Thursday, May 7, 2020

short stories, volume whatever


I think I'm having hot flashes again. What the fuck is up with that! I can be sitting here doing nothing in my air conditioned house and break out in a sweat. They're not as bad or last as long as they were/did back when I was going through menopause but they are annoying as hell. Just about every night I wake up in a sweat. Just now, sitting here, I broke out in a sweat. It's bad enough sweat rolls off me when I'm working outside. I'd just as soon it didn't when I'm sitting inside. Granted, we keep the thermostat at 78 but still...

----------

The last bit of cool air we will see til fall rolled in Tuesday night. I know I think I've said that before but this time it's really true so sez the weather prognosticators. Am I taking advantage of it and getting something done outside? No, no I am not. Clearing that fence took all my outdoor work ambition for now.

----------

The flowering meadow of the big backyard has been mowed. Plenty of things that escaped the flower beds were still blooming in the yard although declining but so much other spring stuff was done done and it was getting too hard to walk out there it had all gotten so high.

----------

We've had several phone calls from family the last few days. One of our peers is dying. He’s the second. The first being my sister's husband nearly 10 years ago. Now it is my sister-in-law's husband.

It’s beginning”, I said to Marc.

Yes”, he answered, “we’re dying”.

And yet Marc’s mom, Aunt Anna, and Uncle Sid persist. I think my brother-in-law only has days from the looks of it. Dying in the days of covid-19 is a dilemma. What, where, how, and when do you do what you would ordinarily do? And while Jerry is not dying of covid-19 and has his family there with him, how do you go through the rituals when so many who would participate are in the 'at risk' category. We will not be traveling to Dallas but there is a vague plan to somehow do something via FB Live or Zoom maybe.

----------

Making more progress on the house for my sister. In fact I think I've done just about everything I can until we have a house. I got the elevation survey certificate needed for the permit, I got a new address for the future house since you can't have two electric meters at one address, I've picked a septic system provider though I still need to get a copy of the plat of the property (phone call made, it's in the mail). Now all we need is a house and to put it all together. Pam and I are going to risk driving to San Antonio next week (with masks and social distancing and maybe even gloves) to look at houses at the place my daughter bought hers. If infections are going to explode here because our Trump toadie governor is opening the state even more than he already has next week, then we'd rather take the risk now rather than later and time is also a faction. Right now we have plenty of time but if we wait til things have settled (and when will that even be) then we may not be able to get the house ready for her to move into by the end of November.

----------

Progress on the shop room buildout continues but sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Besides the room for working in, Rocky is building new walls for the half bath. Before Harvey, only the toilet was enclosed in a little closet while the sink was not, just there in the back corner room where the water heater had been and we had all that torn out, the toilet, the sink/vanity, and the water heater (don't need hot water over there). So they built walls enclosing the new half bath (and I will be so glad to finally have a toilet over there again so I don't have to run around to pee behind the shop), sheet rock on the inside, beadboard on the outside, two outlets inside for lights (ceiling, wall) and we only need one but no light switch to turn either one on, and while the connections for the water lines were sticking out of the wall, they had sheet rocked over the sink drain pipe. Uh, guys...




15 comments:

  1. Funny, I had a personal summer just sitting in front of the A/c watching MASH last night. What the hell?
    Be careful in SA. CV-19 is rampid. I would say drop by but that isn't an option out here. Someone said that there is a CV-19 case here in town under lockdown but I doubt it. Most likely in the hospital now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah. we're going straight to the business and then straight home. no other stops in SA.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting being the oldest generation. Now it's my sister (ten years younger) and me. It's no different than when my mother and the rest of them were that generation. We all just kept on with our lives.
    Does Pam have a firm idea of what she's looking for in a home and what she intends to spend? I love San Antonio. That's a bit of a drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'd like to be able to stay a day or two to visit with our respective grandchildren but not gonna. The only requirements we're holding to are 900+ sq ft and 2 bedrooms. We have a budget of what Marc and I will spend. she wants to contribute financially but can't til after she sells her house and it depends on how much she gets so we will probably go over our budget initially but she'll reimburse us. septic system is gonna cost $6,800.

      Delete
  3. Could it possibly be that one of the medicines they put you on is causing this sweating situation? I'm pretty sure that one of mine does that.
    It's cool here right now and I am so sad that it's no doubt the last of it until winter. It's been a glorious spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one of the side effects of the thyroid med is intolerance to heat but that's old news. this just started up recently and I've been on one for over a year and the other for nearly a year so I don't know.

      my neighbor told me we actually have one more cool front coming in this weekend but it will definitely be the last.

      Delete
  4. Of course the first thing I thought was, are you running a fever? Damn virus. I had a mini hot flash a few days ago, but that seems to happen to me when the weather starts getting warmer. Even though (or maybe because?) I was cold natured for most of my life, I do NOT tolerate heat very well. I can go from warm to HOT in a blink. And then I'm cranky & Mike is staying out of my way. Ha!

    I love how you're taking care of your sister like this - creating a family compound. It's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does one go about getting an address for a newly-built house? Does the post office assign it? Enquiring minds want to know.

    I have also experienced the death of some of my peers in recent years. It's a bizarre feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the electric company that provides the lines just created a new address for the meter box by adding a 'B' to the address (XXXB) and then created an account for that meter with a 22 digit authorization number. when the house is on the property and an electrician installs a meter box on the house then whatever electric provider that my sister chooses will call the electric company with the authorization number to install the meter. post office says no new mailbox is needed, all mail will be delivered to the existing mailbox for the property.

      Delete
  6. It's interesting how easy it appears to set up all the stuff about housing your sister. Here, we would have endless applications and getting permits would involve having all the adjacent neighbours giving approval etc.
    I envy you the comparatively easy way you can do this. It's a great idea and a wonderful gesture as well.

    As for the hot flashes, keep checking your temperature please. I realise it could be so many things incl. digestion and hormones triggered by the current scenario etc. but better be safe.

    We are two significant persons away from being the oldest generation, my father stubbornly insists he is healthy and will make to 100 at least and my MIL's last surviving sister currently lost in a haze of sleep and tantrums in a Dublin care home beset by covid. She waa born during the Spanish flu and may well die during this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one of the reasons it's so easy is that we are in the county and therefore not subject to city rules and regulations. plus, this is Texas, the no regulations no zoning state. even so manufactured homes are not allowed in the city limits. I simply need an elevation survey to show how high the floor of the house needs to be from the ground (we're in a flood plain), only about 8" in this case, to get a permit for the house and the septic system needs a permit but the installer will get that. there are some requirements for that. tank has to be 50 ft from any well and the spray heads have to be 130 ft from any well and the property has to be at least an acre (we have an acre and a half) which I guess is new since more than half the properties on the street are only a half acre and we are all on septic systems.

      Delete
    2. I think the sweats are because it was so hot out there for days. it's a little cooler now and it doesn't seem to be happening but OK, I'll check my temperature.

      Delete
  7. We're having a cold snap this weekend unfortunately it's not forced to be our last one - we just never know. It is being very dry at the moment though and looks like that may continue at least for a few days more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so cool here last night that I actually put a jacket on. It's darned cool this morning, too, and I intend to shiver if necessary, just so I have a memory to keep me going: at least through June. By July I won't remember this feeling any more. I thought about you this week -- I ended up with some poison ivy. It's a small dose, and isn't particularly itchy, so that's good. Still, it was a good reminder that woods are not prairie, and different evils lurk out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry about the death. Since I am new here, much you talk about is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.