Thursday, August 20, 2026

drawing, hot, docs, shoes


I did spend time this past weekend on drawings and I have a composition for one of the shadow box ideas. This one will be bigger, 5” x 7”, horizontal presentation. 


I like the composition but it’s going to be harder to construct because the elements are much narrower so I’m not really sure exactly how I’m going to put it all together. I may set it aside and work on the other two sketches before I commit. I didn’t do much else over the weekend except draw and read and play The Vault, a puzzle game, on my phone. I've made my way through 49 so far. You have to find hidden objects that activate the puzzles which you have to solve to be able to open the vault.


Monday morning when I went out about 8 am it felt a little cool. Whoa. Checked the weather app, 74˚. So I got the shovel and turned the ground where the four tomato plants were, added some compost and turned that in trying to get a jump on preparing for the winter garden. Then at 12:30 it was 88˚ felt like 109˚ and continued to get hotter. Still no rain, the ground is cracking, the grass in the sun is turning brown, high temps 99˚, feels like stepping out into a blast furnace with the wind from the south. The next chance of rain is Saturday. Tuesday morning I dug up four small coral porterweed volunteers put them in pots (two days later they seem to be fine). 


The dirt was so dry it just fell away from the roots so I don’t know if they will make it even though I saturated the little pots with water but little things don’t like to be bare rooted. There are two more fairly big volunteers but the ground was so hard I watered them first. I’ll see about digging them up later. Yesterday I watered the porterweed and it burst into bloom this morning. The individual little flowers are only about 3/8" across.



Next Monday I go in for fasting bloodwork and the next Monday after that I go in for a six month check up with my PC doc. My dexa scan last February showed the osteoporosis getting worse. It’s been three years since the last one and only one number out of six changed more than a tenth of a point up or down but she wants to talk about going on the medication which I do not want to do for several reasons. I have been inundated on SM with ads for calcium and other supplements. The ads are all the same, very long testimonials that after taking calcium and still having continued bone loss I took this supplement because it has this special ingredient that helps the body absorb and direct the calcium to your bones and in just six months my bone density improved markedly. And of course, the only place you can buy these miracle bone building supplements is from their online shop exclusively sometimes with an automatic reorder. So I’ve written down some of the claims about the added nutrients and supplements to talk to my doc about and see what she thinks. 


Next month I have three appointments, first is with the ophthalmologist for my annual eye exam and to see if the other eye is ready for cataract surgery and then my sixth month check up with the EP (electrophysiologist, heart rhythm specialist), and last is the dermatologist which I thought was Wednesday and got up at 7 am, left the house at 7:25 to get to my 8 am appointment in Rosenberg and then drove right back home. I wondered why they hadn’t sent me a text to confirm. By the end of September I should be good to go for another 6 months.


There used to be two things I would never buy online, clothes and shoes but now I've started buying shoes online. The thing about shoes is I wear 7.5 or 8 depending on the shoe. I did buy some sandals online two years ago and judging by their sizing guide I ordered an 8, the size was fine but the quality was not and 6 months later I needed new sandals. New company that offered 3 month trial and easy free return. Their sizing guide indicated an 8 which was too big. Returned them and got a 7 1/2 which fit great. So the CostCo online sales catalog came, $7 off hands free step in washable sneaker type Sketchers. 

No problem, I have a pair of Sketchers 7 1/2, ordered a pair. Did they fit? No, too small. I ordered another pair size 8, fit great so now I have something like 6 months to return the first pair to CostCo. I’ll drive by there on my way back from the EP next month and do it then.



2 comments:

  1. Codex
    Love the composition.
    Idea: paint the whole thing except the crane. Color copy.
    Use thre reeds on foam (color copy) paint the crane stick it on higher foam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Codex
    Sorry Ellen vit d only known supplement that increases calcium absorption and you're getting enough of that in Texas.

    Too much calcium also bad.
    Here: https://osteoporosis.ca/calcium-supplementation/https://osteoporosis.ca/calcium-supplementation/

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.