The little tree frog is still in the birdhouse or was last Sunday when I took this picture. Apparently it didn’t care for having its picture taken because now when it sees me it scuttles back into the birdhouse instead on hanging out on the doorstep.
So apparently, Christmas in July is a thing occurring on or around July 25th originating at a US girl’s camp in 1933 and, unsurprisingly, embraced by retailers as a summer sales event to clear out summer stock. News to me, how did I not know about this?
Here’s an interesting little piece of trivia, the bullwhip was the first human-made object to break the sound barrier, producing a small sonic boom heard as a crack when flicked quickly. If you are interested in the science behind it you can watch this short entertaining video.
Now that I finished Artemis, I’ve taken the first steps towards another shadowbox, very preliminary steps as I don’t have a completed drawing or even settled on a subject matter but I did some resizing of some drawings with which to do a couple of compositions. I’ve drawn in the main focus for three compositions I’m considering. Now to work on the surrounding elements. Maybe I’ll get around to that sometime this weekend.
Another item from the 1440 newsletter…Scientists Release Biggest 2D Map of the Universe. Two links, one of the map that you can zoom in and out of,
the other an article about the map and a guided tour of the universe.
Today is our 50th wedding anniversary, got married at home at three in the afternoon, invited everyone we knew and had a big party that lasted until midnight.
We had a small amount of finger food that people brought, two kegs of beer, the Bride’s keg and the Groom’s keg, floated the Bride’s keg. The next day we went to a movie though neither one of us can remember what we saw and an internet search for movies that week of that year did not ring any bells. When we got back to the house, my parents were there planning to clean house as a surprise which we did not appreciate since we had some illegal drugs sitting around which, thankfully, they had not come across yet. We told them thanks, but no thanks, packed a bag and spent the next week at the family beach house on the far west end of Galveston Island. When we got back a week later and opened the garage with the leftover contents of the Groom’s keg, omg! That leftover beer cooked for a week in a closed garage in the middle of August and the smell was awful.
So yeah, 50 years of not just being married but working together. Feels more like 150. I came close to calling it quits a couple of times and he actually packed a bag and left once but was back several hours later but underneath it all we remained devoted to each other, that or we're just two stubborn people. We’re going out later for lunch and ice cream.



Happy anniversary! That is quite an accomplishment! I've never really thought about leaving my marriage, but if I did think about it I know that would be as far as it got because it would be TOO MUCH WORK to start over.
ReplyDeleteI know right?. There were a lot of factors at the time that kept us together. Our lives were so intertwined, not just kids but our work, the etched glass studio. It needed both of us to make it work. Plus, everything is temporary. Wait long enough and things change.
DeleteHappy Anniversary! That's quite an achievement. I'm divorced and only lasted through 33 years of marriage.
ReplyDeleteMy first marriage only lasted 3 1/2 years. His too. With kids and being partners in our art studio, it just seemed easier to stick it out until the issues resolved themselves.
DeleteHappy 50th. Glad you’re both stubborn. I LOVE that wedding photo!
ReplyDeleteWe had just tapped the keg and filled our fancy wedding champaign glasses with beer when he reached over and pulled me close. I was trying not to spill beer on myself.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteCongrats Ellen! Funny last paragraph. Don't know any couples where it's always a walk in the park. You love eachother that's what matters.
Thank you for recommending paradise. Like it.
Love but also commitment and lives so intertwined with kids and partnership in the etched glass studio that was our livelihood. Throw in a prophetic dream or two before we met and a scrutiny from childhood on of guys with a certain name and spelling, the intense immediate visceral response when I first laid eyes on him (with the name and spelling), promises made before we incarnated, mine to him and his to me and all that couldn't be wrong could it.
DeleteThey are filming the third season of Paradise due to come out March next year.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteLol. You look a little sloshed in that Pic.
Not yet. We had just tapped the keg and filled our fancy wedding champagne glasses when he reached over and pulled me close and I was trying not to spill my beer on me. We were definitely a little sloshed when his father decided to take some more formal pictures later.
Delete50 years is a bloody LONG time! A lifetime for some. Not sure you are nuts or just smart...I am sure that everyone at some point in marriage thinks to pack a bag and disappear for a while. Love has nothing to do with it!
ReplyDeleteWhen things were really hitting bottom is when I started doing the river guide thing. Got me away for long weekends and the occasional longer trip where I could be...someone else.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteNew post
Congrats on your anniversary! I swear, it seems like it rolls around faster every year. If asked, I would have said you last celebrated only a few months ago. I'm beginning to think all those people who told me time would speed up as I aged were right. Despite what looks like shenanigans in the photo you posted, I notice you were keeping your glass level. That's how you make it to 50 years -- keeping the important things level!
ReplyDeleteSome day I'll get the routine down...that's me up above.
DeleteI was just trying to not spill beer on myself when he pulled me close. We had just tapped the keg and hadn't even taken a sip yet.
DeleteHappy Anniversary ❣️ Mike Faunce
ReplyDeleteThanks Mike.
DeleteCongratulations! 150 years feels about right. Modern times are faster than ancient times, so via relativity time slows down. 1976 was a fun year.
ReplyDeleteYep, the last unencumbered year. By that time the next year we had a baby and it was nose to the grindstone to make a living out of the baby etched glass studio.
DeleteSuch a good thing...congrats. You all sure have shown us how to live together for such a long time. Simply amazing.
ReplyDeleteI guess. It wasn't easy. We were both intensely unhappy for a span of years.
DeleteFifty years is a long time. Congratulations on keeping it together.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Things are good now but getting here was...hard.
DeleteCongratulations on the half-century! I'm eager to see the new shadowbox. I have heard the phrase "Christmas in July" and seen it used for store sales, but I didn't realize it was an organized thing with an actual date.
ReplyDeleteThanks. There were times when it was a real struggle. We had to start spending time away from each other. That's when I started the river guide thing. It was such a relief to be in a completely different world with people who did not know him.
DeleteHappy Anniversary ... I don't think I could have managed that much time with the same person! Married twice and that was more then enough for me! I do better on my own!
ReplyDeleteHallmark runs Christmas in July sappy sweet movies all through the month of July!
We were partners in the glass art studio which was one thing that tied us together but we mostly worked in separate buildings which spilled oer into the homelife, usually in separate rooms in the house. Which still holds to this day. We have meals together and an hour or so in the evening watching some show but all other times we live in separate parts of the house.
DeleteCongratulations for being stubbornly committed. I agree with you about the devotion, we often wonder how on earth we keep this show going what with all the arguments and disagreements but in the end it boils down to just one look, or one worn out joke, one rueful remark.
ReplyDeleteXmas in July is a big thing in NZ for people who emigrated there (or their family before them) and who find it weird to celebrate in December, the middle of the antipodean summer. Obviously also a big commercial thing. Santa in a warm winter coat is just different to Santa in shorts on a surf board.
Lots of ties that bind. We had more than one or two. Too much trouble to untangle it all and worse standard of living if we did.
DeleteConsidering it's often in the 70s here in December I've never really associated christmas specifically with cold weather.
Happy anniversary ellen! 50 years is a very big deal! I love the vibe between in that wedding picture you shared. We celebrate 40 years of marriage in a few days. We Taurus women got married the same week in August. Enjoy your ice cream!
ReplyDeleteThanks! 50 is a big deal. I've spent 2/3 of my life with this man.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDelete2 new posts
I saw them. One I commented on, the newest I didn't really have anything to say.
DeleteI guess you've gone private because blogger would not let me go to your blog and the newest post on exceptionalism. I need to be invited.
DeleteCodex
DeleteYeah it was necessary. Thanks for letting me know. Bad behavior is rubbing off on people. The offensive post has been removed by her.
Want to be invited?
Codex
ReplyDeleteSorry second question. Is it still showing up as private?
Yes, just now. And yes, I want to be invited.
DeleteCodex
DeleteI'm thinking of options so it might take me a while.
Stupid world