Saturday, March 11, 2023

cardio drumming and yard work, lots of yard work


I've started a new activity, cardio drumming once a week. This class is led by a young woman working on her doctorate in occupational therapy and this is her doctoral capstone. Tuesday night was week 3 of 8. It's so much fun! About 45 minutes of using drumsticks to beat on an exercise ball on top of a bucket in different patterns; top, sides or top, sides, bucket (squats) or alternating front and back or or or. Last class we added leg (stepping out to the side), foot (marching), and arm movements (stretching up or out to the side), getting more complex (not for the seriously uncoordinated, there were a couple of times I flubbed getting my feet and beat together) all to music from the late 60s and 70s. I worked up a sweat. (Picture taken before class started, I wasn't the only one).

I finally got my tomatoes in and scattered my zinnia seeds on Wednesday and then pulled all the plumerias out of the garage (I gave two of my big ones away last fall) and into the staging area in front of the barn for a good watering and transition from no light to mostly shade before putting them around the yard. Still have to move the monster cereus.

I think I've gotten almost all the cleaver out from around the bluebonnets in the front and I think I'm sufficiently recovered from last weekend to tackle the back with the gas trimmer again so that's what I did yesterday and today. I also folded up and put away all the sheets, plastic bags, and tarps I use in the winter to cover things. Speaking of which, the bird of paradise I planted in the ground has sent up two new leaves but I think the bougainvillea froze.

The big backyard is looking very ragged right now. The anemones are done and gone to seed, the walking onions have put up their seed head 'blooms' which I usually collect and trash before they hit the ground but I'm not doing that this year as my chosen battle is with the cleaver instead.

The fleabane is blooming and I'm starting to get patches of evening primrose.

Yesterday and today were yard work days and that's my plan for tomorrow. The plan is to get whatever other food plants in. I don't have a lot of room but maybe yellow squash and bell pepper, potatoes and green beans. I've spent the last two days whacking/pulling cleaver and moving the sprinkler around. It's so dry and we really need some rain.

I hope to be back to my regular routine soon, catching up on blogs, but right now time is of the essence.


14 comments:

  1. Our exercise instructor is adding new and more strenuous stuff. It's all a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have the option of sitting and just doing the arm movements and two of the women do choose to sit.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could drum up some stamina and muscle. That sounds like fun. I'm enjoying pulling up cleaver. It's my organic workout. LOL. It's called cleaver because it cleaves like a man should cleave to his wife. :) This is one of the best springs yet for lovely wildflowers formerly known as weeds.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new drumming routine. It's the kind of exercise I would love to do. Very interesting. Our gardening projects are several weeks behind yours. We're in for a major rainfall this week, and we've had snow, frosts, and lots of really crappy weather. Soon, they say, thing will get better. I always believe them. Take care there and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever innovative ways work to keep you lithe and supple, and your cardio-vascular system in good working order, is all to the good. So keep on beating those drums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buckets and balls! How original! I love it! I doubt I could do it for five minutes but in theory, it sounds terrific.
    Your wildflowers are a joy. I have to get zinnia seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. compared to the work you already do in the garden my efforts are laughable. It's far too early here for many things, even starting off tomatoes etc. is a bit hopeful unless you have a heated greenhouse. I just stand at the window pushing my nose up to the glass and hope for warmer days soon.
    Great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. not anonymous, it's Friko (last comment) Bloody Google

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that would have to be a big nope from me (who once fell over like a tree in Jazzercise class while trying to do the grapevine). On the other hand, I'm trying to work on my upper body & back strength so that part would be excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That exercise routine sounds pretty fun! I could get into that, I think. Your spring is definitely well ahead of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That season is still a dream here. Not even violets yet.

    I'm hearing about cardio drumming, and think it would be no time at all before I got arms and legs and drumsticks tangled. Fun for people who can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a novel approach to exercise. It sounds like fun, once it's learned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a great combination of exercises, arms and shoulders and legs and cardio and balance. I am hopeful that spring has not bypassed us - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like the fleabane popped up along the roads here overnight. All things considered, you're doing a great job of getting the yard and plants in order, and I can't imagine how you have the energy for cardio drumming after the work you do. It does look like fun. I'm just trying to keep sugar out of my diet. It's not easy, because I have developed a real sweet tooth over the years -- and I come from a family that always considered ice cream perfect acceptable for breakfast or a bedtime snack. Arrrrgh!

    I was over at the Attwater preserve and was astonished to find acres and acres of bluebonnets. For some reason, I didn't think that was bluebonnet territory. I found some white ones, and some pale blue, and some that were a combination of deep blue and white,which I never had seen before. To make up for all that, there was more bull nettle than I've ever seen. Believe me, I was careful.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.