Friday, January 13, 2017

filling molds


I've spent the last three days over at the shop. Marc got the molds made so it took a day to clean them up and do the volume measures and pick colors and get it all out and to hand and set up and ready to fill them. Yesterday I filled the hibiscus flower mold and today the bird mold. They took about 5 hours each to fill. The fussy bits like the bee and the bird's markings take the longest. The rest is just weighing, mixing, and spooning while paying attention to keeping the edges sharp and the frit evenly distributed. It's not as easy as it sounds or quick. Nothing about this process is easy or quick. Unless I just cast in one solid color. Which is something I've been thinking about. More and more people who comment on my waxes suggest casting in black or even the wax color. I think that if I'm going to do that, I would have to make a rubber reproduction mold to hedge my bet, something I don't do now.



I'm particularly interested in seeing how the bird panel comes out as it is sort of new. The face has a lot of markings that are already covered up by the next layer of glass particles in the picture, plus I used more powder than I generally do albeit mixed with fine frit. I hope the markings are somewhat distinct but they could come out just mashed together.


I'm tired. It's a very focused activity plus I'm standing on a rubber mat on a concrete floor, my constant companion at my feet. I'll get the last one done tomorrow. Ordinarily, I would be working at the store but tomorrow is the Fort Bend County Master Gardener's tree sale and my sister and I are going to try and get a fruit tree. Apparently it's a mob scene. We've been advised to get there at opening and know what kind of fruit tree I want. If I browse, I'm likely to get nothing or certainly not my first or second choice.




12 comments:

  1. You. Are. An. Artist. You have no idea how much I admire your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, thanks Mary, but if an artist is someone who indulges in social commentary in their work, that's not me. but I do know how to make pretty things.

      Delete
  2. Your art process always amazes me, really love your work! Intriguing and gorgeous and looks very difficult- no instant gratification- you are a patient woman! Hope you get the tree of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you were warm working out there. I'd be looking for Italian Plum. Wonder what you've come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's quite warm as we are having spring weather again. even when it's cold, if the sun is shining, that metal building heats up fast.

      Delete
  4. Like to see how you fill your molds.I am getting some Blue Damson plums this year, they make the best jams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well then, best wishes on everything. I was imagining you sitting to fill the molds, until you divulged the horrible truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fun. I'd go for a cherry or apricot tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really enjoyed reading your latest posts, and am fascinated by your art process and how lovely your designs are. The layering process looks like fun, but I'm sure it can be stressful getting it right. You must have such steady hands. And sore feet.
    Sorry about all your garden freeze damage, it always pains me to lose a plant. Best of luck at the tree sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get a good tree!! I am so thankful for all my fruit trees. I would like to have a few pecan trees, but since we don't plan to live here forever .....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pretty! Can't wait to see how they turn out (which I might see in the next post? I shall have to click & see!).

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.