Monday, January 14, 2019

rain chains and yard work


I bought my sister and myself decorative rain chains for the valleys in our roof lines and then discovered that rain chains are an alternative to downspouts for gutters. Well, shucky darn. I got rid of my gutters and the one I had replaced already has downspouts. An internet search showed a way to use them nevertheless by first hanging a bucket with a hole in the bottom to catch the stream of water that pours off the valley and then hanging the chain under the bucket. 


Not very aesthetically pleasing but functional. My first foray out to find a galvanized (or copper) bucket on Friday wasn't all that successful, too big or too small. I bought an empty (not galvanized) paint can instead which was about the right size but even less aesthetically pleasing. I'll use it until I can find something I like better. Or not. I'm thinking not.

Saturday was another day of beautiful spring weather and another day spent out in the yard. I pulled up hand fulls of certain of the weeds and did my hand full of clover for the day amongst the bluebonnets growing out front and did more weeding in the front flower bed. My neighbor Gary made the mistake of saying he wouldn't mind his whole back yard being flowers so I dug up some of the woodland painted petal that spreads easily and some of the orange cosmos seedlings that also spread readily that are coming up plus the baby maple tree, a flowering senna, and a confederate rose, volunteers that I had potted up last year, in addition to the poppy and love-in-a-mist seedlings and oxblood lily bulbs I had already taken him.

the aforementioned magenta petunias he gave me some of

Yesterday, even though it was a beautiful blue sky day, was colder and windy so I satisfied myself with pulling up some of the weeds out of the yard and clover from amongst the bluebonnets and while I told myself I should get out there and dig up more of the mexican petunias, I decided to sit on the couch and read the rest of the day, well, after I took the dog for her walk where I often see hawks perched on the wires scanning the field for dinner. They're hard to get a picture of. I tried to be sly with this one but it wasn't fooled.


Our current pecan pie. This one made with honey instead of corn syrup. The previous pie used canned pumpkin in place of some of the corn syrup. That was weird. The first night you could really taste the pumpkin but it was better the second night.


It's turned cold again and though it is mostly sunny, I think I'll work on art today...inside.




13 comments:

  1. Spring there? Weather here is like another planet from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecan pie with honey? OMG. We are far, far from spring, but it is nice to know that the rest of the world is not covered in crusty, icy, white stuff with Arctic winds whipping through. So. Much. Fun. Heck, I'd be your neighbor if for nothing else but the free flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we shouldn't be having spring, it's far too early, and so far it's just the weedy wildflowers blooming. we're back to winter for a few days and next weekend it's supposed to get down to freezing temps. but yeah, no ice.

      Delete
  3. I can see so many hawks, falcons, owls perched on the wires, scanning, scanning, scanning. I point them out to Laura. I hope she remembers and points them out to passengers in her cars.
    I think rain chains are brilliant. My Texas cousins actually have a set up very close to yours, starting with a big pail that drips into the chain containers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful days you are having and I'm glad you've been able to get outside and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few rain chains and love how they look. You did a wonderful job with your innovation. I don’t think you have to change anything.

    How fortunate you are to have flowers in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this isn't mine, just a picture from the internet on how I will have to do it. have to find a proper bucket first.

      Delete
  6. The cosmos here reseed themselves and get about 5 feet tall. I am ready to see something other than white snow ….

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pecan pie! The goopier the better for me, so honey would be ok, but not pumpkin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. those hawks always catch your look and think they are prey getting out of the frame fast. I shoot lots for a few.offer me spirit when watching their intense wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No yardwork this coming weekend, I think. It sounds like we're finally going to get some real winter. Sometime you might like to try my recipe for pecan pie. It's a French custard type of filling -- just eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Nothing gooey about it at all. Well, except maybe your arteries if you eat too much of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, no yard work this weekend. I don't mind a quick dip down to freezing but in the 20˚s means I have to cover the ponytail palm and a few other things. I'll pass the pie recipe on to the pie maker.

      Delete
  10. Your neighbor is lucky that you like to spread those flowers around!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.