Tuesday, September 13, 2022

boxed and ready to go


Sunday I packed up the coral reef box into its inner box (I did not add an extra piece of coral after all), boxes since dividing it up was easier with the boxes I have on hand.

Then Monday began the search for the outer boxes, as close to an extra 4” in all three dimensions as I can find. I got one at the grocery store and one at the Evil Empire. One will have to be cut down in height, easy enough; both are too wide, instead of the extra 4” I prefer, one is 6”, the other 7”. That's a lot of extra width but it's the closest I can get to what I need and ends up costing more to ship since the post office charges by weight and size. When I lived in the city I could just run down to the Box Store and could almost always get exactly what I needed.


I know that sounds confusing but if you want to bomb proof something for shipping, the inner box should be 2” bigger all the way around than the object you are shipping, filling that space on all four sides, top, and bottom with cushioning material...foam, newspaper, old bubble wrap, peanuts (I only use peanuts when I have plastic newspaper bags to contain them). Then that box goes into another box with the same 2” of space all the way around, top, and bottom and fill that space with cushioning material.

Loose peanuts aren't really good for shipping fragile objects (though my cast pieces aren't particularly fragile) because they shift and your fragile object could end up next to the side of the box with nothing in between.

Anyway, I got the packing finished today and I'll ship them off tomorrow.

The night blooming cereus bloomed again last night, the fifth set of blooms it's given this summer. I think the most I ever got before was three sets. Last night 7 of the 9 buds opened and tonight the last two will open. I woke at about 4 AM and went out to see (they usually haven't opened by the time I go to bed). My flashlight was too bright so I couldn't get any really good pictures.


Two other white bloomers, the bridal bouquet plumeria and the butterfly ginger.


I'm still waiting for that cooler drier weather they keep promising. 



21 comments:

  1. I wish we were neighbors and not just because I am overly fond of white night-bloomers.

    If I could have purchased The Box it would be perfect for the pearl pearl earrings we gave our daughter for her high school graduation, and the pearl ring for college graduation. If it were mine, I'd fill it with Hope.

    Happy shipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who are you? Could I have a name please?

      Delete
  2. You have learned to be a great packer! That is how my DAD taught me to pack stuff for shipping home when I was out and about in the world. I think that your package could make it through a war zone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many years ago I sold an Apache winnowing basket on Ebay. My grandparents had bought it in the '30's. I sold it for about $1500. Then I tried and tried to cut down an about 3x3x3 used shipping box and no way it was going to be firm enough not to bend at some crease and ruin the basket. And it suddenly came to me: some person has given you a lot of money for this basket; have the respect to spend a little of it at a box store to have a decent shipping carton made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great packing! I've moved so many times over the years, I learned how to pack so everything arrived unbroken and ready for use. Your white flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go to all that trouble when packing to move as I'm the one carrying the boxes. I go to this extreme when shipping because who knows how the boxes get thrown around or stacked.

      Delete
  5. Way back when I dealt in antique porcelain and art pottery, I got to be a dab hand at packing, which I hated. The shipping was the not fun part, and it's why I've never sold via eBay and those online sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind it so much when I have everything I need and the right size. I've been bringing home small sturdy boxes from SHARE but it's the big ones I have a hard time finding. Fortunately I have/had a big stash of small and large foam pieces acquired when a gallery decided they didn't want to represent me anymore and sent all my work back at once.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! The flowers are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cost of shipping is getting a little crazy. My wife has an ETSY shop and the shipping sometimes costs as much as the product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ship FedEx until a friend told me he always used the postal service and everything arrived intact. It's been considerably cheaper than the private delivery services.

      Delete
  8. Must feel good to have it all packed up. You have a white theme going on with your flowers today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen- it's 67 degrees here right now! It feels amazing! Supposed to get up to 88 later but...
    There used to be a shipping store next to Publix a long time ago and I loved that place. I could just take stuff in and they'd pack it for me. Of course I never sent any valuable art pieces but for regular stuff, it was amazing. Hurray for you for getting that beautiful glass piece ready to go. Do you hold your breath until it arrives safely? I would.
    Funny how flowers of the same color bloom at the same time. Your white blossoms are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slept til almost 9 this morning so if it was that cool I missed it though our highs are supposed to be high 80s for a while. I'll take it. My brother makes these really fine wood reproductions of cars and he sent one to our sister and that's what he did, took it to one of those UPS shipping stores to pack and ship and it arrived broken. They really have no idea how to pack fragile or delicate objects. Do I worry when it's in route? Not really.

      Delete
  10. I know it's not, but it almost feels like the shipping piece is as complex and time consuming as the creating piece! Love the white bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a whole day. It's like a jigsaw puzzle using the torn and small pieces of foam or whatever to fill the spaces between the boxes. I used foam, peanuts in a bag, air filled plastic bags, old bubble wrap.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on a beautiful work completed and packed. It has been a joy to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those white blooms are gorgeous! Congrats on getting the lovely box shipped!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know that about peanuts shifting, and etc. From now on, if I have the need to ship something off, like Christmas gifts, I'll make it a point to put the peanuts in their own bags. One reason I gave up ebay (or, rather -- didn't consider it for some things I want to get rid of) is the cost and complexity of shipping. I never had any of the china I sold arrive broken, but the cost and time isn't worth it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know about the peanut shifting thing either... thanks! I have to laugh here... I've tried having garage sales to get rid of my 'stuff' but they're a lot of work for not much money. So now I just give stuff away--asking family and friends first before donating to local charity thrift shops. Packing for mailing is a PITA. But necessary... Good luck with selling your piece--it shouldn't take long at all.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.