Tuesday, January 10, 2017

damage of one kind or another


Remember Sunday when it was below freezing when I got up? This morning, Tuesday, was 64˚, supposed to get up to 75˚ today. Wandering around yesterday and today, the damage is extensive. Everything I brought in and protected is fine but the yard is a loss. Even the grass turned mostly brown though it will recover quickly. I had some bromeliads in the ground that I meant to dig up and never did that weren't in the least affected but the little cactus that was growing so nicely and putting out pups is soggy as are the other succulents and aloes that it never occurred to me to bring in.


Even the century plant is looking soft and droopy.


The mexican petunias are toast but I was planning on cutting them back to the ground this spring anyway


and it didn't occur to me to protect the gardenias either


or the walking iris. I think everything will recover except maybe the gardenias. They look pretty dead.

One thing the cold weather did was keep me inside and working on models. I finished the bird panel and another little one, sort of a Green Wo/Man (4.5" x 4.5"), and they are all set up and ready for the casting molds to be made.


It's also kept me off FB mostly and unsucked mostly into the looming disaster that our political system has become. The hypocrisy being exhibited by the Republican Congress is just mind boggling. The rules they imposed on the Democrats when Obama was elected now seem unnecessary and Mitch McConnell, the man who spent 8 years doing nothing but obstructing Obama and the Democratic agenda is shocked, shocked I tell you, that the Democrats now plan to obstruct him and his agenda. Unfuckingbelievable. First they try to get rid of the congressional ethics oversight commission in a middle of the night vote and then they decide that vetting Trump's cabinet picks before confirmation hearings is totally unnecessary. Apparently, rules don't apply to them. The Republican Party has become a complete joke, like a clown, except that it's just not funny and clowns are scary.




10 comments:

  1. Actually, I always found clowns to be scary, and there isn't a clown scarier than Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you keep productive and I think your gardenias will come back from the ground up. It will be 70 here today and freezing rain and ice this weekend. I dread it worse than I dread the next four years. I think the political system that we've known is gone. The new, younger generation is going to change everything and sadly, the wonderful young ones that are the cream of the crop, are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. frightening -what is going on in the USA at the moment, though we live in a small liberal well educated bubble up here in the north, everyone feels gas lighted. Your garden may snap back , seems to happen to ours every year. Poor plants tricked into blooming and then BAM a freeze! Your garden seems large, you will have some work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also desolate about how this new administration is slowly and methodically taking away the rights and social supports of its citizens. I think I am even more shocked than the Trump voter who claimed he did not care that they repealed Obamacare because he was on the ACA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You garden recovery is a sure thing. The rest is iffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't even uncovered my plants yet except for the mango. It looks to have survived. Maybe later this afternoon. But I believe I will take a nap before that. I am feeling lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope that your plants come back. This year, because of lack of help, I left the tropical hibiscus plants outside. I have had one for many years and have had it winter in my basement and they have survived my neglect. However, because there was so much going on in October, I decided to give them back to Mother Nature. I am Ok with it.

    It is important that we call our congressmen/women every day and beg them to be brave and stand up for America, not the PE, when confirming these poorly chosen cabinet members. Last week congress was flooded with calls when they tried to get rid of the ethics board but the people stopped them (and showed them for what they are). A phone call takes little time and possibly will make a difference. Remember that Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. You can get your reps and senators phone #s on line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Green Wo/Man - cool! I'm trying to concentrate on my own personal drama which I have some control over...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you said, I bet pretty much everything will survive. Even the gardenias may come up from the roots if the wood is, in fact, dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a warm 33 here.I went to the y and then did my walk outside

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.