Tuesday, April 7, 2020

miscellania with pictures, mostly


I have poison ivy on my left hand and wrist from the tree removal day last Thursday.


Grandgirls Jade and Robin came out for a visit last Saturday. We bumped elbows and maintained distance. Missing my hugs.

(no picture, it didn't even occur to me to take one)

I worked on my drawing. I don't get time to work on it every day between working on the fence, helping Gene load his stuff, my usual household chores, and our attempts through one platform or another to continue doing our yoga practice together (FB Live wouldn't work half the time so now we're trying Zoom.)


Gene returned yesterday for another truck and trailer load and came back today for the 7 big crates of glass, hundreds and hundreds of pounds of sheet glass and frit, the last of his stuff in our shop. Getting those crates in his truck took three people, the trailer acting as a ramp support, a metal ramp like for getting a riding lawnmower up and in, and a piece of plywood and two other smaller pieces, and a dolly (if the Egyptians could do it so can we he says).

disconnecting the trailer

It rained Saturday (2 ½" Friday and Saturday combined) so I didn't work on the fence but I did on Friday, Sunday, and a half hour yesterday and an hour today. Still have a long way to go and it only gets thicker and denser from here.


I picked a bowl of ripe dewberries (our native wild blackberries) on Sunday.


Coming back from the feed store on Saturday I passed this purple orchid tree. I have one too but it's small and has never bloomed so far.


There's a metal fabrication shop near me and they put a new guardian out.


When I went to the grocery store last week I came back with an eggplant and yellow squash because I'm tired of the same three vegetables he buys. I'm never letting you shop for groceries again, he says. He did cook the squash but I made eggplant parmesan Sunday night. That is one labor intensive dish.



The yard is all bloomy.




13 comments:

  1. I can't believe your dewberries are already ripe. Black berries take until late August in the PNW. I wonder how long it will take Gene to get all of his stuff sorted and put away. That is a lot of glass. Your poison ivy looks painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are really early this year. the poison ivy is mild as these things go so I guess I managed to scrub most of the oil off when I came in.

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky to have dewberries. You poison ivy hand and wrist look just like when my lupus starts up. I get the worst rashes like that on my shoulders, chest and arms. It looks like prickly heat and is ich as hell. Take care, darlin.
    We are now 35 cases of CV-19 in Guadalupe county as of today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that poison ivy stops where it is on your body.
    Our dewberries aren't ready yet. I'd love to get some. Bake a pie.
    Your eggplant parmesan looks amazing. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my hands were the only things exposed and it's already starting to dry up.

      Delete
  5. I suppose your dewberries are our loganberries. What are the blue flowers in the last pictures?
    Hope your poison ivy rash is getting less painful or is it itchy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rocket larkspur, self reseeding. if you let it go to seed that is. the poison ivy is itchy but mild as these things go so I guess I managed to scrub off most the oil when I came in. it's already starting to dry up.

      Delete
  6. Ugh. Poison ivy. That's one thing about the USA that I don't miss!

    Love the dinosaur, and all the verbena and love-in-a-mist in your yard. Our love-in-a-mist barely came up this year. I don't know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everything in the garden is confused here. some things bloomed really early like the mock dogwood which usually bloomed in May but is already done this year.

      Delete
  7. You said you probably would get poison ivy; sorry it happened. It stinks. I've never made eggplant Parmesan; way too labor intensive for me. And I like views of your house through a haze of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was picking dewberries on Galveston Island Sunday afternoon; it tickles me to think of both of us doing that at the same time. I didn't get so many, though -- just a big, fat handful to enjoy. They were amazingly sweet, and warm from the sun? There's nothing better.

    I'm glad the poison ivy wasn't so terribly bad, and I was interested in your mention of mock dogwood. I saw some trees blooming a little west of here that sure looked like dogwood, but I didn't think we have dogwood. Maybe that's what it was. I always meant to stop for a photo, but of course I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yard is lovely! And that dinosaur is just fabulous - I wish I had one in my yard. Or a sheep. Ha! (Speaking of "ha" - so far your drawing is making me crave Cheetos)

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.