Saturday, March 21, 2020

words and pictures


Monday afternoon Rocky worked on the punch list. Tuesday he did the last one or two things and I paid him off and sent him on his way even though the water is still not hooked up to the sink. He was going to call the plumber and get it done that week. Friday I called Rocky...”Bill still hasn't been by?”, he asked. Nope.

Wednesday I sealed the glass tile, the marble flower tile, and the travertine pencil tile and repainted the door with semi-gloss paint, and taped off the stained molding around the door, the water heater/hamper closet, and the window.

Thursday I repainted the closet doors (two, one on top of the other), painted the jambs and the window sill which seem to have gotten overlooked, and put a second coat on all three doors, removed the paper that had been taped down to protect the floor in the kitchen, vacuumed the foam mats in the hall that were protecting the floor and put them back in the garage, swept the hall and part of the kitchen and my studio room through which all traffic moves, and washed the dishes.

Yesterday I hung the door and reattached the closet doors, vacuumed out the insides of the cabinets, put the shelves back in with much cursing (I really hate those metal clips) and got all the stuff put back in, put my personal stuff in my drawer (not filling the vanity till the water gets connected to the sink), swept the floor, cleaned off my big work table which had become the staging area for all the work being done, swept the floor in my studio, swept the path in the garage to the door of all the leaves and sawdust and sheetrock dust, and vacuumed the upper house. Oof. I was tired last night.

I still need to put the tension bar back with the shower curtain, currently a plain white liner, that I'm going to replace with a clear liner. After all this expense and effort I want to be able to see that tile. Still need to get a soap dish to attach and a towel/grab bar which we should have planned for when setting the wall tile but didn't. But for all (except for the sink) intents and purposes, the bathroom is finished.

before (click to embiggen):

     
     

 after:

     
    
    

We had our little art show from the watercolor classes Friday the 13th.

the woman on the left is the instructor


I liked it better before I painted in the water because now I don't think the lily pads are dark enough though I'm happy with the way the water looks. But I was in the class to learn techniques and so I painted in the water, reminding myself of what I would tell my students back when we were teaching, that I was there to learn a technique, not create a masterpiece.

My painting did get a lot of attention though and the director of Hesed House told me when I came to pick up my painting later that they should have had a viewer's choice award, that I would surely have won it. I'm glad they didn't though because it wouldn't have been fair seeing as how I've been a professional artist for 40+ years even if I haven't ever done any watercolors.

Well, winter has returned for probably the last time this season bringing some much needed rain and considering all my activity this past week, I'm planning on vegging out with my book today. After I vacuum the rest of the house and empty the dishwasher of course.



13 comments:

  1. Very nice. The bathroom looks so much better.
    You are truly an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bathroom is lovely. Worth all the sturm und drang! And so good to see you.

    After reading your activity, I felt tired myself! Yes, veg out a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, Ellen. I've watered the porch plants and swept and mopped the kitchen today and I'm exhausted. Please send me some of your energy.
    Love the bathroom. I know it must make you so happy to walk in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it all looks gorgeous, bathroom and paintwork. And as usual, you have me out of breath from just reading about all your activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bathroom should kiss you on the lips for all the work and wait you've put into it. So is this coming Friday the day for plumbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I hope it will be Monday. I'm not sure I like the white doors but I guess I'll get used to it. especially when out towels go back on the elephant hooks.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to finally see your finished water lily painting! I think the water looks great, actually. Are you going to hang it up in your house?

    And YAY to the bathroom being done! I am so impressed at your energy levels. I bought some stuff to refinish our patio furniture and I am dreading even starting that comparatively small task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, probably. may take me a while to get a frame.

      Delete
  7. The remodeled bathroom looks lovely. I know you must be so happy to have it done. I especially like the tile surrounding the bathtub/shower. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I think your painting is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bathroom looks great! And I love the watercolor. Seeing a glimpse of the other work in your pictures I can see why people were so taken with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed with your DIY ability!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obviously, I'm way behind on reading, and I missed this one. The bath looks splendid -- I really, really like it. I'd be wanting to take two showers a day, just to go in and enjoy it.

    Your lily is beautiful, too. I found the first ones I've seen this spring on 227 just before Bastrop Bayou last weekend. They were white, not pink, but they still were fun to see.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.