldn't ordinarily have gone again so soon but there were several purchases I wanted to make. And of course, getting to spend a day with my niece who is visiting.



pillow graffiti


street graffiti


my sister and my niece

And then on Sunday I finally put up the dozen or so ears of corn that had been in the refrigerator for several days. The quality not that great (don't know about the taste yet). I expected some of the kernels to be a little dimpled since I had procrastinated so long but half the ears had more or less of completely dried up kernels I guess because the farmers haven't been able to get into their fields because of all the rain.

I ended up with five vacuum sealed bags of 1 1/4 cups of cut corn and one with 3/4 cup.

Then I decided to deal with the peaches so I skinned the half that were perfectly ripe and sliced them up for freezing but decided to make a peach cobbler instead. I've used the recipe before and didn't like it all that much as it only called for 2 cups of sliced peaches so I doubled that and it came out great!

Then Monday the county came out with their scooper bucket and dump truck to 'fix' the ditches and drainage problem on our street. Which they did not!



You might remember someone from precinct 2 came out and pulled into our driveway a week or so ago to inform us that they would be sending a crew out to work on the ditches and they would scoop out two places in our ditch that he thought were high spots to improve the drainage. My ditch has never needed improvement as it has always drained perfectly well but whatev. It's not my end of the street that doesn't drain, it's the other end because culverts are clogged or collapsed and because in the 15 years I've been here the county has never regraded the slope of the ditches from the high end to the low end nor cleared the culverts. I'm at the low end. So the crew showed up and all they did was scoop out dirt from the ditch at each end of every culvert on the street creating pools for the water to collect and stand because the ground level is now deeper than the rest of the ditch. And in addition at my house, the two 'high' spots were completely ignored. 


water does not flow uphill

They did not ream out and/or replace culverts, they not did regrade the slope of the ditches, they just created pools for standing water. I was pissed. I called the county commissioner's office and read them the riot act and then I sent a long detailed email to the commissioner for my precinct with pictures about how inept they were. Other neighbors are pissed as well, especially those who still have water standing in their ditches that don't drain.

And speaking of things that don't drain, my kitchen sink is draining very slow again so I'll be working on that today.

Some good news. Pam finally sold her old house yesterday after the closing got pushed back three times because the buyer's bank's employees are incompetent.


 

16 comments:

  1. You really have been busy. I love the photos from the trip to Galveston. Such a beautiful blue-sky day there. The peach cobbler looks very yummy. You make me to bake or at least go buy a nice pie somewhere. Yum!
    Bummer about that ditch work there. It will be interesting to see if you hear back from the County Commissioner's office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not so far and I sent him another email yesterday.

      Delete
  2. I think I need the bacon pillow. Sums things up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to the beach. I swear- I need a little visit to the gulf so bad. Why don't I do it?
    I wish we could get decent peaches around here. I see the ones at the store and they say, "Juicy, tree-ripened" and I want to laugh. Hard as little rocks.
    Glad your sister finally got her house sale done and over with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cloud photo is the most perfect cloud ever!
    Standing water, now there's a hazard, City workers do not need to be smart, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about the incompetent ditch clearers. It hurts my pride as a former township employee because that would never have happened in my township. Our road guys knew their stuff. And I'm so pleased Pam is relieved of the worry of the house, and don't get me started on the reason it didn't close on time. I wonder what the current lot think work is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is ridiculous that that's all they did when they had sent a guy out with a shovel the week before to clear the mouths of the culverts so it wasn't like they were all covered up.

      Delete
  6. It was really interesting to see your cobbler. I made a peach cobbler this weekend, too, but with my recipe, the peaches go in first, and then a biscuit-like topping. It ends up the same way: peaches on the bottom, biscuits on top. I think yours must be the traditional 'Texas' or 'southern' recipe, where the peaches go first, but then the cake-like part is poured on top, and the peaches rise through it. The first time I had it that way was at the Hotel Blessing, and it sure was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peach cobbler: melt the butter in the baking dish, pour in the batter, spoon fruit on top, do not stir, bake. I can give you the recipe if you want. it's real simple.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Pam! Boo for incompetent ditch digging! Double yay for peach cobbler (I confess that I was really worried that would be the failure so I'm glad it turned out. Ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really, how hard is it to grade a ditch? Do you have a local TV station that enjoys doing gotcha stories on local government?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were able to take a day off to visit Galveston with your sister and your niece. It's always nice to have a getaway day:) You could do a better job on your ditch with all the work you put in than the city workers did with their big equipment. So sad to hear about the slipshod job that was done. I hope the county commissioner gets back to you on what he plans to do to remedy the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cloud tower is so impressive. Also the peach cobbler. Yum.
    I am more than ready for a trip to the sea but the nearest beaches are in Holland and Belgium, both countries still have borders shut or allow visits only with quarantine and because the numbers there are still up, quarantine also when coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Glad Pam sold her house. Your trip to Galveston looks like a lot of fun. Must be nice to have a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.