Tuesday, March 7, 2023

two days and two hours of hard labor


Two full days in a row working in the yard and groan, my back is here to testify. I had/have several objectives...start mowing down/pulling up the thick carpet of cleaver that has taken over the entire back part of the yard beyond the last flowerbed and the field. Also creeping along the east side. First I tried a rake as it pulls up easily but it just became a sticky bundle of sticky weed. Then I got out the gas trimmer. One full gas tank worth is about all I can do at one time and did the west side of the barn that is on the west side of the yard. and a section in the back on Saturday. Sunday I did the east side of the yard behind the flowerbed on that side. I still have that much and more to do across the back.

My other objective was to finally finish getting my garden plot ready so I finished weeding the area, spread out a bag of composted peat and a bag of stuff called landscapers mix that helps improve clumpy soil and then spread granular fertilizer over all that and then turned it all in.

Now I'm finally ready to plant my four little tomato plants and whatever other vegetable I decide to put in. The Feed Store, Tractor Supply, and the Hungerford Coop are getting their spring vegetable plants in.

Then I potted up all the cuttings that have been rooting all winter on the corner of my desk; three yellow angel trumpets one of which put out a bloom bud, two pots of morning glory bush, one pot of pink angel trumpet, and one pot of firespike

and some of the other plants that live on the etageres on the little patio by the back door. I still need to haul the plumerias and cereus out of the garage. And to that end I went to Tractor Supply for a new wheel and replaced the one that split apart on the two wheeler hand cart.

I also weeded another section of the flowerbed on the west side and started setting up the sprinkler. It is so dry here. And if all the evening primrose that have completely covered the big backyard bloom, it will be a carpet of pink.

Throw in another two hours in the rising humidity yesterday digging up more sow thistle and pulling up more cleaver around the front, hauling two garden cart loads to the now ash pile (Marc burned Sunday) and I think I sweated more in those two hours than I did all last weekend. 

------------

The indian paintbrush have come into bloom. The field behind us and other empty swaths of land are being blanketed in orangy red.

The mock dogwood is starting to bloom way too early,

and the false freesia is doing its best to colonize the entire yard.

Sunday's sunset.




20 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly have more energy than me, Ellen! It's too early for much gardening here in Illinois but I never do as much in a day or two as you described! You are surrounded by beautiful blooms, tho, so your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have a short window before it gets too hot todo much outside.

      Delete
  2. I have cleaver too. Did not know that's what it's called. It has not taken over yet but I'm sure it will try, fighting all the rest of the invasives for dominance.
    Sigh.
    Damn, you are a hard and determined worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically had two and a half days to get as much done as I could.

      Delete
  3. Dang woman! That is a lot of work you've done. It's never ending, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially out here in the county with the big lot size and wild stuff all around.

      Delete
  4. Geez, take a day off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the indian paintbrush field! and i laugh reading your struggle with the cleavers. I encourage my cleaver, my battle would be with fireweed and raspberries, but not for a long time, July probably. It does always make me realize, how we fight mother nature, the contradiction of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The primrose and the paintbrush are my favorites - so pretty! We're apparently dry here - we're under a fire warning today due to dry and high winds. I don't remember that happening around here before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the blower out and acted like I didn't know how to use it, so HeWho took over. I raked up huge piles of leaves while he blew them out of my gardens. I like playing a dimwitted woman for help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very envious, such bloom you have! We had sleet today all afternoon. The plumeria is still waiting inside and most of the garden beauties are thickly wrapped up or in the greenhouse. Only the almond trees are starting to flower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness ... your flowers are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, to get flowers like yours, you have to work as hard as you. I hear you about the brief time before it's too hot to work outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited my TX cousin one year when everything was in bloom. Indian paint brush, bluebonnets were profuse. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an awful lot of work to compress into a couple of days, but I suspect that where you live there is a special incentive to get it done before oppressive heat takes over. This kind of yard work reminds us that we are not getting any younger! Hope your aching muscles are now aching a little less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took one look at that photo at the top and said, "So that's what that is." I come across it every now and then, and you're right that it's sticky as can be. Taking a cleaver to it seems reasonable -- or a gas trimmer. I was sweating pretty good myself this weekend, and especially yesterday. I vaguely remember saying in December of January, "I'll be glad when it warms up." Warm, yes. Hot? Not so much. I have hopes for this coming "front" that they're saying will produce 70s for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your Indian paintbrush every spring. I think the plant you call "mock dogwood" is related to (or possibly the same as) our mock orange -- a species of Philadelphus. I didn't realize you had something so similar in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's very similar but mock orange has thorns and a fragrance, mock dogwood has neither. well, I just looked it up and I can't find any reference to mock dogwood which is what I was told it was called. so more correctly scentless mock orange or philadelphus inodorus.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.