Friday, May 15, 2020

what I did during my 9th week of covid vacation


I spent the late morning/early afternoon last Sunday clearing out the trees, grape vine, and other weedy stuff from around most of the few plantings I have done over at the shop yard squirting stump killer on the woody stumps. I cleaned up around the rangoon creeper, the desert willow trumpet flower vine (which is not really all that viney since it hasn't climbed the pole I planted it next to in the 6 years it's been there), the heritage rose bush that I have not pruned back once in the 6 years it's been there, 


the banana trees and yellow bells, and finally the morning glory bush.

Monday I cleaned up the debris from my weeding and pruning in both yards, finally repaired the two wind chimes that have been on my work table for weeks months and got them hung back out and picked the last of the easter lilies.


I trimmed the yard Tuesday cutting down the last of the clasping leaved coneflowers that were still blooming. I hated to do it but it was time. This time I got Marc to coach me on starting the trimmer instead of asking him to do it for me and I did it! I only lasted for one gas tank's worth of time. I was sweating buckets by then but I got the big backyard and the little backyard and along the side of the driveway with the trees done so I thought I'd get the front yard the next day (I didn't). It really wasn't too hot out there, not like it will be, and overcast, but apparently any activity on a humid day makes me sweat.

the higher the humidity, the more clouds

Work on the shop room buildout has come to a halt again. Thursday last week the edge of the roof got repaired where it was leaking on the inside and Rocky wanted to give it a couple of days to dry before he hoses it down to check the repair or it rains, whichever comes first, before he finishes putting up the sheet rock on the ceiling. 


He and Melissa stopped by Monday late morning on their way back from the hospital to ask for a few days grace as Melissa's mom, who has been staying with them the last several weeks, fell early Monday morning and broke her femur and needed surgery and a pin to repair it. So yes, of course, take however long you need, there's no rush to finish. How old is your mom, I asked Melissa. She's 74. Well, that's scary, I just turned 70. (I've met her mom and to tell the truth, I thought she was older.) Rocky just laughed. The way you work around here, I don't think you need to worry, he said.

So Wednesday instead of finishing trimming the yard I did a grocery store run and went to the library. It's open again and yay! because reading material has been pretty dismal around here, not that I have managed much reading what with all the physical labor that has had my eyelids drooping the minute I open a book.

Yesterday was a long day. Pam and I drove the 3 hours to the outskirts of San Antonio, looked at manufactured homes for two hours at the place where my daughter bought hers, and then drove the 3 hours home. We had masks and gloves (for the necessary bathroom stops) and brought our lunches and water and snacks so our contact with the outside world would be limited. Everyone, employees and customers alike, were wearing masks at the business. We looked at 6 houses but discounted the first two (too cheesy) and one other which was nice enough and a good price on clearance but too long at 80' (3 bedroom) and it had an unnecessarily large utility room especially for just one person. If you had a spouse and a houseful of kids it would probably be great.

And why are two sinks in the master bathroom a thing? Of the 6 houses we looked at all but two had two sinks in the master bath. Do married couples really use the bathroom at the same time? Marc and I never have but then we've always had just one sink. It seems like a waste of space and then you have two sinks to clean instead of one and besides, those bathrooms aren't all that big to have two people bumping around in them at the same time. And do they think that single people aren't buying houses?

I did learn one thing though. We will have to have a 4” - 6” thick pad so that's something I'll have to get done after Pam decides on a house and we know what the footprint is.

We have a flash flood warning for tonight and tomorrow so I shored up my levee with some bricks and a slab of sandstone where the water pours off the edge of the roof from the way the peaks and valleys are arranged even with gutters, gutter screens, and the extra downspout. 


Then I went over to the shop to check the fence line and break off all the new growth from the roots of the grapevine, virginia creeper, and ironweed (and all the tree trunks sprouting like mad) because the spraying of diesel fuel and stump killer did not kill a damn thing! Even the poison ivy is coming back. That's going to get full strength stump killer tomorrow morning.

So that's been my week. I think the rest of today will be a couch day.




15 comments:

  1. Is monobor chlorate available in Texas? It's a soil sterilant. We used it a lot in Issaquah on the rockeries to keep anything from growing. I don't know if it would be effective against the stumps, but it did seem pretty lethal. That is a lot of work you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here after being in the office all day, about to fall asleep, and feeling REALLY slack compared to you. So what else is new? Ha!

    You know we have a prefab home & there are two sinks in the master bathroom. I use BOTH of them (Mike doesn't use that bathroom - he uses the second one at the other end of the house). I have a main sink for washing my hands, face, & brushing my teeth, and then the other one is where I do my hair, so I use that one to rinse off hair product & such. If the counter was bigger on one I probably wouldn't use the other one, but I can't fit all of my crap on one counter. And what does that say about me? About the same as the previous paragraph. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wish we had a two sink bathroom. David takes his sweet assed time while I have to wait to get in and brush my teeth wash my face and brush my hair. I'm bracing for the thunderstorm tonight. Lucy will keep me up for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Pam can find a floor plan that suits her. When I was looking to rent, my druthers made no difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get more done in a day than most people get done in a week;) I'd love to have your flowers but wouldn't survive the heat and humidity. Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so busy! The first thing I saw on the lily picture were the two tall ceramic pieces, they are really lovely - and then, saw little Flutter! What a delightful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ceramic pieces are by Simon Boses. I had originally intended to find an outdoor spot for Flutter but she still sits inside.

      Delete
  7. Jennifer is right- those ceramic pieces with the lilies, the bird, the shell are beautiful.
    How discouraging that the stump killer didn't get the job done. Perhaps another application will do it. You've done SO much work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful still life with the lilies and shell. And dang, woman, you are a dynamo! Like you, I don't get the two sinks thing. Seems a waste of space to me. I am fascinated by your prefab house search, and look forward to a tour of your ultimate selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ao far we have three contenders but my sister will make the ultimate choice since she will be the one living in it.

      Delete
  9. No library open here. I am going through my old favorites. Maybe it would have been more fun it I had read them in order written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those lilies and your arrangement of them really are pretty. Not so pretty that the danged poison ivy's making a second run at it, but it is a tough one. I ended up with really reduced bathroom counter space when I moved. I don't mind one sink (I am only one person, after all) but I sure could use a few more inches of counter. Ah, well. It's worked so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. photo of the lilies with the painting and the other stuff is just exquisite is all! Protecting the plants from flood is interesting too- you spending that mush time in a car sounds like agony to me but you got the job done, as usual!
    I am not sure I could ever have enough sinks- big ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually I'm trying to protect the slab from flood.

      Delete
  12. I just love the lilies.

    We had two sinks in one bathroom when I grew up so that the kids could brush teeth at the same time and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.