Tuesday, May 5, 2020

stuff that happens in between the doom and gloom posts


I haven't done any art work this whole year besides the little watercolor class and the two colored pencil drawings. Well, there was a bathroom remodel that took two months and then the fence clearing that took the better part of a month and now getting an interior room built in the shop which is progressing in fits and starts. The electrical part got done and now we have discovered that there is a leak in the roofline that runs down the inside of the building. Rocky got up there and found two places and he's going to repair them but had to wait for it to dry out after 5 1/2” of rain with high wind and hail last week. In the meantime he started a roofing job that he finally finished yesterday so I guess work will commence again today. And then there is the taking care of everything that needs to be done to get the manufactured home on the property and set up for living in by the end of November, our target date.

Last Thursday we had a still day, the first one certainly since I started clearing the fence, but for longer than that, so I burned all 7 of those brush piles. 


I ran out of charcoal starter halfway through so my absent neighbor who has been in residence the last several months gave me some diesel fuel from the tanker he's got sitting on his property. The next day I consolidated everything from the edges of the burned spots that didn't get completely burned into one pile plus the last of the dewberry brambles from around the bottom of the tallow. Then I examined the fence line and stuff was already starting to sprout back out including the naked tree trunks which still haven't been cut down. So there is nothing for it but to poison it.

If you know me at all you know this is not something I do. I don't use poison, hate to poison the earth. But I also try to be realistic. Everybody kept telling me that was the only way to control it and now I have accepted that it must be done. And in fact did it on Saturday. My neighbor of the diesel fuel filled his sprayer on wheels, we added a good amount of stump/brush killer (this will kill whatever it touches he said so be careful you only spray what you want to kill, but it won't kill you he added but be sure and shower after), he pumped it up with compressed air and off I went. Two days later nothing looked like it was dying yet.

I finally got all but six of the periwinkles in. I apologized profusely to the still straggly but still putting up a few flowers pansies as I yanked them out of the ground.


And I finished the little levee I was building under the eave and along the side of the slab on the driveway side of the house where the water just pours off the roof in a hard rain gutters be damned. On that side is a low spot where water stands and doesn't drain off so I'm hoping that this will keep it away from the slab. I've taken this picture over and over from different angles trying to show my work but a pile of dirt next to dirt just looks like dirt but that long mound is at least 8” high.


I've seen more butterflies and bees this year already than I did all last year it seems, a few monarchs, swallowtail or two, a crescent, and this question mark.


Other things seen around here:

frogs

   

purple coneflowers


easter lilies (taken before the rain)


lichen on a fallen dead branch


Not even mid-May yet and summer is here. Already hot and sultry out there.




15 comments:

  1. As I said in a reply to a comment of yours on my blog, I'm going to have to poison the poison ivy in the corner of my yard. There is absolutely no other way to get rid of it and it's now growing out over the sidewalk which makes it dangerous to anyone walking by. I hate to do it but...
    Your flowers sure are pretty. And you know- I hate yanking plants like your pansies too but let's face it-there will always be more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your levee! Good job! It does remind me of all the pictures of earthworks we tried to get back in our battlefield touring days. I think I've figured out that the one packet of seeds I planted (the ones that you can actually see) are going to be cornflowers. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what you can do to clean out the yard. David has been keeping the yard and things trimmed up real nice. He goes out in his black shorts, white t-shirt, black knee socks and birkenstocks and tears up the yard. It's so embarrassing to see him outside looking like that. I really have to get a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of you then my friend B. She's given up working in her yard. Her new gardener is killing the gophers while she paints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the Word Periwinkle! We've had more time to work on our Properties than usual, so a lot of people are getting with it in between the doom and gloom, I think it's good for us to be outside in Nature working, to get our Hearts and Minds off of the Pandemic consuming us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. playing in the happy making dirt.

      Delete
  6. And over here I should be covering the hanging baskets tonight, but I have no extra sheets and no newspapers. On their own.
    I'm glad you're still on target for the manufactured home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The camouflage on that black and white frog on the tree is fabulous. Are those little antennae sticking out from its head? I think I finally saw a question mark butterly last weekend, but I still need to do some ID work. Whatever it is, when it landed on a tree and folded its wings, I hardly could see it, even though I knew it was there.

    I may have mentioned and forgot -- over at Armand Bayou, they're been clearing prairie, and they said it takes two years and a reapplication of herbicide to get rid of Chinese tallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one of our small tallows cut down soon after we moved out here to get a little more sun on a flower bed I was making. I didn't use poison, just broke off every sprout as soon as they appeared. took a couple of years I think before it finally gave up.

      and yeah, I think that's what that was on the black and white frog. it was up high and couldn't get a good look but from where I stood that's what it looked like. either that or a piece of debris stuck to its head. and also yes about the question mark, couldn't see it when its wings were up. first one I've seen in years.

      Delete
  8. This poisoning business is horrible. I too am fighting to kill off or dig up roots that just won’t die down so I am resorting to Roundup, nasty stuff which I thought I’d never buy. I am also using dandelion killer on the hard areas, where nothing should be growing. I hate myself for it but I just haven’t got the energy and patience to do it any other way.

    I have a lot of brush to burn but we are not really allowed to have fires, except a night sometimes. Once the dump reopens I might load it all into the boot and take it there in shifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just brought this link over for Ellen, and you might appreciate it, too. There are times when even those responsible for prairie restoration, etc., resort to chemicals, because there simply isn't any other way to do what needs to be done. Judicious application is key -- spraying poison with abandon is badbadbadbad!

      Delete
  9. I have never used Roundup but I totally understand that sometimes it's the only option. (We have used those little pegs that you hammer into tree stumps to kill the tree's roots -- our tree crew put them in when we took down a holly a couple of years ago. So we're not saints!)

    LOVE the frogs. And it's so funny that you have a butterfly called a question mark -- we have one called a comma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read this post and thought of you immediately.The woman who wrote it's involved with the restoration of an urban woodland.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.