Wednesday, August 26, 2026

the rich, 80, and misc pics


Beauty berries beginning to turn their glorious deep purple.





In case you ever thought rich people didn’t live in a completely different universe while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet, a rich guy in Houston who lives on River Oaks Blvd., the place for the obscenely wealthy, just bought the 15,000 sq ft mansion next door for 15.5 million dollars and plans to tear it down because…he never liked that house (though I hesitate to call it just a house). 


He plans to combine his property, an acre, with the newly acquired acre and put in an English garden and build a pool house. An English garden in Texas, on the Gulf Coast Plains. We do not have the climate for an English garden though I suppose if he went with native perennials he could get something comparable. Whatever, the guy can buy a $15.5 million mansion just to tear it down he definitely has enough money to hire a slew of gardeners to maintain it. The only saving grace is that he plans to donate $4 million in usable materials to Habitat For Humanity, that and one less mansion and more flowers and trees.


Baby steps on the new shadow box which I still haven’t received. I ordered it last week and thought it was supposed to come on Monday, but apparently not until the weekend. Meantime I transferred the individual drawings to watercolor paper.





White wing doves continue to mob the bird feeder on the days I fill it. Anywhere from 5 - 8 crowded on it with just as many on the ground and twice as many in the trees above it and when they’re not mobbing the bird feeder they’re mobbing the birdbath. 



I have to go out there every now and then and shoo them away so that the little birds have a chance. I’ve had two unusual visitors to the bird feeder today, a blue jay earlier and just now a flicker.


This is my favorite little water sprinkler. It gets moved all around the yard and when I remove it from whichever hose and am through watering for the day I try to put it back in the empty pot in the barn that I keep small misc yard stuff in so that I know where it is the next time I want to use it. I don't always remember to do that and so I spent Saturday looking all over for it. I looked in all the places in the yard it could possible be and could not find it. So Sunday I got online and ordered a new one after searching for it again even though I figured it would turn up eventually. I walked out Monday morning, turned the corner around the garage and there it was in plain sight on this overturned bucket right next to a pot with a plant in it I water nearly every day. I must have walked right past it a dozen times. Well, now I have two.





I was laying in bed last night thinking about Dolly Parton dying at 80 yesterday, the 25th (I already did one eulogy this week and so many have already written about what a shining soul Dolly was). She was only 4 years older than I am. It was a very sobering realization. And now this morning we learn that Tim Curry also died yesterday, also 80. Do I only have four more years left? Or seven, Joanne was 83. Eighty seems to be a threshold I am rapidly approaching. I looked in the mirror the other day, something I don’t really do that often besides just a glance, and I thought I looked older than I did just a few days previous. It seems that’s how it goes, maintaining a look and then overnight new wrinkles appear, bags under the eyes not there one day are there the next. While my hair still has more color than gray, the gray continues to creep in. Even so, I’m aiming for late 90s and have two women on my father’s side that bode well for that.


And last a little green tree frog hanging out on the moon. The moon being that part of the carved glass set of windows in my bedroom.




5 comments:

  1. That does indeed look like a handy little sprinkler.
    I just don't want to talk about getting older today. Some people handle it with grace. I fear I don't. And I'll die when I die. I'm shocked I've lived this long.
    We have all plain gray doves at our feeder. They are selfish little things, aren't they?
    Yeah. I'd tear that mansion down too. It's sort of ugly. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Gates did the same thing 20 or so years ago. He bought a very expensive house on Lake Washington in Medina and then bought the two on each side then knocked them all down and built a Northwest Contemporary house into the bank of the lake extending the full length of the property’s. It is a very nice house but it is very big. You can see it from the scenic boat tour on the lake. You first see the house and say “that’s a nice house”. They you go a little further and say “that’s a nice house too… no that’s the same house”. Then you go a little further and say “that’s also a nice house too… no, that’s still the same house”. It’s nice to have money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's natural for losses to bring those sorts of thoughts. I think especially the loss of Joanne has hit everyone hard, and now these celebrity deaths have accentuated that. (I hadn't heard about Tim Curry!) Two favorite sprinklers are not a bad thing!

    Normally I rail against billionaires, but I gotta say that guy is right to tear down that hideous mansion and put in a garden. More power to him, especially if he gives to Habitat in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can probably see that mansion from space! Looks very like a cult compound. 15million probably does not go far these days of absurdity- it's like twenty bucks is now a dollar! Bully for the buyer with high hopes of an
    English garden in the desert as climate change robs us of even. more water. , frying the planet to a crisp. Brilliant.
    A sudden. death is what I am hoping for- age doesn't really matter, just let me blow up spontaneously, please. Aging is no different than any other stage of life- adjustment is challenging as the wheels fall off and the paint rusts..It is something new to us especially having been so vital and beautiful all of our lives- right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lost two baseball caps this summer. Somewhere in the house. Maybe I should just buy two more and they’ll turn up. I’d tear that house down, too. But isn’t it obscene that most people can’t afford to buy a home while he can spend $15 million to tear one down? At least (and I do mean least) he’s donating to Habitat for Humanity.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.