Monday, July 3, 2017

finally back to model making


Now that it's in the 90s and humid outside and I've finished writing up the posts about our trip, I'm back to model making, carving some new waxes. Right now I'm working on the Drowned Feather series. I had already, early last spring, finished the model for DF #1


and started on the model for #2. So now I have finished the wax carving for DF #2


and I've started on the third one. These are all 10” x 10” but only about a 1/2” thick finished. Here, I'm about halfway through the second layer. After I get all the rocks on and rounded I'll add the feather.


There will be four panels in all and I hope to sell them as a piece. The fourth panel will have a drowned fern leaf instead of a feather. They are very similar in shape and structure.

I also finished this piece last spring, the full moon with branches going across. This one is 8" x 8" and will be cast in black and a transparent golden color for the moon that I hope will transmit a bit of light in the finished piece. We'll see.





15 comments:

  1. Whoa! I love these! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you're back to creating. I look forward to seeing the final pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. an interesting idea, nice to see you back a bit with this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the models. Will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh that looks so satisfying, the wax part must be the most fun of the entire process. Splendid work, Ms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love watching your work grow and develop. Do you "add" material to create the feather? How do you get the extra depth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in layers. I started with a slab 1/4"+/- thick. I decided on two layers of rocks so the first layer includes all the rocks and is cut out of wax sheets that I make that are 1/8"+/- thick but I only shaped the bottom layer of rocks. next I cut out the shapes for the top layer of rocks and added them on top of the first layer and then shaped them. finally I cut the feather shape out of another wax sheet and will (am) lay it on top pressing it down and then refine it and add the details.

      Delete
  7. They look great! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love that moon! Looks like one of Mike's pictures (which as you know are my favorite of his moon shots).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it just so happens that is one of Mike's pictures.

      Delete
  9. Amazing! I'm so impressed that you can look at the moon, or a feather in water, and see these pieces in your mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I'm not actually that fabulous. These pieces, including the one moon piece, I'm working from photographs that either I or someone else took. and the drowned feathers had their genesis in a trip I took to the Oregon coast about 3 years ago so sometimes I'm a slow processor. it's sort of a different direction for me too.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.