Wednesday, May 19, 2010

lax in the lumbar



I have been licking my wounds this week. Last Saturday I managed to aggravate the weak spot in the lumbar region of my spine. I was abusing it by vacuuming the house. I know, I know, heinous activity but must be done nonetheless.

Standing is painful unless I'm standing outside on the nice soft giving ground. Sitting in upright and in attentive positions like is necessary to get any kind of work done is not so good. Laying down is great but I don't get much done laying down. Ibuprofen has been my friend.

Oddly enough squatting and digging and weeding and doing surgery on my zucchini plants didn't bother me at all and I'm sure aids in my recovery. I've also been doing some yoga which helps. Two steps forward and one step back. Today has been a one step back day.

Life has been very laid back the last month or six weeks. We are finally starting to get some interest and work. I've submitted one proposal which they accepted less than two hours later, have another to submit and have had two other serious inquiries. And just when I decided that I would devote 2 hours a day to the pate de verre (finally getting interested in that again after a very long time), this happens. Talk about an exercise in frustration and patience.

I know why it happened though. After six years of going to the gym on a regular basis, I have let it slide since the end of last year. My muscle tone, especially my abs, is shot all that digging this spring notwithstanding.

Recovery should not be that far off and in the meantime, I should be glad of another few days of languishing, right? Right?


18 comments:

  1. Back pain makes me shudder in fear - oooh you have my good thoughts coming your way. At least you are out of vacuuming for a few, eh? [I actually miss vacuuming :(]

    Take care and get better soon.

    Congrats on the new works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the back pain lets up soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you! I spent the better part of the day behind a mower. We are still way too wet and a lot of the mowing had to be done with a push mower........I happen to be the operator of that particular machine. My lower back is so tight now. I should have stretched first, I know better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh.. I know how unpleasant back pain can be. I hope you're on the mend before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back pain is a pain! When your back hurts it just makes life miserable. Nice that you can still garden, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the back pain...that sucks. As for waiting on work...that sucks too. I am too! I submitted my portfolio two days ago and am now waiting. I still have one large project I am working on...but no new one in sight yet! Sigh!!!!!
    So I feel your pain all around!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear of the pain. Of course, that should teach you to vacuum, a heinous activity as you so rightly said. In my opinion vacuuming should be outlawed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy I so agree with Mo - ban vacuuming! I swept out the garage the other day & realized that I really am in abyssmal shape - my lower back started hurting about 5 minutes into the task. Fortunately it subsided after I was done.

    Hope you start recuperating soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I were there to do some bodywork. Wish I could send you a gift certificate for a therapeutic massage or a trip to the osteopath.

    Mostly I wish that your back calms down and you can get back to your life.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like all the rest of your bloggie buddies, I am sorry your back hurts. Just keep moving, I know easier said than done. Be well.
    The Olde Bagg Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to report that it is much improved today. Thanks for all the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you heal up quickly and get back to the gym. Glad the work is showing up again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. back pain is the WORST. you never realize how much you use something till it gets busted up.

    if you were closer to dallas i'd send you to the perfect chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Easy does it! Let it rest and then ease back into exercising and getting back your flexibility. Back pain puts us in our places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need more lumbar support all the time, especially in vehicles. Good point about muscle tone being an important consideration. Hope you mend quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear! Back pain can be so debilitating. I do hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not a fan of pain. I hope you feel better very soon, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As long as it is two steps forward and one step back and not one step forward and two back, you are moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.