Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Saharan dust and more progress on the coral reef waxes


Tuesday the sky was white again (and today) and not from clouds though there are some clouds up there.

Looking across my neighbor's yard and the cotton field, it is hazy.

I think I made a decent start on the coral sculpture for the top of the box on Monday and Tuesday, mostly just working on individual corals using the small rocks as a base to build them up on though there won't be any consistency as relates to where in the world any particular coral grows or as it relates to relative size of one coral to another. Today I finished the one in progress from yesterday and then worked on smoothing out and cleaning up the four I already have constructed.

These are small, about 1 1/2” longest dimension. Top left is from a reproduction mold I made years ago of a piece of coral. I think I'll make at least two more, giving me 7 corals and the little crab,

before I start trying to composes all the elements into some sort of cohesive arrangement.

I didn't go to yoga class in El Campo at all last week and it's canceled for this week. Abby was out of pocket last week and recovering from being sick this week. I have been making an effort at my home practice, even managed 5 days in a row last week but only 2 so far this week though I have been pretty consistent putting in two hours a day in the studio as I need to get all the wax models done and move on to the next step.

The crepe myrtles are blooming. These are two of the three across the front of the house. I don't think they have ever bloomed this well since we've been here. Apparently they like the hot dry weather. 




14 comments:

  1. Those trees are great. Evidently they like being dried and baked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world gets smaller and smaller, blowing dust that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the corals and crab

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had three crepe myrtle trees in our yard in San Diego. Messy as all get-out, but gorgeous in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting anxiously to see the box completed; it will be splendid I have no doubt. Maybe you can work a speck of Sahara dust into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The corals look great! I can't wait to see what composition you come up with. I'm glad to know something is flourishing in that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No dust here as far as I can tell. How very strange to think that it can travel so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the air and skies clear up there soon. I love the corals and am looking forward to seeing what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My crepe myrtles are blooming like crazy too. I thought it was due to my finally watering them more than in previous years. Did you see the moon around 6 AM today? I have never seen anything like it. Of course my 35mm cameras needed battery charge. iPhone and iPad cameras did not do it justice. (In Katy)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those corals look great! I can't wait to see how they all come together on the box. I love crape myrtle season - all the different colors around here are just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The corals look organic, beautifully crafted. Lovely trees, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous flowering trees. I just look up crepe myrtle here and it's only known as a shrub, not a a tree, maybe due to our winters.
    We have a collection of (dead, broken pieces of) coral and your pictures made me dig them out. What gorgeous creatures they are. One of my dreams is to witness coral spawning which only happens for a few nights every year. Have a look here: https://youtu.be/wsaZ8-I7akg

    ReplyDelete
  13. The corals are great, but I really like that little crab. I've started finding crab pieces on the docks when I go to work in the morning. Apparently the night birds are partying hearty when there's no one around. Did you know that crepe myrtle is the Texas state shrub? Once it was selected, some of the native plant people were irritated enough to challenge the choice, since it's not a native plant. A compromise was struck, and now the Cenizo, or purple sage, is our state native shrub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It rained on me for five minutes yesterday. For two minutes, it was a real shower.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.