Friday, January 18, 2019

from the WTF Department and other miscellaneous goings on


Well, that was fun. Last week I was accused by my neighbor, the one of container fame, of taking her tomato cages, her concrete blocks, and her bricks. I told her she was mistaken and the cages, bricks, and mortar blocks she saw on my property were mine.

She also complained about me writing about her and her family. I have only referred to her as 'my neighbor' the one or two times I've mentioned her and have never mentioned her family. I didn't argue with her, just said OK, as I was a little dumbfounded and I just wanted to go back to what I was doing. I stormed around here for the next two days though working it out of my system.

Very foggy this morning and I'm happy to see the forecast has been revised to a light freeze instead of a hard freeze when the front comes barreling in tomorrow so I shouldn't have to cover anything. 


Walking the dog yesterday I noticed that not only is the maple tree blooming but the sycamores at the other end of the street are also coming out. And there was a big flock of birds in the hackberry in my other neighbor's yard and the birds were flitting back and forth from it to the small tree full of red berries that they were devouring. 



Being underneath I could only see their yellowish undersides but one or two glimpses make me think they were cedar waxwings as I caught sight of a crest or two and I know they migrate through here as I've seen them before. I've been trying to get a picture of the goldfinches when they visit the bird feeder but they are too shy and too fast. Just now the big bird feeder is being mobbed by sparrows and the cardinals and chickadees have been coming to the teacup. I hear the titmice in the trees but don't see them.

I never made it to yoga Wednesday evening as early in the day there was a fatality accident on the northbound lanes of 59 between here and El Campo that completely blocked the freeway when a car going south bound crossed the median and hit or got hit by an 18 wheeler. 

image via Wharton County Office Of Emergency Management's FB page

By mid-afternoon both sides of 59 were completely closed and traffic was backed up 24 miles according to my neighbor Leonard and the lanes weren't cleared until after class time.

Well, I know I've said this every day this week so far but today I am going to work with the modeling glass some more. I have a new batch of samples I want to make plus two more feathers and a hibiscus flower I want to try, now that it's warmed up and my blood is moving faster than sludge.





13 comments:

  1. Oh, what could possibly be more fun than crazy neighbors? I have neighbors to one side of me that have had a Trump/Pence sign up since 2016 which is nothing compared to the He Is Risen sign which has been there for eons. Every Easter it's appropriate again! Still, they are sweet neighbors but I refuse to become friends with them on FB as no doubt trouble would ensue. My husband is (he's so polite) and says that her feed is mostly concerned with asking for prayers for various people who are facing challenges.
    Watch out- people like your neighbor will call the damn police to report that you have been stealing her tomato cages and cement blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfriended her on FB as I figured the less exposure she had to me the better. even so, I'm not sharing this post there. if she sees it anyway and gets pissed, well then, she shouldn't have been so quick to accuse me of helping myself to her stuff. I imagine her son has the missing cages as I saw him drive off with a truck load sometime last year. fortunately she doesn't come around all that often.

      Delete
  2. My long and laborious comment just blew up. I think it left with the tomato cages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually stood under a tree full of birds and looked up? You are an amazingly fearless woman. I wish we would get cedar waxwings - I'm being mobbed by mourning doves right now and, as much as I like them, it's like being invaded by victims of body snatchers - they are as thick as a log, in the intellect department. Your best defense, with a neighbor like that, is 100 percent avoidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably replace 'fearless' with 'stupid'. and yeah, those mourning doves...D U M B.

      Delete
  4. You did the best thing in explaining why she was mistaken and then walk away. No good would have come from a worst argument.

    We have robins in our front yard today. It has been in the 40’s and they must be confused. Tomorrow will be snow and freezing rain followed by temperatures near zero. They are in for a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's strange neighbours around the world. Many many years ago I found a voodoo doll with my name on it on the back door step - and still hope it was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's out in public you can take photos of it.

      Delete
  7. What an unpleasant encounter with your neighbor. You showed great patience with her false accusations, but as Ms Moon says, she bears watching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not going to say anything about your neighbor so as not to exacerbate the situation! :) Except that hopefully she'll figure out what really happened to her cages/bricks at some point and then all will be clear.

    I thought those were cedar waxwings! They used to invade our holly bush in Florida every year and strip it bare.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.