Friday, May 28, 2010

update


Well, my daughter, Sarah, is home. She was in surgery for a long time. It was very gnarly in there. The fetus was one day shy of nine weeks, had absorbed her fallopian tube and was attacking her colon (she was telling everyone the baby ate her fallopian tube). Blood had pooled all around her uterus. It was really a mess. The surgeon made three incisions to clean her out and to have a good look around to make sure he got everything out. Her colon had three black spots on it where the fetus was trying to feed ans her recovery is going to be prolonged. If the bad spots (necrotic tissue) don't heal up by themselves and continue to spread then he will have to go back in and do some serious work cutting out the bad part. The doctor and staff was surprised she was still alive, had not seen one this bad for many years if ever. Her prognosis is good but she's not completely out of the woods yet. They let her come home on Wednesday.

So Wednesday morning I got early to go get my BIL's truck which they were letting me borrow so Marc would not be stranded without a truck (still working on the shop building) and so I could bring back all four kids since it had a crew cab which ours does not. Also, our truck was going in that morning to have a part replaced on the air conditioner so we dropped it off on the way back. When I was ready to leave, I took Marc back to the dealership and took off, stopping for gas on the way out. Got out, gassed up the truck, got back in, put in the key and it wouldn't turn, wouldn't let me shift the gear. Great, this is all I need and I was anxious to get to the hospital. So I called my BIL and he came up to where I was and started messing around under the hood. Right about that time I realized I had probably just used the wrong key. My truck key fit all the way in the ignition but, of course, would not turn it. Stupido stupido. Tried the right key, the truck started right up and I was finally on my way.

She was pretty cheerful, ready to go home so when they brought in her discharge papers I brought her home. She said everyone was so solicitous at the hospital. She was in the maternity ward and they were all concerned that she would be depressed about 'losing' the baby.

Yesterday was the last day of school so when the kids got home I gathered them all up and brought them back home out here at the country house with me. We will have them through Sunday and maybe til next Wednesday. Her check-up is next Tuesday and then she will have a better idea about her recovery. The doctor is not giving her any time frame yet.

So with all four kids here and me behind on my job and the shop getting put up on Sunday, I may not have much time to visit around blogland. I'll never get caught up with all your doings (and doubt I will be commenting much when I do get some time to read) so I'll just meet you all downstream when I have the time to check in.

I won't have time to respond to each and everyone of you individually but thank you all for all your wonderful support, prayers, good energy and light.


25 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Sarah is on the road to recovery, what a frightening experience. Sending peace and strength hers, and your, way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts and prayers you way Ellen - Glad to see that Sarah is home and I am sure she will get a good report and they won't have anyone more surgery to do.

    Sounds like a handsfull kind of week, but I know you can handle it [and them! :D] The key thing is understandable - I am sure your head/thoughts are in other places right now - so no worries.

    Have fun with the kids - it will all be fine, I betcha'.

    Take care. Big hugs! ~SkippyMom~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll stand by and keep sending your daughter, you and the entire family more of that "support, prayers, good energy and light".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am totally skippable this week - so you just concentrate on what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! That's not an easy thing to go through, and worry over. You'll have your hands full for a while. Best wishes to your daughter for an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my ... I so hope she will heal and not need another surgery. I'm glad they got to her in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey--y'all take care. Nothing much going on anyway this week. Thank god you can be there for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear everything is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such hectic times for you and your family, Ellen. And what an ordeal for Sarah--I'm so glad she's home and in good spirits.

    You will all be in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ellen

    what a week for you. I hope this next one improves as does your daughter.

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am glad Sarah is on her way to recovery. Sending prayers!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ellen,

    My, what a close call. Hope her recovery proceeds without any complications. Take care of yourself too - what a worry for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Healing thoughts, enjoy those grandbabies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There will be time enough to read blogs later on. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is so cheerful about her recovery - that always helps.

    As for you, you were NOT "stupido." I'm sure you were quite worried so might not have had the presence of mind to choose the correct key.

    Sending healing energy and love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful news. Glad to hear your daughter is patched up and on the mend. Blessings and peace to all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just keep your head above water- take care! what an unwelcomed experience! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. my goodness ellen...
    It is good to hear that Sarah is home and healing. She's made of strong stuff.
    And I have done that same thing with the car keys before.
    Also with the house keys,( on the doorknob) but that was a little more of a big deal as the house key
    got stuck and required me to call a locksmith!

    Prayers of wisdom, grace and strength

    Peace ~ Rene

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my. Oh my. It's a horror movie. Sometimes your "intuition"--the one you said you didn't listen to--is really just our tendency to imagine the worst, and we rightly dismiss it as our own anxiety over those we love. It's probably not right all of the time after all. I sure wish that had been the case this time, but I think you reacted naturally and it will all turn out well enough, especially with your fine care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear that she's coming home. She sounds tough stuff though, so I hope she emerges unscathed. Thanks for the update, you sound like you've got way better stuff to do - but take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like she was in good hands in in good company through her ordeal. Frightening indeed. All my wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for her!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope your daughter continues to recover and that you manage to get through this tough time without too much heartache and strain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Ellen~ I am so sorry your daughter has had to go through this. How frightening! Thank God she did so well through surgery and is on the mend. I pray she will continue to heal & not need addition surgery or have any complications. Glad you wen to the summer house, I hope you get some R & R and enjoy this weekend. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad that the road to recovery has started... some scary stuff has been going on for you all. Lots of wishes coming your way from me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm happy to know that she's on the mend and will continue to keep her in my best thoughts. Look after your own self and take whatever time you need. You know we'll all be here when you're less pressed for time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry about your daughter's loss, but am so glad that she is going to be alright. What a scary experience! Sending wishes for a speedy recovery! Prayers and hugs, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.