Friday, April 17, 2020

more progress and peak spring blooms


Another day, another two hours on the fence. Same story every day.

Tuesday's progress

Pam piled up all the debris cut so far for burning

I have poison ivy on my face and both forearms from the section I did on Tuesday which involved clearing another vigorous growth of that heinous plant even though I scrubbed both forearms and face because I stupidly had my long sleeves pushed up thinking I can see it, I can avoid it. And then the dog kept squeezing through a little tunnel to the fence to bark at the neighbor's dog and of course there was some growing right there so the dog also got scrubbed when I came in. So far it's not too bad but I hate when I get it on my face.

Wednesday, I did my two hours, came in, showered, had 3/4 of a beer with lunch and that was it for me. Down on the couch, I was out. Got up around 5, fed and walked the dog.

Wednesday's progress

I counted fence sections yesterday after I finished...15; four across the front to the corner and 11 between us and the neighbor. I think I'm more than halfway along the side. And I've uncovered five trees between the big tallow and where I stopped, though one is quite dead, and not including the two saplings I hacked down with the machete.

Thursday's progress

the entire 11 sections of the side fence (that power pole on the left is on the corner)

The surveyor came out yesterday to survey for the floodplain to let us know how high the bottom of the house needs to be in order for us to get a permit from the county to get the house on site. So one more step done. I didn't think we would have to build up a pad as this side of the street is higher than the other side where part of my house got 18" of water. The shop only got about 6" which is about how high off the ground the plastic pink ribbon is he nailed to the cedar by the gate. 


I have corresponded with the county and yes we will need to get a new septic system as she checked their records and there is not a permitted system on the property. That's how old the septic system for the shop is. So next is to get someone out there to figure out where to put it and if the house needs to be there first.

Here's something that's not about clearing the fence...the queen anne's lace is in full bloom


as is the northeast corner of the big backyard.


One last picture (I know, they all look the same, the only thing that changes is the position of my neighbor's house). Pam came out early and worked and I got out there about a half hour after she left and between the two of us we cleared two more sections today.




12 comments:

  1. Oh your flowers are just lovely! And the fence is getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Queen Annes's lace is just staarting to fern out. Please be careful with that nast poison ivy. You do not want to end up in the hospital.. I use herbicide as I am violently allergic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a few isolated spots but yes, I'm very careful. and herbicide in on the schedule.

      Delete
  3. Just wonderful -- both the cleared fence and the flowers. I sure related to that little nap you had, though. It looks like we're going to have some rain this weekend, and some nice, warm but not hot days next week. All good. I love Queen Anne's lace -- in fact, I think the buds and seed heads are as cool as the flowers.

    It's a different kind of spring here this afternoon. I'm watching (and listening) to baby wrens, mockingbirds, and sparrows. Such a racket! And I'm watching the mockingbirds plow through dried mealworms as fast as I put them out. I sure am glad I picked some up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the flowers, already! and the lovely lace! already, you are miles ahead! Looks like your yard will have had all of it's work done by middle of next week...ambitious wonder woman, you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you know where you're headed every day for the next week or two. Your flowers are lovely, especially the Queen Anne's lace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, honey! You must have arms like an fifteen-year old boy at this point. I hope with all my heart that the poison ivy doesn't get worse. You could end up in the hospital with that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. between the fence and yoga they're pretty firm! I think the stuff on my face is from the dog even though I scrubbed her too. it's just a few isolated spots but sometimes they itch like crazy.

      Delete
  7. I love the Queen Anne's Lace.

    You're not keeping those trees along the fenceline, right? I'm guessing they'd grow and demolish the fence...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, not keeping the trees but they are too big for me to take out with the machete. I need someone with a chainsaw.

      Delete
  8. I would enjoy the work you're doing, and fortunately I'm not bothered by poison ivy, but I am too bothered by bilateral shoulder pain to even dream of such a task.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it a shock to the eyes to see the neighbors' house? The vegetation has had it hidden for awhile. That looks like too much work for two people.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.