Monday, January 12, 2015

easy come, easy go


I have lost my diamond studs. I'm pretty sure they got washed away in the washing machine. They are not in any of the places I would have put them. Granted, there were a lot of places but I checked them all. Plus, I seem to think I put them in my pants pocket before I went to work at the antique store on a Monday, which is weird because I hadn't been wearing them and I had selected a different pair of dangly earrings to wear that day and did in fact wear them though I didn't get them in until I got to the store. I can't imagine what I thought I was going to need the diamond studs for. And I never rarely put my earrings in my pocket. I usually put them in the small zippered bag I use as a wallet. Anyway, I didn't think about the studs until the following Wednesday morning when I wanted them again. And then I remembered that Marc had done the wash the previous day.


They were nice but I won't try to replace them. I liked them because they reminded me of a woman who had a beach house across the canal from us back in the day. Her name was Jean and she and her husband were very wealthy ranchers from the Valley if I recall correctly. She wore diamond studs that were easily three times bigger than mine and she also wore a big honkin' diamond ring and she was loud and smoked and drank and cussed like a sailor and didn't give a hoot what other people thought of her. She was very impressive.

My mother liked her because, I think, she wished she had the courage to be like Jean but Mother was a doctor's wife and doctors' wives did not act like that. My parents were very socially conscious and every time I got in trouble they would trot out the ole 'what will our friends and colleagues think' as if to shame me but I, like Jean, didn't give a hoot what other people thought of me or my parents.

Well, now I have to find some new every day studs. I used to wear three different studs. In one ear a yin/yang and in the other ear with two holes a pearl stud and a smaller diamond stud to represent the moon and the morning star. When I inherited the big diamond studs, I put the little yin/yang in the second hole and gave my daughter the pearl studs.

Right now I'm wearing ones my grandgirl Autumn made this summer.




18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you lost your diamond studs.
    I love it when you talk about Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for a change, sad to lose something that you usually keep better track of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. I lost one of the studs my husband gave me but found it months later in the closet floor, it must have fallen out and I never noticed. I also lost last year my favorite silver and onyx studs, I wore them all the time and for the life of me I don't know where they went. Vanished. It's a mystery. I hope somehow your's miraculously show up though, and I liked the story of Jean. She sounds like my aunt Joyce!
    Hope you don't lose anything else you care about this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom gave me her diamond studs right before she died (her excuse was they were too big for her ears - but she knew she was dying. They were tiny.). I lost one of them when we moved. I keep thinking about getting a second hole in one ear so I can wear the remaining one, but it has a REALLY long post & I'm afraid it would just bug me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty sure they'll show up where you least expect to see them, though, it's always sad to lose such beautifully sentimental things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll find them. Some time from now, you'll be posting that they've resurfaced. Things like this so often do. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you lost your diamonds. Your attitude is great, however. I borrowed some ear rings from a friend for a very fancy evening years ago. They hurt like hell so I slipped them into my pocket, or so I thought. Next morning they could not be found. I searched high and low , in and out...they were simply ...GONE! I bought a new expensive pair for my friend and gave them with appologies ( and regrets). a year later I was getting my hair cut, mentioned my regret to hair person, her eyes closed and she said, they are in your coat pocket,maybe the lining...When I got home I checked and yes indeed there they were, in the lining, having escaped through a hole in my pocket. I returned them to my friend, so now she has two pair of very fancy ear rings which she will never wear again because she has become a buddhist nun. So it goes. Borrowing is never a good idea. And I do think that Jean rubbed off on you a little bit...in the best of all possible ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife has a lot of diamond studs and no girl to leave them to. A different problem than yours. Maybe I should break down and get my ear pierced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost never wear earrings since my hair covers my ears. I think I'm the only woman that doesn't like diamonds. Sapphires are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new baby, who will be eleven this week, once whipped her hand across her mother's face and the diamond stud went flying. I'd given them to Beth, who called me, hysterical. They had moved all the furniture, looked in the cushions, even vacuumed. I said not to worry; it would turn up. It never has.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sad event. Not only because they were valuable, but also they have a memory for you. My jewelry is mostly costume. Hubby never bought me anything too fancy as he thought spending money on that was not smart. I have purchased for myself some few pieces, but nothing that carries any sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you find them! Maybe they're at the antique store? They might turn up.

    Jean sounds like a character!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure do hope they turn up. not fun that feeling of loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post. I know, I know... you lost something you liked... (so sorry about that), but your storytelling voice is so wonderful that I get lost in the beauty of it. I can see and hear Jean, her raspy tone and daring living--and I like her, too. What a woman. And so are for liking regardless of what anyone thought.

    You don't have your diamonds, but you are showing off your grandchild's love-made bling. And you'll always Have your memories of Jean! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post had me reaching for my ear lobes, checking that my earrings were still there. I have small diamond studs that I wear a lot too - better to enjoy them than keep them stowed away somewhere worried that something might happen to them. It might be too late, but I thought I'd mention that my washing machine has a trap in it and sometimes catches things that go through the wash. Please let us know if they turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw your Facebook announcement. I knew you'd find them. And I'm so glad that you did.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.