Thursday, March 1, 2018

definitely spring and progress


Lots of banging and sawing going on yesterday and today as Rocky and Gunner and Fred work on the back bedroom. Tuesday the entire back wall of the bedroom was taken out 


while they reframed it to accommodate the etched glass, not an easy task as the spacing between panels and the height placements are crucial to ensuring that the design on the panels line up correctly, and yesterday they worked on building the window casements while Gunner put in the insulation and started on the bead board. The last two nights the only thing between the inside and the outside was a tarp. 


Good thing I live in the country I told Rocky. He asked me if I wanted him to bring me his shotgun. Nah, I'll just put you on speed dial...Rocky, somebody's in the house...and you can come take care of it.

Window casements in today.


Yesterday I decided that we weren't really going to have spring, that two or three weeks of mild temperatures, clear blue skies, and no humidity, instead jumping straight to early summer but this morning it's cooler, dryer, and a clear blue sky. In other words, a beautiful spring day! Supposed to be like this for the next 10 days or so but with 4 straight days of rain right smack dab in the middle. The red bud trees around town are coming into full bloom, 


bluebonnets coming on, 


fringe flower in bloom, 


climbing rose blooming profusely, 



ornamental pear or plum trees in full bloom. 



I started digging up the mexican petunias. I do love them but the little bastards are so invasive and they are crowding out other things I want where they are so they are getting moved to the back of the property where they can spread out to their heart's content.

It's been a quiet week so far, well other than all the banging and sawing, since I can't really leave for any great length of time. No visiting friends or looking at sinks or tile. And the kitchen floor is still not installed. Got a call early Tuesday morning, their installer woke up throwing up sick. Since they haven't called back to reschedule, I gather the poor guy has the flu and not just a 24 hour virus. Ah well.

End of day, windows are framed out and the wall is closed in. Rocky can sleep easy tonight.





8 comments:

  1. It all looks so green and flowery around you. Unlike the two inches of accumulating snow our all day rain turned into. It all could have been snow, Joanne.
    I am so glad hammers keep swinging at your place, and also that the installer kept his germs at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pull up every Mexican petunia I find on my property. The former owners planted them. Not me. I know a woman who broke her arm trying to pull those GD things.
    Are those Bradford Pears? Looks like they may be. We have some in our yard and I keep trying to get Mr. Moon to cut them down and build a pool there. He does want to cut them down but he doesn't really want to build a pool. Darn him.
    One of these days, Ellen, you and I both will be done with construction. I hope I live long enough to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. considering Mr. Moon is planning on building a house I see lots of construction in your future.
      no, not Bradford pears, these trees are shaped differently, more spread out. I don't really care for Bradford pear trees, the shape of them. too round. an in ground pool? those things are high maintenance. you might consider an above ground pool, easy to put up. We have one, 10' or 12' diameter with a pump and filter.
      I know, I'll be digging those things up for years out of that flower bed.

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to remember if we have redbud trees around here. We did in Ohio. If we do have any, they're not blooming yet. Can't wait to see the finished wall with glass in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the installation started, you have a lot going on. Love your blooms, I went to a small botanical center the other day to see a few, indoors. They were just completing an orchid show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to see the renewal of spring along side the renewal of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of activity! I can't wait to see what it looks like when the windows are in. I saw blooming redbuds when I was in Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Progress! And spring....ah, I remember spring. We are waiting for another foot or more of the white stuff tomorrow. Enjoy your blue skies~

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.