Thursday, April 2, 2020

three and a half years later...


You might remember back in 2016, our friend and fellow glass artist was evicted from his studio after 40 years and given 2 months to vacate the premises which included having to move his house that he had had put on the property. He and his partner bought an acre of land on the other side of Houston (much like we did), got his house moved and fixed back up and now Gene is ready to retrieve all the rest of his stuff. He has, over the past few years, come and got this thing or that thing but now his new studio is done; slab poured, metal building erected, wiring done, doors installed, plumbing done. He came Tuesday and loaded up as much stuff as he could and he was back yesterday for another load because he's afraid that Texas is going to get locked down and then he won't be able to get his stuff. We let him borrow our trailer so we loaded that up too. The shop is going to look downright empty.

I finally took the string trimmer and cut away everything around the bluebonnets in front, all the hay grass and clover gone to seed and the cleaver and other stuff and raked into neat piles which I've picked up and trundled off and dumped father in the field behind me because my burn pile is already sky high.

I also worked on the drawing of the amaryllis flower bud and finished it. Next up is a watercolor of the same. Or maybe another drawing, something different.


Or maybe more yard work but over at the shop as we are in the last day/s of what is probably the last cold front. There are about a dozen small trees and in a few cases getting large trees along the fence line that have to be cut down and a large clump of poison ivy which has to go.

OK, so long sleeved shirt, long pants, socks and boots, hat, the only thing exposed was my hands and face and I got down in that deep ditch along the front of the shop and waded through a sea of poison ivy and dewberry brambles with a bucket containing the long handled nippers, a scary and lethal looking machete that a friend loaned me, 


and the stump killer and I think I got all the hackberry trees along the fence line, about two dozen, and squirted the stumps with stump killer. 


We'll see if they come back. Still plenty of trash vines and poison ivy to deal with. The virginia creeper and ironweed has all but smothered the wisteria in the corner, if you can believe something like that is even possible, and it didn't bloom well this year so all that has to be cut back. In fact this part of the property is where we are going to put the house for my sister so the entire fence needs to be cleared. I don't use poisons but I'm afraid that's what it's going to take  to really clear out that ditch and fence. 

Oof. I'm tired now.




10 comments:

  1. Be careful. A week ago Guadalupe county only had 4 cases of COVID-19. Now we have close to 22. So be careful, this virus spreads like wildfire and you may not know you are spreading it. So please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are being as careful as we can. Wharton county now has 8 confirmed cases with only two of those in or around town.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing what a little corona can do to a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy me -- I just read about it and I'm tired. That's one mean looking machete, but I'll bet it's effective. Too bad we can't apply it to the virus. I'm glad you mentioned wisteria. I saw a big, nice one last weekend. I think it was in Dickinson. I need to retrace my steps and see if I can find it. I love the fragrance, and if it's not pouring down rain this weekend, I might even take a photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lord, poison ivy. That is something I would never want to take on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a place right beside the sidewalk out front that is completely taken over by all sorts of nasty invasives including a huge amount of poison ivy. I just don't quite know what to do about it. I don't like poisons either but...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vine on a chain-link fence is about the worst thing in the world to have to clear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone tried a flame thrower? Our neighbors in Issaquah in our highly developed development used to burn the sides of their ditches and berms. Actually, they put their teen aged boy out there to do it.
    I just checked, they're on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did cross my mind. I'd have to be far away though because of the poison ivy which I am allergic to and would not want to breathe any of the smoke.

      Delete
  8. I pulled up a dandelion (sorry!) that was crowding out one of our peonies. And I planted some flower seeds in a planter. So I did, what, 1/100th of the work you did? Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.