Tuesday, May 25, 2010

some scary stuff


My daughter is being prepped for emergency surgery.

A week ago last Friday she called to tell me that she had been having some serious episodes of sharp pain in her abdomen that left her nauseous and sweating. In between her stomach just plain hurt. Two on Thursday, one on Friday. Saturday no sharp episodes but continued dull ache in her intestinal region. We sort of went over all the things that could be happening but she did not have a fever and was not nauseous except when the pain was intense, was not constipated, did not have diarrhea, no vaginal bleeding.

The first thing I thought was appendicitis but no fever, no nausea. Ectopic pregnancy jumped in my mind and I mentioned it but she has an IUD so neither of us gave it much thought. She didn't mention being late for her period, thought she was due to start soon. No more sharp pains on Sunday just general continued abdominal pain. She went to see her doctor on Monday who said she had blood in her urine and decided she had a bladder infection and gave her a round of antibiotics which did no good what so ever. She still wasn't having the prolonged episodes of sharp pain during last week, just an occasional one. When I saw her on Sunday she didn't look very good and held her belly on the right side almost continually. She was going to call her doctor on Monday.

She called me this morning, said she had had another attack, that she couldn't get hold of her doctor the day before and she couldn't take this any longer and was going to the hospital. Said she would call me in a couple of hours to let me know what was going on.

Well, when I hadn't heard after several hours, I called her husband who had just gotten off the phone with her. He was at home with the kids. Her cell phone didn't work there in the hospital and she had called him using a land line. She does, after all, have an ectopic pregnancy.

I just talked to my SIL. He had received word from her best friend who is there at the hospital with her. He called to tell me that she is being prepped for surgery, that the doctors told her she is lucky to be alive, that she was about 8 weeks along and they usually burst the fallopian tube at six weeks. If things go well, she will be home tomorrow afternoon.

I will be heading to town tomorrow morning as soon as I can. There's no point in going in tonight since she will be in surgery and then in recovery and won't be allowed visitors and Kelly is there with her. There is nothing I can do except be nervous there instead of being nervous here. Tomorrow I will be able to see her and then help take care of her and the kids while my SIL goes to work.

I'm feeling a little guilty since I did not listen to my intuition. When will I learn not to question my inner voice that sends me clear and direct messages. I was afraid this is what it was from the beginning. I should have insisted she go to the hospital last week. I am so thankful it did not burst her fallopian tube and that my SIL urged her to go to the hospital this morning.

So I don't know when I will be back. I may stay for several days or I may bring the kids back with me. Won't know til I get there, til she gets home, til I have her in my arms again.



28 comments:

  1. Oh Ellen how scary! And lots of multiple level emotional stuff going on too... I'll keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. I'm glad she went to the hospital when she did. She'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Ellen. Thankfully she did get in to the hospital so they can help her. ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ellen - take care of your girl and your self. you did verything right, all that you knew and she'll be safe. steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, Thank goodness she had surgery in time. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't waste any energy feeling guilty. Thank god she got in and received a proper diagnosis. Eight weeks? That's really something.

    Sending loving, healing energy to you and her and all those around her. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never stop being moms! Nothing is worse than worrying and not being able to be right there. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellen

    my thoughts are with you at this scary time. I wish your daughter a quick recovery.

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just talked to my SIL and Kelly. My daughter is in recovery but the fetus had eaten up her fallopian tube so that's gone and, as I understand it, had started to eat away at her intestine. The doctor cleaned out all the bad stuff with a laparoscopy. I'm unclear if she has an internal infection or they fear one. If the intestine gets infected, that's some serious bad news and serious surgery. they are keeping a close eye on her tonight and depending on how she's doing tomorrow she could be home by noon. If she had waited one more day, it would have catastrophic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellen, I'm so glad she went to the hospital, she's in the best hands. Sending all good thoughts to you and your daughter, much peace and strength. Hope she's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness she is alright. I know what you mean about intuition. It never fails us. My thoughts are with you and your daughter. I hope she is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We worry about grownup children as much as when they are young. It is especially difficult if they are far away and we feel no control or ability to help them. Good wishes for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck to you and yours. Here's hoping that everything works out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Life is tricky. You listen to your inner voice and then ignore it. But even if you'd jumped up and down, the experts declared otherwise. You did the best you could. And hopefully all will be well.

    Your daughter is fortunate to have you for her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending you all good thoughs and prayers. They caught it [still stunned by the one Doc who gave her antibiotics for an infection, gah!] and I am sure that she will be fine.

    Your intuition was right on but you both decided she couldn't be pregnant so no harm, no foul - don't beat yourself up about this Mother's intuition doesn't come with a handy dandy sonogram machine to see inside, right? ;D

    Hugs! And will be saying our prayers. Take care sweetie. Love ya!

    ~SkippyMom~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is scary stuff. My thoughts and prayer are with all of you. Blessings and peace. xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy! Thank the Lord! This is scary and I am glad she is having surgery soon. I know what you mean about holding her in your arms. Then you will know she is okay.
    Good thoughts and prayers
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good you are available to help your daughter...sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is beyond scary. Take care of her, and hers and don't forget to take care of you. You'll be in my thoughts and I'm sending healing thoughts as well. (((hugs))) until next time

    ReplyDelete
  20. Terrifying, but she got there OK. I agree, no point in the guilt--it could just as easily been something else and you've obviously got a smart daughter--she knew to get to the hospital. Thank heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Intuition - I don't know why we miss trust it over and over again...this is a good reminder to all to take heed of our "knowing"..So scary, painful, scary , painful...Gawd, I hope she will be alright soon and that her intestines not compromised. Be thinking about you and your daughter- healing thoughts.
    xxxooo
    Linda Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how worrying. I hope everything goes well and she can recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, that is scary indeed! I'm glad she is okay though, and my thoughts will be with you and your family, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Ellen, I am so glad your daughter is getting the help she needed. You'll both be better when she has your arms around her. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You, your daughter, and family have been in my prayer vigil.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about what your daughter is going through. I'm sending my best, healing thoughts her way and yours. Please keep us posted when you can. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Take care and thinking of you all. We'll all be here when you get back. Look after her.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.